Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 431

Thread: Viral video: Judge William Adams beating the h*ll out of his daughter

  1. #1
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217

    Viral video: Judge William Adams beating the h*ll out of his daughter

    http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments...used_daughter/

    If true, I hope he gets what's coming to him.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

    Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    I could critique the judge's disciplinary process, but I don't think that is the most important point. The most important point here is that children are being encouraged to "tell" on their parent. Betraying the family trust is the destruction of the family. Parents beware!!! These days it's even more important for parents to understand how technology can be used to undermine their authority.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Antigo,WI
    Posts
    92
    What he did was wrong. No child should be beat like that. That is not discipline, that is outright abuse. If I saw someone do that trust me they would regret it. Chances are he has beat his children before like that. No child should be beat like that.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by kemo View Post
    What he did was wrong. No child should be beat like that. That is not discipline, that is outright abuse. If I saw someone do that trust me they would regret it. Chances are he has beat his children before like that. No child should be beat like that.
    He certainly made a few mistakes and he could probably benefit from reassessing his choice of language and his anger level. As far as the child getting "beat like that", it's better he does what he did than do nothing at all.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    I could critique the judge's disciplinary process, but I don't think that is the most important point. The most important point here is that children are being encouraged to "tell" on their parent. Betraying the family trust is the destruction of the family. Parents beware!!! These days it's even more important for parents to understand how technology can be used to undermine their authority.
    Yeah, kids that are being sexually molested, violently abused, or otherwise treated in a sub human fashion shouldn't ever tell anyone if the person doing those actions is their "parent".
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    Yeah, kids that are being sexually molested, violently abused, or otherwise treated in a sub human fashion shouldn't ever tell anyone if the person doing those actions is their "parent".
    Exactly what I was thinking. Georg, you may want to clarify your post because it seems you want children to stay silent about abuse. I am sure that is not what you meant.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    Yeah, kids that are being sexually molested, violently abused, or otherwise treated in a sub human fashion shouldn't ever tell anyone if the person doing those actions is their "parent".
    Let me clarify... shouldn't tell anyone in GOVERNMENT. It's a family issue. The government has no business in family affairs in a free country. Also, keep in mind that child abuse is a complicated problem. The last thing we need is the government getting involved. It will make things worse... giving the government the power to define child abuse.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 11-02-2011 at 12:17 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Harper1227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lorton, VA
    Posts
    387

    disturbing

    honestly, i grew up getting beatings when i did wrong so the first 30 secs or so didnt strike me as TOO awful. I mean i felt bad for the girl but who am I to judge other people's discipline. But everything after that first couple hits just got more and more disturbing. WAY too much. I couldnt watch all of it. I would have kicked my husband in the tail if he hit my kid like that.
    Last edited by Harper1227; 11-02-2011 at 01:06 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Let me clarify... shouldn't tell anyone in GOVERNMENT. It's a family issue. The government has no business in family affairs in a free country. Also, keep in mind that child abuse is a complicated problem. The last thing we need is the government getting involved. It will make things worse... giving the government the power to define child abuse.
    Who, then, should they tell? Who is going to be the voice for those who, so very many times, have no voice? Do the children/wives wait until their mothers/fathers/husbands put them in the hospital or kill them? No, I'm not overstating the problem as I've personally seen it too many times.

    Yes, we want a free country and less governmental involvement in our daily lives, but, no, spousal/child abuse is not solely a family matter.

    For what it is worth, no teenage girl should be beaten as that girl was. I have no problems with a spanking, but that was, IMNSHO, a brutal, sadistic beating. From what I read, he also abused his wife and she has since left him. The video, again from what I read, is several years old.

    edit: I just read the account published in the UK Daily Mail. The girl is now 23. Although there have been some questions about the authenticity, apparently several people who know this "judge" quite well have verified that it is him.
    Last edited by SFCRetired; 11-02-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added information

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Let me clarify... shouldn't tell anyone in GOVERNMENT. It's a family issue. The government has no business in family affairs in a free country. Also, keep in mind that child abuse is a complicated problem. The last thing we need is the government getting involved. It will make things worse... giving the government the power to define child abuse.
    And when the family is a bunch of idiots or abusees who think physical punishment is an effective means of discipline, despite ample studies and evidence showing that it's not?

