Thread: Open carry in a vehicle or motorcycle now

Open carry in a vehicle or motorcycle now

Example, I do not have a CCP (Concealed Carry Permit) but choose to openly carry. How do I transport? If I have my firearm holstered and on my hip once I close that door am I concealing? Someone told me I have to have the firearm displayed on the dash (I said that would be a NO-NO!) so it wasnt concealed. Assuming I am not driving in a school zone can I also carry with my pistol holstered and on my motorcycle?
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
    Example, I do not have a CCP (Concealed Carry Permit) but choose to openly carry. How do I transport? If I have my firearm holstered and on my hip once I close that door am I concealing? Someone told me I have to have the firearm displayed on the dash (I said that would be a NO-NO!) so it wasnt concealed. Assuming I am not driving in a school zone can I also carry with my pistol holstered and on my motorcycle?
    Please search the forum for State v. Walls....or Walls. We've argued over this numerous times in the past few months up to and including just last week. In fact, one of the threads should be on pages 1-3 somewhere. Not trying to be rude or anything, just hate to rehash it all over again is all.
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 11-02-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Search DOESNT work. I get a captcha, then some "some error occured". Search has never worked for me.

Search DOESNT work. I get a captcha, then some "some error occured". Search has never worked for me.
    Yeah, the site search sucks, use google instead. I think this is the proper format: site.opencarry.org: "State v. Walls"

Anyway, if I find it later for you I'll post a link.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Short answer is that once you close the door and it is below the window line, it is concealed in a truck or car. Secured on the dash in plain sight is legally fine but may draw unwanted attention.
    Motorcycle, bicycle, ATV, etc is fine as there is nothing to obstruct the view of your handgun.
    GFSZ prohibitions apply.

Here are a couple.......

R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    Short answer is that once you close the door and it is below the window line, it is concealed in a truck or car. Secured on the dash in plain sight is legally fine but may draw unwanted attention.
    Motorcycle, bicycle, ATV, etc is fine as there is nothing to obstruct the view of your handgun.
    GFSZ prohibitions apply.
    This is enough for now. I wasnt sure about the dash thing. Sounded almost like brandishing. I live in the city so virtually everywhere could be a school zone so it really doesnt matter to me. I know someone in the boonies and he wanted to know if he could carry in his car or bike.
    Last edited by bigdaddy1; 11-02-2011 at 12:53 PM.

This is enough for now. I wasnt sure about the dash thing. Sounded almost like brandishing. I live in the city so virtually everywhere could be a school zone so it really doesnt matter to me. I know someone in the boonies and he wanted to know if he could carry in his car or bike.
    I wouldn't just lay it on the dash, but in a holster secured to the dash is not brandishing (displaying in a threatening manner). There is not a State State Statute prohibiting "brandishing" but some municipalities have Ordinances against it.

GFSZ prohibitions apply.
    Snip...

"once you close the door"
    Well thats easy enough..... I will just ride around with the door open.

Actually I have had some practice as my driver side (power) window does not work... So at any fast food drive through, deive up time machine, bank window, etc... It's door open time......

Seriously, as I have said in other posts, as of yesterday at about 1:15 AM, I open carry in my vehicle loaded and holsterd on my hip.... That is... I would be if I did not loose my (hip) in a serious high speed canoeing accident...

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 11-02-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    Well thats easy enough..... I will just ride around with the door open.
    Jeeps drive around without doors, so you should just remove the doors on your car/pickup....
    Last edited by Interceptor_Knight; 11-02-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Jeeps drive around without doors, so you should just remove the doors on your car/pickup....
    Dang, good idea, why didn't I tink of that... would be kinda a beyatch in the winter....

But...??? Now that you mention it, what about a Jeep without any doors (or windows)...????? Almost seems like it would be legal...????

I know, this discusion is moot for those of us that already have or will be getting out permits within the next few days, but for some, it could be a while....

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

you're entering a whole new category of laws.

short version. (not 100% accurate, but enough to give you an idea).

if the vehicle came from the factory with a removable top, then you can remove the doors. if i remember correctly (researched this years ago when i was in a jeep off-roading club) you "technically" can only have the doors off if the top is off. but i've never seen or heard anybody being harrassed about that as jeeps "usually" the only vehicles driving around with their doors off.

probably also has something to do with the fact that (as far as i know), only jeep wranglers came from the factory with quick removable doors, where broncos and other removable top vehicles didn't. otherwise they probably would do. it just sort of became a "tradition" that is associated with jeep wranglers.

PS:......you could also in theory take a non-removable top vehicle (think jeep cherokee, or pickup truck) and replace the doors with tube doors (just as it sounds. only a tube going from hinge to latch, usually only seen on jeeps, but easy to build for any application) and still be legal.