• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee Channel 4 hyping some strory they are going to do tonught at 10...

Outdoorsman1

Milwaukee Channel 4 hyping some strory they are going to do tonught at 10... Something abiut their new team discovered something with the new CC law that could put honest carriers (us) in trouble with the law...

I am sure either they are off base or we already know about whatever it is they are going to report on... But just out of curiosity I am gonna watch it... Saw the lead up (hype) 3 times already tonight...

Outdoorsman1

McNutty

I've been seeing the same promos - they say there is a "loophole" in the law that could make "criminals" out of law-abiding citizens who are packing.... I figured I would tune in to see what likely misinformation they will be spewing tonight.

bmwguy11

So, they said that people with an out of state license can't CCW in wisconsin without first getting a wisconsin permit. Which is true ONLY of wisconsin residents (which they left out, yet they implied that people were oblivious to this and that there are all these wisconsin residents CCW'ing right now with their out of state permits. lol). They went on to say that NO ONE will be able to CCW in wisconsin for a while yet until the first permits get out. (also wrong)

And then they interviewed people who said that it was reckless and ridiculous that they allow out of state licenses to be used to get the wisconsin permit. It focused the story on someone at shooter's shop who also made the same comments.

I know one place I'll never go to buy a gun now. :)

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So as a non-resident with my state's permission slip, I can carry in Wisconsin now, even though you guys haven't received your permission slips yet? Bummer, Dudes...

protias

So, they said that people with an out of state license can't CCW in wisconsin without first getting a wisconsin permit. Which is true ONLY of wisconsin residents (which they left out, yet they implied that people were oblivious to this and that there are all these wisconsin residents CCW'ing right now with their out of state permits. lol). They went on to say that NO ONE will be able to CCW in wisconsin for a while yet until the first permits get out. (also wrong)

And then they interviewed people who said that it was reckless and ridiculous that they allow out of state licenses to be used to get the wisconsin permit. It focused the story on someone at shooter's shop who also made the same comments.

I know one place I'll never go to buy a gun now. :)

Yes, because most of our permits were harder to obtain than a WI one... I have one word for these people, "MORONS!"

So as a non-resident with my state's permission slip, I can carry in Wisconsin now, even though you guys haven't received your permission slips yet? Bummer, Dudes...

Yup... :banghead:

BrewTownBagger

They also indicated the "loop hole" with open carrying in a vehicle.... If the firearm isn't on the dash you can be charged with conceal carrying.

Not sure if I buy that after looking at the actual law and not just the faq's

What say you guys?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Fox 47 Madison was just as inaccurate but with castle doctrine, saying it gives people the right to kill anyone that enters their home. Can't these idiot reporters get anything right?

Last edited:

E6chevron

They also indicated the "loop hole" with open carrying in a vehicle.... If the firearm isn't on the dash you can be charged with conceal carrying.

What say you guys?

The case law definition of "concealed carry" hasn't changed, it still is:

State v. Walls, 1994 courts 526 N.W.2d 765 at 72 clarified crime of concealed carry for jury instruction: [3,4]

we conclude that a person is guilty of carrying a concealed weapon in an automobile where: (1) the weapon is located inside a vehicle and is within the defendant's reach; (2) the defendant is aware of the presence of the weapon; and (3) the weapon is concealed, or hidden from ordinary view—meaning it is indiscernible from the ordinary observation of a person located outside and within the immediate vicinity of the vehicle.

It is difficult to have a handgun, uncased, in a car, and have it easily seen by a person outside and in the immediate vicinity of a car or truck. A vehicle that is is lower to the ground makes it easier, low cut windows can help, if the handgun is in a holster on your hip, it cannot be seen from the outside at all.

What has changed, is that NOW, we can get a CCW license which will make concealed carry legal, in most places. (not on school grounds, a few other places). I discussed this, with Charles Benson of WTMJ channel 4 in Milwaukee on Monday night, during an on camera interview.

----------------------------------

Also on Monday night, at the Concealed Carry informational meeting from 5:30pm to 6:30pm at the DNR Building on Dr. Martin Luther King Drive in Milwaukee, this "hidden loophole" was discussed. The meeting was sponsored by Alderwoman Milele Coggs, State Senator Spencer Coggs, State Representative Elizabeth Coggs and State Representative Leon Young. Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm spoke at this meeting, and it was expressed in many ways, how concerned they were about all the people that could be able to carry legally the next day, Tuesday Nov. 1, 2011.

After it was finally mentioned, that this great number of anticipated first day Concealed Carriers was caused by all the people who already have out-of-state licenses/permits, I said something tactful, like "NOT TRUE". When presssed about my disagreement with the majority, I pointed out the law required a Wisconsin resident to apply for a Wisconsin license and then wait to receive it. I had the statute open on my laptop, and it was decided that this was correct. Several of the people presenting the meeting were obviously suprised. MKEgal was not.

----------------------------------

Except that Nevada is not yet on the List of 26 out-of-state licenses / permits accepted by Wisconsin.

Last edited:

bmwguy11

What say you guys?

Current case law indicates that is correct. If you are "open carrying" in a car, you need to have the gun on the dash basically. Anywhere below the window line is considered "concealed". Even sitting on your seat.

bmwguy11

Fox 47 Madison was just as inaccurate but with castle doctrine, saying it gives people the right to kill anyone that enters their home. Can't these idiot reporters get anything right?

they merely quoted what the democrats said during the bill's "debate"

bmwguy11

After it was finally mentioned, that this great number of anticipated first day Concealed Carriers was caused by all the people who already have out-of-state licenses/permits, I said something tactful, like "NOT TRUE". When presssed about my disagreement with the majority, I pointed out the law required a Wisconsin resident to apply for a Wisconsin license and then wait to receive it. I had the statute open on my laptop, and it was decided that this was correct. Several of the people presenting the meeting were obviously suprised. MKEgal was not.

It's disgusting how much information is being spread about by sources that should know the law inside and out.

Outdoorsman1

To those who actually know the new law, the news report WAS a joke. I suppose to someone who knows nothing about the new law, then THEY will be at LEO risk if the do what the news story reported... It was said that with the new law open carriers can now carry loaded in a vehicle either in a holster or on the seat.

The guy they interviewed from Shooters was their firearms class instuctor, saying how WRONG it was that people who own (older) out of state permits can use them to get WI's permit because they would know nothing about WI law. The whole thing was laughable expect for the unaware will beleive it.....:mad: :mad: :mad: :banghead:

Outdoorsman1

Jason in WI

Yea, the big "LOOPHOLE" that we could use out of state permits. What a joke. Idiot from the Shooter shop was just looking to drum up business.

jpm84092

Not unless your state's permission slip is sitting in your wallet next to an Arizona, Utah, Pennsylvania (or other permit recognized by WI).

In my own case, my UT resident, and my non-resident AZ, and PA permits work in WI, but my NV and FL permits do not work (yet) in WI.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Yes, I also have a UT non-resident permission slip, so I guess I still can. I didn't mean to start a hijack about which states you recognize, just empathize with your overall situation. I hope all the talk and disinformation about the new laws continues to lead to opportunities to get the truth out.