    Physical punishment to correct children is a lot like talking to the cops without a lawyer: there is nothing gained by doing it that cannot be better done in another way. About the only thing it has the potential to do is make you feel better in the short run, despite its overall negative consequences.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Who, then, should they tell? Who is going to be the voice for those who, so very many times, have no voice? Do the children/wives wait until their mothers/fathers/husbands put them in the hospital or kill them? No, I'm not overstating the problem as I've personally seen it too many times.
    Who they tell is a case by case issue. Every family is different. Just like so many other problems in life, there is NO perfect solution. However, thinking that governmmnet intervention will help is naive.

    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Yes, we want a free country and less governmental involvement in our daily lives, but, no, spousal/child abuse is not solely a family matter..
    If we want a free country then we must accept the lack of saftey that freedom affords us... It MUST be a family mater.

    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    For what it is worth, no teenage girl should be beaten as that girl was. I have no problems with a spanking, but that was, IMNSHO, a brutal, sadistic beating. From what I read, he also abused his wife and she has since left him. The video, again from what I read, is several years old.
    I disagree with your assessment. Who gets to decide what is a "legal" spanking? I'm sure opinions would range from "don't touch the child" to "wack'em in the head with a stump". Only the family can decide what is the correct method.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    And when the family is a bunch of idiots or abusees who think physical punishment is an effective means of discipline, despite ample studies and evidence showing that it's not?.
    The studies and evidence you speak of is irrelevant. It is NOT possible to have the necessary controls to turn this into a scientific analysis. Besides... what parent would want to EXPERIMENT with their child. Prompt, appropriate discipline works most of the time. Why fix what is not broken?

    Speaking to the idiocy of the family... it is the exception(though becoming more common)... speaking to the idiocy of governmnet... it is the rule.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    Physical punishment to correct children is a lot like talking to the cops without a lawyer: there is nothing gained by doing it that cannot be better done in another way. About the only thing it has the potential to do is make you feel better in the short run, despite its overall negative consequences.
    That's your opinion. It is my experience that promt proper "physical" discipline works better than anything else. We can't escape it. We are creatures that learn from pain. Pain is one of the first things we understand when we come into the world. It is better for a child to fear it's parents so that it will LISTEN when told not to run into the street. The pain the parent caused is prefereable to the pain the automible will cause.

    Also, in many cases, religion is used as a basis for determining proper discipline. By having the governmnet determine such things, it would be making laws contrary to the first amendment.

  13. #13
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Who they tell is a case by case issue. Every family is different. Just like so many other problems in life, there is NO perfect solution. However, thinking that governmmnet intervention will help is naive.

    No, there is no perfect solution to any problem. But where do we draw the line on abuse? I've seen too many children, spouses (yes, men, too), and elderly brought into emergency rooms with everything from severe bruising to multiple broken bones to life-threatening injuries. I've also seen far too many who were DOA at the emergency room.

    If we want a free country then we must accept the lack of saftey that freedom affords us... It MUST be a family mater.

    As an adult, I can accept both the freedom and the lack of safety. That does not give me the right to accept on the behalf of my, or anyone else's, children, spouse, or elderly parents. As an adult, I also will not stand by silently and watch someone else viciously beat their child or their wife/husband or parents. That is part of being a moral human being.

    I disagree with your assessment. Who gets to decide what is a "legal" spanking? I'm sure opinions would range from "don't touch the child" to "wack'em in the head with a stump". Only the family can decide what is the correct method.

    And who decides when one or both parents are vicious, controlling, abusers? Do you, as a moral human being, say, "Oh, it's a family matter. Let the parents decide"? Or do you, as a part of a civilized society, cause measures to be taken to protect those who cannot protect themselves?
    Sorry if I come across as preachy on this subject, but you can't work in an ER, as I did many years ago, and see the results of abuse and not have some very strong opinions about it.

