Thread: Wisconsin just passed concealed carry.

Post Wisconsin just passed concealed carry.

Our state just passed concealed carry which can be good in some ways. Especially if someone tries to break in, etc. However, I prefer pepper spray. It is much easier to obtain and costs a measly $8 as opposed to $600 on something I may never use. (like a bridesmaid's dress).

I have been carrying pepper spray for a while when I go out but never used it. I wonder if the law also applies to pepper spray or if that changed as well.

Leah

Pepper spray is much easier to obtain than a gun? I dunno... I think guns are pretty easy to obtain in Wisconsin.

WI always got bashed for no concealed carry, but, really, the rest of its gun laws, or should I say lack of them, is good stuff and puts various other states to shame.

A gun is obviously much better at stopping a threat than pepper spray, (assuming both are used correctly), but, also, some people simply aren't comfortable with guns or the thought of using a gun on another person, even if their own life is in danger, so pepper spray is still better than harsh words.

Far as I know, you could already conceal carry pepper spray for the last 10 years or so. You can of course certainly open carry it, but that has always applied to guns too.

The new law now allows stun guns as well. I've seen those literally take someone's legs out from under them. But pepper spray is arguably better for most people imo.

I put that stuff in my chili...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    I put that stuff in my chili...
    Using pepper spray is cheating and it never turns out right. That's like using margarine instead of butter.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by Leah View Post
    It is much easier to obtain and costs a measly $8 as opposed to $600 on something I may never use. (like a bridesmaid's dress).
    Or a seatbelt. Or a smoke detector. Or a fire extinguisher. Or insurance.

I can think of endless things you shouldn't buy because you'll probably never use them.

Of course.....if you happen to need them......

How's that pepper spray work for stopping bullets? As with most folks, I often imagine dangerous scenarios and how I would react to them. I think anyone who doesn't is a little naive. When someone walks by a dark alley, or through an unlit parking lot, who doesn't think to themsleves, "What if a bad guy comes at me from over there? What would I do?"

You take precautions for these situations, right? After all, if you thought it might be possible for a bad guy to come at you from over there, it could, indeed, really be possible, right?

Therefore, wouldn't it also be kinda' naive to think that, if you haven't thought of it, it can't happen?

I would think pepper spray would be fine for fending off folks who simply want to make you a target for a robbery, feel you out for victimhood, or harrass you. It would probably make them leave you the hell alone.

Probably.

What if they are 100% intent on ending your life?

You think that pepper spray is gonna suddenly change their mind? Do you think they can't pull a trigger with their eyes closed?

You might feel comfortable entrusting your life to "probably".

For me? My life is worth a heckuva lot more than $8.

The point is, OP; we prefer tools that work. Sure, they cost a little more... But pepper spray is feel-good BS that won't help you. Some of the more monstrous sorts out there are turned on by pepper spray... They have a hard time raping without it.

Just like those 'you don't need a gun hand-to-hand defense' classes that prey on women and their cluelessness... It might be a fun supplement, but it is practically useless and will never help you.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Pepper spray obviously has its place in the range of things used for self defense. Some are shaped like a handgun and deliver metered blasts out to 15 ft or so. Cops carry the stuff, so it is certainly a useful non-lethal weapon to have. A good friend of mine took the training to be an armed security officer, and one night they covered the use of Tasers and OC spray (oleoresin capsicum...) The instructor said he would spray a little cloud in the room, and the students could briefly walk into it to get some idea of the effect. Dan said "If I'm gonna be spraying this at people, I want to know personally what it is like" and told the instructor to give him a standard blast in the face. Dan told me it was the worst experience of his life and hurt so bad in so many ways he thought he would lose it. The guys there were pouring water into and on his face, but it took more than half an hour to feel decent again. He didn't think the Taser was nearly so bad. It certainly did incapacitate, but there wasn't that much pain involved. He'd take a bunch of Taser hits rather than be pepper sprayed again. "DON'T SPRAY ME, BRO!" would be his plea! I always have a couple of cans with me in the care: a small,concealable BUG spray and a few bigger "reach out and touch someone" canisters. The little guys are sometimes in my front pocket and a Ken Onion assissted opening pig-sticker in my rear pocket. I have an assortment of knives, of course, from big utilitarian stuff down to sneaky, very sharp tactical stuff. I think its a good idea to have the proper tools to deal with various scenarios.

Take care,

Dutch Uncle

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Dan said "If I'm gonna be spraying this at people, I want to know personally what it is like" and told the instructor to give him a standard blast in the face. Dan told me it was the worst experience of his life and hurt so bad in so many ways he thought he would lose it. The guys there were pouring water into and on his face, but it took more than half an hour to feel decent again.
    And if anyone wants to see some pepper spraying, just search youtube. Some videos of cops training after getting sprayed show you can fight through it, while a lot of "regular people" trying it often cry for their mommies.

Is pepper spray better than a gun? Generally no.

