• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit #1 goes to JB Van Hollen

HandyHamlet

Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen had the Justice Department issue the first permit to him as a dry run of the process. Van Hollen said it wasn't favoritism since other people who had finished training were also issued permits Tuesday.

If that was the case the first permit would have gone to Pam Galloway, or a guy in the DOJ mail room, or outdoorsman1, or a Veteran, or a grandmother, or a single mom, or anyone else other than that Van Hollen the liar.

wiscollector

Banned
I thought it was against the law to receive favoritism like this.

Because he got the first one shows that he was treated different than any other citizen applying for a permit.

If a person receives preferential treatment like this, isnt that against the law????????????????

If the person processing the permits had 10 on their desk and they put his on top of the pile just because of who he was, then that person could also be guilty of favoritism and subject to disciplinary action.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Citation please

I thought it was against the law to receive favoritism like this. ...
If a person receives preferential treatment like this, isnt that against the law?

If the person processing the permits had 10 on their desk and they put his on top of the pile just because of who he was, then that person could also be guilty of favoritism and subject to disciplinary action.
Please cite an on point Wisconsin Statute.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/prefaces/toc

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I'd be willing to bet that his was the first one, in order to "test the process" as the articles have claimed.

I'm not surprised that the first one went to someone in the office. Doesn't matter if it was his or someone else in the office. I would like to know who permit 2-10 went to. If they were all officials or state employees, then something isn't right. I'd be willing to bet that the 40+ permits that were printed yesterday went to state employees.

I know people were there the moment the office opened to turn there applications in. Hopefully we'll hear today from them that the magic paper arrived

Captain Nemo

Why shouldn't he have received the first permit? It was his memo of April 20, 2009 that made most of where we are today concerning gun rights in Wisconsin possible. My what a short memory people have.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Wow I guess a lot of people would rather have had a AG that didn't want a permit.

Then one that wanted no.1

I think that it is a good sign that he wanted a permit to begain with.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Decide for yourself if regular citizens are consided a lower class than law makers.

Did anybody see VanHollen in line? He's probably had his shiny new permit since last week.... Two facts, according to the DOJ:
  1. Applications will not be accepted before Nov. 1 because, by law, no B/G checks can be run until then.
  2. Applications will be processed in the order received.
Decide for yourself if regular citizens are a lower class than law makers in Wisconsin....

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I guess I don't really care. If you were JB, wouldn't you want to snag the first one? Sure, it's a little annoying and he got a special privilege, but in the grand scheme of things this is such a small blip on my radar as to be nearly nonexistent. We've got bigger fish to fry people.

xenophon

I have no problem with this. He's earned his position. He's put out memos in the past to help OC. He's pushing out permits DAY ONE. If he wants the first one, that's fine by me.

mrjam2jab

Did anybody see VanHollen in line? He's probably had his shiny new permit since last week.... Two facts, according to the DOJ:
  1. Applications will not be accepted before Nov. 1 because, by law, no B/G checks can be run until then.
  2. Applications will be processed in the order received.
Decide for yourself if regular citizens are a lower class than law makers in Wisconsin....

Didn't wait in line because he was in before the doors opened....he works there. I doubt he had it before yesterday. They have already printed others...no reason why his wasn't the first one printed.

skorittnig

I am more unhappy with his work (or lack of) regarding machine-gun ownership than anything else he has done lately.

skorittnig

How? Isn't that just between the Feds and your local chief LEO or trust lawyer?

No- for quite some time past AG's accepted the difference between a corporation or trust ownership vs. individual ownership----This has since changed under J.B.'s watch--now there is no distinction between the two. Everyone must now have permission from a CLEO--thanks to J.B. VanHollen. The BATF agent I spoke with said this came straight from the AG's office. Other states and their respective AG's acknowledge the difference between a trust/corp. vs. individual ownership--we are now behind in that regard as well. I will not forget this during the next voting cycle.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
No- for quite some time past AG's accepted the difference between a corporation or trust ownership vs. individual ownership----This has since changed under J.B.'s watch--now there is no distinction between the two. Everyone must now have permission from a CLEO--thanks to J.B. VanHollen. The BATF agent I spoke with said this came straight from the AG's office. Other states and their respective AG's acknowledge the difference between a trust/corp. vs. individual ownership--we are now behind in that regard as well. I will not forget this during the next voting cycle.

Thanks, I was unaware of this. Do you have any links or cites?

E6chevron

I'd be willing to bet that his was the first one, in order to "test the process" as the articles have claimed.

I'm not surprised that the first one went to someone in the office. Doesn't matter if it was his or someone else in the office. I would like to know who permit 2-10 went to. If they were all officials or state employees, then something isn't right. I'd be willing to bet that the 40+ permits that were printed yesterday went to state employees.

I know people were there the moment the office opened to turn there applications in. Hopefully we'll hear today from them that the magic paper arrived

I'll cover that bet, how much is it for?

They were taking applications in person, as soon as the doors opened. If the early licenses numbers are very important to you, what time were you there, yesterday?

Most people should be comfortable with the concept: First come, first served.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

That was what JB said, but I don't believe it. They ran test's applications before Nov. 1 to make sure the system works. They did not wait until Tuesday morning on Nov. 1 to 'test' the system.

All the legislators and staffers in the Capital put thier applications put thier applications in the same drop box. I don't know about DOJ employees in the Risser building, but WCI members that went to the Capital to drop off applications are getting really low numbers below 40.

BROKENSPROKET

I guess I don't really care. If you were JB, wouldn't you want to snag the first one? Sure, it's a little annoying and he got a special privilege, but in the grand scheme of things this is such a small blip on my radar as to be nearly nonexistent. We've got bigger fish to fry people.

I agree!!!

skorittnig

Thanks, I was unaware of this. Do you have any links or cites?

I have an email from an ATF supervisor that I have been sharing with various police chiefs in my attempts to obtain this "golden ticket". I'd be happy to discuss this with you via telephone or personal email since it isn't really an OC or handgun directed conversation.