    As concerns spanking, and I realize there are a lot of different opinions, to me, the object was not to inflict severe physical pain on the child and I never allowed myself to hit one of mine hard enough to cause that pain. It is more about using only that amount of force necessary to get the child's undivided attention. It is also an extreme last resort. I didn't like doing it and only did it when nothing else got the child's attention.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Uber_Olafsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    585
    So a guy whipping his daughter is supposed to be ok because they are family??? How does that make a difference? I grew up in the get your hide tanned if you screwed up and even had physical abuse because of it. What would you think of him doing this to a dog. A swat on those nose is one thing. To keep hitting after and seeming to take a break to start up again is abuse.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    The studies and evidence you speak of is irrelevant. It is NOT possible to have the necessary controls to turn this into a scientific analysis. Besides... what parent would want to EXPERIMENT with their child. Prompt, appropriate discipline works most of the time. Why fix what is not broken?
    You know, I've provided citations before that show where my view comes from. You have ranted and made unfounded assertions based on your own desire to justify hitting kids. Until you provide a cite that directly addresses the issue, I will continue to say you're full of crap.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Sorry if I come across as preachy on this subject, but you can't work in an ER, as I did many years ago, and see the results of abuse and not have some very strong opinions about it..
    I understand, but try to look at this issue without the emotion. First lets keep focused on "child" abuse. The parent/child relationship is COMPLETELY different than the parent/parent relationship.

    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    As concerns spanking, and I realize there are a lot of different opinions, to me, the object was not to inflict severe physical pain on the child and I never allowed myself to hit one of mine hard enough to cause that pain. It is more about using only that amount of force necessary to get the child's undivided attention. It is also an extreme last resort. I didn't like doing it and only did it when nothing else got the child's attention.
    I make the point about different opinions, because when you get the governmnet involved, then the indvidual's opinion becomes irrelevant. The government will/has use this power for its own ends.

    I disagree with you about pain being used as an attention getting tool. If your child is running toward the street and you only have time to yell "STOP", you need the child to FEAR you and you won't be able to rely on pain at that instant to get their attention. It MUST be the MEMORY of pain that gets their attention. That type of pain should be considered SEVERE by the child's standards.

    I agree that pain IS a type of last resort. As children mature, other "higher" levels of discipline can be applied such as deprivation of liberty. However, if a child fails to abide by the "higher" levels of discipline, then it will be SEVERE pain that would be the last resort for enforcement.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 11-02-2011 at 02:30 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    You know, I've provided citations before that show where my view comes from. You have ranted and made unfounded assertions based on your own desire to justify hitting kids. Until you provide a cite that directly addresses the issue, I will continue to say you're full of crap.
    That's fine... You're full of crap as well... because your cites are full of crap.

    I understand the limitaions of science. I also understand the limitations of results based on numerous unsustantiated ASSUMPTIONS. I read your citations and they were useless as tools for parents to consider when forming a disciplinary strategy. That's ok if you base your views on them. We'll simply disagree.

    The most important point to keep focused on here is the GIANT PROBLEM with getting the GOVERNMNET involved in FAMILY matters. It is the MOST significant controlling tool it could ever hope to have.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 11-02-2011 at 02:33 PM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    So a guy whipping his daughter is supposed to be ok because they are family??? How does that make a difference? .
    Well, if they weren't family, then it would be assault if the "guy" didn't have the parents consent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    I grew up in the get your hide tanned if you screwed up and even had physical abuse because of it. What would you think of him doing this to a dog. A swat on those nose is one thing. To keep hitting after and seeming to take a break to start up again is abuse.
    His dog is PRIVATE property. It's none of the government's business what he does with that dog. Of course that is NOT the reality these days. People are just fighting to give their liberties away so they can get into their neighbor's business.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 11-02-2011 at 02:35 PM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    I understand the limitaions of science.
    No, you don't. Your posts have repeatedly demonstrated the fact that you understand the limitations of what you assume or perceive to be science.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Sources for why you shouldn't use physical punishment to induce compliance:
    http://www.apsa.org/About_APsaA/Posi...unishment.aspx
    The American Academy of Pediatrics concludes: "Corporal punishment is of limited effectiveness and has potentially deleterious side effects. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents be encouraged and assisted in the development of methods other than spanking for managing undesired behavior" (2, p. 723).

