• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in a vehicle or motorcycle now

bigdaddy1

Example, I do not have a CCP (Concealed Carry Permit) but choose to openly carry. How do I transport? If I have my firearm holstered and on my hip once I close that door am I concealing? Someone told me I have to have the firearm displayed on the dash (I said that would be a NO-NO!) so it wasnt concealed. Assuming I am not driving in a school zone can I also carry with my pistol holstered and on my motorcycle?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Example, I do not have a CCP (Concealed Carry Permit) but choose to openly carry. How do I transport? If I have my firearm holstered and on my hip once I close that door am I concealing? Someone told me I have to have the firearm displayed on the dash (I said that would be a NO-NO!) so it wasnt concealed. Assuming I am not driving in a school zone can I also carry with my pistol holstered and on my motorcycle?

Please search the forum for State v. Walls....or Walls. We've argued over this numerous times in the past few months up to and including just last week. In fact, one of the threads should be on pages 1-3 somewhere. Not trying to be rude or anything, just hate to rehash it all over again is all.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

Short answer is that once you close the door and it is below the window line, it is concealed in a truck or car. Secured on the dash in plain sight is legally fine but may draw unwanted attention.
Motorcycle, bicycle, ATV, etc is fine as there is nothing to obstruct the view of your handgun.
GFSZ prohibitions apply.

bigdaddy1

Short answer is that once you close the door and it is below the window line, it is concealed in a truck or car. Secured on the dash in plain sight is legally fine but may draw unwanted attention.
Motorcycle, bicycle, ATV, etc is fine as there is nothing to obstruct the view of your handgun.
GFSZ prohibitions apply.

This is enough for now. I wasnt sure about the dash thing. Sounded almost like brandishing. I live in the city so virtually everywhere could be a school zone so it really doesnt matter to me. I know someone in the boonies and he wanted to know if he could carry in his car or bike.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

This is enough for now. I wasnt sure about the dash thing. Sounded almost like brandishing. I live in the city so virtually everywhere could be a school zone so it really doesnt matter to me. I know someone in the boonies and he wanted to know if he could carry in his car or bike.

I wouldn't just lay it on the dash, but in a holster secured to the dash is not brandishing (displaying in a threatening manner). There is not a State State Statute prohibiting "brandishing" but some municipalities have Ordinances against it.

Outdoorsman1

GFSZ prohibitions apply.

Snip...

"once you close the door"

Well thats easy enough..... I will just ride around with the door open.

Actually I have had some practice as my driver side (power) window does not work... So at any fast food drive through, deive up time machine, bank window, etc... It's door open time......:lol:

Seriously, as I have said in other posts, as of yesterday at about 1:15 AM, I open carry in my vehicle loaded and holsterd on my hip.... That is... I would be if I did not loose my (hip) in a serious high speed canoeing accident... :eek:

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

Jeeps drive around without doors, so you should just remove the doors on your car/pickup....:lol:

Dang, good idea, why didn't I tink of that... would be kinda a beyatch in the winter....

But...??? Now that you mention it, what about a Jeep without any doors (or windows)...????? Almost seems like it would be legal...????

I know, this discusion is moot for those of us that already have or will be getting out permits within the next few days, but for some, it could be a while....

Outdoorsman1

scorpio_vette

you're entering a whole new category of laws.

short version. (not 100% accurate, but enough to give you an idea).

if the vehicle came from the factory with a removable top, then you can remove the doors. if i remember correctly (researched this years ago when i was in a jeep off-roading club) you "technically" can only have the doors off if the top is off. but i've never seen or heard anybody being harrassed about that as jeeps "usually" the only vehicles driving around with their doors off.

probably also has something to do with the fact that (as far as i know), only jeep wranglers came from the factory with quick removable doors, where broncos and other removable top vehicles didn't. otherwise they probably would do. it just sort of became a "tradition" that is associated with jeep wranglers.

PS:......you could also in theory take a non-removable top vehicle (think jeep cherokee, or pickup truck) and replace the doors with tube doors (just as it sounds. only a tube going from hinge to latch, usually only seen on jeeps, but easy to build for any application) and still be legal.