First time the army used a CS canister on me I was incapacitated. By the 3rd time, I could function in it. Biggest impediment is the blurry vision.

I'd imagine functioning with a face full of OC is similar. Just takes willpower.

In response to the title of the thread, I say: Congrats to the good folks of Wisconsin on this accomplishment!
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    while a lot of "regular people" trying it often cry for their mommies.
    Or a rapist on PCP... Guns don't even stop those freaks... I watched dash cam of a gy later determined to be on PCP, walked right through a tazer like nothing happened. Pepper spray, unnoticed. Shot 4 times, still kept going until he ran out of blood.

The bleeding out from being shot is what stopped him.

Pepper spray is like a Thompson, pull the trigger and spray and pray.

Actually a can of pepper spray that you will use is better than a pistol that you are not confident in using.

Ye, I've done the CS thing too, years ago....no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Ye, I've done the CS thing too, years ago....no thanks.
    One advantage of a firearm is that the wind doesn't blow the bullets back in your face.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    Or a seatbelt. Or a smoke detector. Or a fire extinguisher. Or insurance.

I can think of endless things you shouldn't buy because you'll probably never use them.

Of course.....if you happen to need them......

How's that pepper spray work for stopping bullets? As with most folks, I often imagine dangerous scenarios and how I would react to them. I think anyone who doesn't is a little naive. When someone walks by a dark alley, or through an unlit parking lot, who doesn't think to themsleves, "What if a bad guy comes at me from over there? What would I do?"

You take precautions for these situations, right? After all, if you thought it might be possible for a bad guy to come at you from over there, it could, indeed, really be possible, right?

Therefore, wouldn't it also be kinda' naive to think that, if you haven't thought of it, it can't happen?

I would think pepper spray would be fine for fending off folks who simply want to make you a target for a robbery, feel you out for victimhood, or harrass you. It would probably make them leave you the hell alone.

Probably.

What if they are 100% intent on ending your life?

You think that pepper spray is gonna suddenly change their mind? Do you think they can't pull a trigger with their eyes closed?

You might feel comfortable entrusting your life to "probably".

For me? My life is worth a heckuva lot more than $8.
    Very nice said, Superlite27. Leah, invest 600 in to your life and life of your friends and family. And in your free time you can shot bottles. It is so much fun.

You don't have to spend nearly $600 on a reliable handgun...I have a couple of handguns that have been 100% reliable for 1000's of rounds that I didn't spend $200 on (they're not Hi-Point's either).
    Last edited by Barnett3006; 11-26-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnett3006 View Post
    You don't have to spend nearly $600 on a reliable handgun...I have a couple of handguns that have been 100% reliable for 1000's of rounds that I didn't spend $200 on (they're not Hi-Point's either).
    Care to share what pistols are that cheap?
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Used ones maybe...................
    And a brand spanking new Hi-Point 9mm is a whopping $139.00, they are bulky, the ergonomics are not the best, but if it came right down to being unarmed, or having a holstered Hi-Point, I would take the inexpensive pistol.

I've never paid more than $200 for a Kel Tec P-32 or P-3AT. Of course, I never buy new. With a lifetime warranty, who cares? And, it's not huge, heavy, and ugly... I've owned at least a dozen, never has one failed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Polish P-64 for $125 in un-issued condition.
    Brand-new EAA "Windicator" .357 snubbie for $190 OTD.
    Used Kel-Tec P3AT for $200

I can't remember what my CZ-52 cost me but it had to have been around $200...though I would not use this for personal/home defense if I had a choice, if it was all I had sure but I would carry it Israeli style with some modern HP ammo.

I also got a Pheonix HP22A (SNS lol) for under $200, this is my 4 legged critter getter and my absolute last choice for a defensive pistol but it would be better then aerosol chili seasoning and definitely better then nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnett3006 View Post
    I bet my Phoenix and Hi-Points are more reliable than newer Kimbers.

A Hi-Point C9 isn't a pocket gun, but it's not all that big, either. Regardless, raise your price up even $50 to the $250 area, and choices start opening up such as the Kel-tecs or Bersa or whatever.

For around $500, you can get a rock-solid primary carry firearm that'll last you 20 to 50 years, depending how well you take care of it and how often you fire it. I keep current with 50 rounds, 4x per year, for 200 rounds a year. Between my plinking for fun and taking friends shooting, it might be a maximum of 500 rounds per year.

Given my firearm has been known to routinely exceed 100,000 rounds before failure, if we take a safety factor of 5, that's 20,000 rounds. Divided by 500 rounds per year, that's 40 years, which takes me beyond the end of my life expectancy.

My point is, spend some good money on a well-built, accurate, long-lasting firearm that's well-priced, rather than over-priced. Once your properly armed, bide your time and save your bucks for a back-up gun of similar quality.

If you rush things, you're likely to spend far money money hunting around for what you really want, long-term.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.