    http://www.nctsnet.org/nctsn_assets/..._Factsheet.pdf
    Physical punishment may seem the best
    solution for managing a child’s most
    challenging or upsetting behaviors. It may
    even seem like the only solution for serious
    misbehavior. But child behavior research
    shows that there are actually far more
    effective methods of discipline. Spanking
    may work temporarily to stop children’s
    problem behaviors, but it may not change
    their behavior in the long run.
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...17/6/2055.full
    Despite the widespread discouragement of use from many pediatricians, psychologists, and others,11,15,22–24 there are some individuals who advise parents to spank as an appropriate and necessary child-rearing technique.25–28
    http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/07...ons/28087.html
    These findings compare with prior research that suggests punitive discipline may make children immediately compliant – but may reduce the likelihood that they will internalize rules and standards. That, in turn, may result in lower self-control as children get older.

    “This study demonstrates that corporal punishment does not teach children how to behave or improve their learning,” said researcher Victoria Talwar, Ph.D., of McGill University.

    “In the short term, it may not have any negative effects; but if relied upon over time it does not support children’s problem-solving skills, or their abilities to inhibit inappropriate behaviour or to learn.”
    I can go on, but the fact is, you're advocating something not because it's effective or beneficial, but likely because it was what was done to you.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    No, you don't. Your posts have repeatedly demonstrated the fact that you understand the limitations of what you assume or perceive to be science.
    Here's a "you say I say" type argument... waste of time...

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    Sources for why you shouldn't use physical punishment to induce compliance:
    http://www.apsa.org/About_APsaA/Posi...unishment.aspx



    http://www.nctsnet.org/nctsn_assets/..._Factsheet.pdf


    http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...17/6/2055.full


    http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/07...ons/28087.html


    I can go on, but the fact is, you're advocating something not because it's effective or beneficial, but likely because it was what was done to you.
    I will bookmark this post. It gives links to EXCELLENT examples of how psuedo science is used to change public opinion... IOW - propaganda.

    My parents made their share of mistakes and in an attempt to do better, I educated myself on the issue of parental responsibilites when I became a dad. That still didn't ensure that I was perfect.

    I'm advocating it because my country suffers from delusion reinforced by psuedo science.

    Edit - Let me add that the REAL issue is not what TYPE of a discipline strategy a set of parent's chooses to use, but that it is up to the parents ALONE. The governmnet MUST be kept out of the family. I noticed you fail to comment on this particular issue.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 11-02-2011 at 03:54 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    I will bookmark this post. It gives links to EXCELLENT examples of how psuedo science is used to change public opinion... IOW - propaganda.

    My parents made their share of mistakes and in an attempt to do better, I educated myself on the issue of parental responsibilites when I became a dad. That still didn't ensure that I was perfect.

    I'm advocating it because my country suffers from delusion reinforced by psuedo science.
    Do you have the ability to show how this is "psuedo [sic] science"? Seriously, you call the citations crap, despite the fact they are supported by the vast, overwhelming majority of medical and child practitioners. In doing so, though, you utterly fail to provide your own counter citations, studies, or evidence. If it is pseudoscience, you should be able to show how, right?
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  24. #24
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments...used_daughter/

    If true, I hope he gets what's coming to him.
    There is no doubt that it is true.

    And for those news agencies out there who say he "allegedy" did this, find a new job.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxcmbM1qtN0

    For those of you out there who call this a "legal spanking" Your full of BS!!!!

    This is absolutely atrocious. This man should be relieved of duty, and charged like the criminal he is. A beating like that.....over a computer......I hope he gets whats coming to him.


    The mother is just as guilty of this atrocity.
    Last edited by Tucker6900; 11-02-2011 at 04:06 PM.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    It's clear that some people 'get their rocks off' from beating a child and Jetson is one of them.

    I wonder how he'd like to stand in and take one of those beatings and verbal abuses from a big hairy guy twice his size just to see what it's like?
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

    Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •