• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying my first handgun soon!!!

Brimstone

If you want superior reliability in a semi-automatic handgun your best bets are wither Glock or a Smith and Wesson M&P. They have different grip angles so I would suggest trying them out and seeing which one you feel more comfortable with. Pick the caliber that you shoot the most accurately. Shot placement will generally serve you better than a slightly larger caliber bullet.

SovereignAxe

So little love for Walther. Makes me sad.

Just as reliable as a Glock, has a decocker, ambi mag release, loaded chamber indicator, and had the best ergonomics of any gun I'd ever held until I held the HK45 (But I could almost buy two P99s for the price of an HK45). To me, the ergonomics alone are worth the price premium over a Glock.

mel5051

+1

So little love for Walther. Makes me sad.

Just as reliable as a Glock, has a decocker, ambi mag release, loaded chamber indicator, and had the best ergonomics of any gun I'd ever held until I held the HK45 (But I could almost buy two P99s for the price of an HK45). To me, the ergonomics alone are worth the price premium over a Glock.

I wouldn't give up my Walther P99 AS 9mm except to possible get a P99 AS .40 cal

mel

since9

Campaign Veteran
The best advice I've every read or heard goes something like this: Find a moderate or greater caliber firearm that fits you like a glove. It should feel like a natural extension of yourself, with simple, intuitive controls, decent magazine or cylinder capacity, and the ability to draw and fire with minimal fuss, while retaining at least one safety feature which will prevent inadvertent firing should it be dropped.

All the other claims about muzzle velocity vs caliber vs momentum vs kinetic energy are largely superfluous if you don't thoroughly enjoy your firearm, because if that's the case, you won't carry it, and if you don't carry it, it's useless for most situations.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Well......

I would just point out that this is the centennial of the 1911. Something to think about. I would feel pretty good if I bought my first handgun that was a 1911 on the 100yr anniversary of it. HK, Sig, Cz, FN, GLock, THey'll always be there. Now is the history to jump on a 1911, Besides Sig is making a pretty awesome 1911 now. So you would have a Sig, 45acp, 1911, centennial firearm and expensive handgun all in one. something to tell the kids about. an heirloom that has a story.

Good luck

west

I just got, few days ago, my ever first gun. I spent three weeks searching trough web sites, reviews etc. I have decided to get 9mm Beretta Px4 storm Type F. It has everything (the list is long) what I consider important for good and reliable gun... You have to see for your self. Good luck and thank you for your service to our nation in the U.S. Navy. God bless you.

SovereignAxe

I just got, few days ago, my ever first gun. I spent three weeks searching trough web sites, reviews etc. I have decided to get 9mm Beretta Px4 storm Type F. It has everything (the list is long) what I consider important for good and reliable gun... You have to see for your self. Good luck and thank you for your service to our nation in the U.S. Navy. God bless you.

oooo, good choice. I seriously considered the Px4 before I bought my Walther. I struck it off my list simply because it's not ambidextrous and I'd never even held one-nor could I find one in any store.

chipnshatter

A@P ARMS on Lynnhaven in VA.beach. Has quite a few guns to rent. I am also in your area. Hit me up when you get back and ill let you shoot some of my guns. I am x army myself so don't feel like your imposing. If it for home defense don't rule out 12G shotgun. Just send me a pm on the forums. Have a good one

Sorcice

oooo, good choice. I seriously considered the Px4 before I bought my Walther. I struck it off my list simply because it's not ambidextrous and I'd never even held one-nor could I find one in any store.

Actually it is't true ambidextrous in the sense that you can easily change the mag release from side to side(vs just having it there) but darn close.. and the decock/saftey is true ambidextrous. I have a full size Px4 type F in .40 that I love. It came zeroed from factory (multiple shots 1/4in off center target at 7 yards). As far as cleaning, it field strips in about 5 seconds and goes back together super easy. Lastly the gun has almost no kick. If you don't like it once ya hold it I'd strongly suggest the sigs(p220(great conceal gun), p226/228/229(all very nice)).

Last edited:

Marco

I'm not too worried about price,
I definately want something reliable and well made.
I've been looking around at 1911s.
Oh and i'm not too worried about caliber at this moment, but i'll most likely look for a more popular and easily available round.

:)

Attachments

• splash.jpg
    splash.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 104

tim12232

I have the Sig p229 enhanced elite, imho better trigger than the HK's. I also shoot glock 19 gen4 no issues with it, like it as much as my sig, no real favoritism! I also have a Dan Wesson CBOB 1911 in .45, That is my favorite gun for no other reason than its a joy to shoot, and is pleasing to the eyes as well! I like trying to find American made when I can, and i know my glock isnt and i know many people will say the US SIGs are not as good as German, but if you read on SIG forum, they will assure you that SIGs American made guns are still a very fine gun!

Tim

Openlyaware

Bought my first handgun

Well everyone, I now own my first handgun, i was so excited i just posted in general discussion about it. I've been open carrying my new Walther PPQ for a couple days now, I only put 75 rounds through it the day I bought it, but very happy with it. I told myself i will really only need one handgun...but as you all know, i'm now looking for handgun number 2, lol.

tim12232

Well everyone, I now own my first handgun, i was so excited i just posted in general discussion about it. I've been open carrying my new Walther PPQ for a couple days now, I only put 75 rounds through it the day I bought it, but very happy with it. I told myself i will really only need one handgun...but as you all know, i'm now looking for handgun number 2, lol.

The PPQ is a great gun! Nobody talks about them because there so new yet. I looked at one, after having bought my glock, and I think the trigger on that gun is the best thing since sliced bread!

Tim

SovereignAxe

Niiiiice. I bought my P99 right before the PPQ came out. I would be more jealous, but I couldn't afford the PPQ even when I could the P99. So I'm only a little jealous ;P

The PPQ is about the only gun I'd trade my P99 for. I love that it has truly ambidextrous controls (mine only has one, short slide release) and the stippling make it look even more comfortable.

I think you made an excellent choice.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Kimber is nowhere near being in the same league as Dan Wesson.

I have owned 3 Kimbers. I sold the 2 that I bought new because of multiple stupid problems with both of the guns. I will probably never buy a non 5" Kimber again, and might not even buy a new 5" Kimber.
I own 2 Dan Wessons, both of which are leaps and bounds tighter and more reliable. They also have nicer triggers, smoother actions, more and better executed non-essential features like undercut trigger guards, and are generally better made firearms.

You left out some information here that might seem relevant. What size was each of the pistols you are comparing? Sounds like you might be comparing reliability of short Kimber 1911s to an unknown length of Dan Wesson. If the Dan Wesson was full size, this is an unfair comparison, and misleading. I've never carried anything but a 5" 1911. I've never owned anything but a 5" 1911, but have three of them: from Colt, Kimber, and SAI. All are reliable. I carry the Kimber everyday. The Colt (Series 80 Combat Elite) needed a lot of gunsmithing to be reliable. A friend has two 3" Kimbers. While I was impressed with their accuracy and reliability when I borrowed them, I can't speak for their long-term reliability.

Even among 5" guns, there are truer 1911 designs (like my Kimber) and those with full-length guide-rods, bull barrels, and other "features" that may or may not affect the reliability of the 1911. It is very easy to compare red apples to green apples in this area and not telling all the details can be more misleading than helpful sometimes.

Don't get me wrong. I can't say anything bad about CZ firearms. I'm a big CZ fan. One of the smartest things they did, too, was buy the "Dan Wesson" name. I just always find it humorous that they stuck it on a 1911.

Last edited: