• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yellow Cat To Offer WI DOJ Concealed Carry Course

oak1971

I know two older ladies (both WI residents) that are interested in Wisconsin and Florida permits. Will send them your way if you are so inclined.

MKEgal

oak1971 said:
I know two older ladies (both WI residents) that are interested in Wisconsin and Florida permits. Will send them your way if you are so inclined.
IIRC, Florida requires live fire. I'm willing to work with them if we can find a range.
Can do the WI-DOJ based class, then an hour or so at the range.

John Canuck

IIRC, Florida requires live fire. I'm willing to work with them if we can find a range.
Can do the WI-DOJ based class, then an hour or so at the range.

I don't think Florida has that requirement.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/ap.../Concealed Weapon_ApplicationInstructions.pdf

Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
 any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
 any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
 any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency,
junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
 any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
 any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.
The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible. The certificate/document must include your name, the instructor's name, the instructor's signature, and the instructor's certification number.
Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:
 documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;
 active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with a
firearm gained during your service: military orders including call to active-duty letter; a statement of military service signed by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which identifies you and provides your date of entry on your current active-duty period;
 former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.

Last edited:

rj2

if its a weekend & around milwaukee i would be in for both WI & UT

jpm84092

WI DOJ RULE CHANGES & Yellow Cat Response & Fee Changes

The suspension of the 4 hour requirement first issued as an emergency rule by WI DOJ changes everything. It is now quite clear that a UT course will satisfy Wisconsin requirements. However, I will still issue WI Supplemental Certs for the UT Class.

The new plan - conduct the UT course - close out the UT course and sign applications and Certs - then use the WI Slide Presentation prepared by DOJ to cover WI law (we will have already covered Federal Law in the UT Course and will have already done firearms familiarity and safety.) This should take maybe one additional hour - and then to satisfy some of the requests from former students, a bit of advanced training. (My former students are encouraged to audit this course - for free.)

My apologies to those expecting absolutely free training. My colleagues have pointed out to me that while they plan to offer WI and UT courses in WI at prices lower than market, they will not be matching my pricing schedule. And WI Carry members might wish to keep in mind that the UT course is going for between $120 -$160 in WI. Please remember that while you do not see yourself needing reciprocity in other States today, your situation tomorrow may change. And, being eligible for a UT permit does not mean that you have to rush right out and apply - although if you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

By way of review, my (revised as of today) fees are:

Not a member of any 2A organization = $40
(Any such persons can save $5 by spending $10 before the course to join WI Carry)
Member of WI Carry (but not NRA) = $25 (non member spouse + $5)
Member of WI Carry & NRA = $20 (non-member spouse +$5)
Non Combat Vet = $20 (spouse = + $5 unless other discount applies)
Combat Vet = $15 (spouse = + $5 unless other discount applies)
DAV or Purple Heart = $10 (spouse = + $5)
Purple Heart or DAV + Bronze Star or Silver Star = $5 (Spouse = + $5)
Metal of Honor = I pay you $20 to attend my course. (Spouse = free)
A victim of domestic violence = Subtract $10 from your fee - you may tell MKEgal in confidence
Member of the WI Legislature who voted for AB 35 = Free

Adult Child of any of the above gets "spouse" rate. No proof of meeting any requirement is needed. If you lie to me, this tells me that a couple of bucks is more important than your integrity. And, I do not believe for one minute that any member of WI Carry would or could fall into this category.

As to Friday classes, many have posted, but none have answered my call for a PM (Private Message). This tells me that some are testing the water but unwilling to commit. When I get commitment, I will make a decision on a Friday Course, and, it will be the UT Course (with Supplemental Cert to meet WI requirements).

Yellow Cat Out

jpm84092

The UTAH Concealed Firearm Permit Course meets:

 any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.
The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible. The certificate/document must include your name, the instructor's name, the instructor's signature, and the instructor's certification number.

Thus, a copy of the UT application + Supplemental WI Cert meets FL permit application requirements.

Yellow Cat Out -

jpm84092

We now have more interest in the UT course than we have chairs. All participants must, if they can, bring lawn chairs or other chairs - or be prepared to sit on the floor.

Yellow Cat Out =

MKEgal

John Canuck said:
I don't think Florida has that requirement.
Color me surprised. You're right...
(Not surprised you're right, but that I misremembered. LOL)
I don't know where I got that idea. Maybe because the course I took to get my FL permit included live-fire.

rj2 said:
if its a weekend & around milwaukee i would be in for both WI & UT
touchdowntodd said:
what time is the saturday class now?
The Saturday class starts @ 10:00, be there at least 09:45.
East Troy is closer to MKE than Delavan, by maybe 10-15min.

(If you can't make this class, there are other instructors in the area.
As soon as I'm UT certified, I'll post. (Sent in the application, now it's a waiting game.)
Or I can do a WI class, based on the DOJ curriculum.)

jpm84092

I have had a couple of phone calls, (but no PM messages) for a UT/WI course following "Lunch With Vets" on Friday, 11-11-11 at Blue Bay in Mukwonago, WI.(12:00 - 1:00 pm) So far, I have only one student committed to a Friday UT/WI class (UT Fee schedule applies). If this class is held, it will be from 1:15 - 5:15 on Friday, 11-11-11. And, I may indeed hold it for one student.

MKEgal has indicated an interest in lunch with Vets, so if this course is held, there may be two instructors for students.

jpm84092

any word on the possibility of the friday class my friend? :D

Friday class is a go - read your PM Messages. If Friday students want to join us for lunch at Blue Bay in Mukwonago on County Highway ES at noon, we can get started right after lunch and thus perhaps as early as 12:45 which will be better for one student on a tight schedule. Alternately, if students are in the East Troy airport parking lot by 12:30 we will snag you on our way back,

touchdowntodd

i will make my way to the restaurant before 1245 ...

I also may be bringing another student if that is ok with you .. I gave him your contact info because I cant call you from work, I hope that is ok

Last edited:

jpm84092

If the address of the facility was posted I missed it. Could you post the actual address in East Troy please?

EAST TROY AIRPORT - Hanger 20 - on a secure part of the airport civilians cannot get to.

US Interstate 43 - exit at Wisconsin Highway 20. The airport is Southeast of the I-43 exit and impossible to miss. The class will be held in a hanger in the SECURE portion of the airport - which is why students are being asked to assemble at the PARK-N-RIDE (Highway L). Students will be taken by MKEgal (who has the security code) onto the secure hanger.

This is true for the Friday Class and the Saturday Class. Parking in the secure area of the airport is limited, so some students (Friday or Saturday) may need to car pool.

Friday class will begin right after Lunch With A Vietnam Vet (12:00 at Blue Bay in Mukwonago on Walworth Count ES) - AND Saturday class will begin at 10:00 am.