Thread: 10-year-old draws a pistol to protect his Halloween candy

10-year-old draws a pistol to protect his Halloween candy

Just another reason to keep your firearms safely secured when not in used. The kid gets a wee little bit credit for thinking about self-defense.

http://usat.ly/sl0yYz
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

That must have been some good candy...
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Right now my kids carry mace, but will buy them guns when they turn 21. Besides OC in SC is not legal (sorry).
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Right now my kids carry mace, but will buy them guns when they turn 21. Besides OC in SC is not legal (sorry).
    Why not 18? By federal law its legal for 18+ to receive, buy and own handguns; just not to purchase from licensed dealers.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Why not 18? By federal law its legal for 18+ to receive, buy and own handguns; just not to purchase from licensed dealers.
    WA law makes handgun carry illegal in public for those under 21
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.240
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

"Turno says the boys got their weapons from their grandfather without permission, the newspaper reports."

Grandfather needs to invest in a handgun safe.
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 11-08-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: edited to remove bold highlights to conform with forum standards.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    "Turno says the boys got their weapons from their grandfather without permission, the newspaper reports."

Grandfather needs to invest in a handgun safe.
    No. The boys need to be taught proper firearm safety; including not handling the weapons.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

Quote Originally Posted by MatieA View Post
    No. The boys need to be taught proper firearm safety; including not handling the weapons.
    Yes, that too. Definitely.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    Except when they are recreating (hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, jogging,,,etc) RCW 9.41.060(8)

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Except when they are recreating (hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, jogging,,,etc) RCW 9.41.060(8)
    False:

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

The cited law is not 050
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    False:

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

The cited law is not 050
    its .060 but an easy mistake.

There are exceptions to those under 21 carrying too even when not hunting or fishing etc.

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper;
    I know an under 21 person that carries unloaded in a fanny pack, I've known others to carry in book bag, or back pack.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by MatieA View Post
    Don't forget being taught about not stealing or borrowing without permission.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    its .060 but an easy mistake.

There are exceptions to those under 21 carrying too even when not hunting or fishing etc.

I know an under 21 person that carries unloaded in a fanny pack, I've known others to carry in book bag, or back pack.
    I was quoting 060 which says "The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:"

It's weird that 240 even mentions exemptions granted under 060, when there are none that apply to 240.

Therefore, even the secure wrapper provision doesn't appear to apply, because it only applies as an exception to 9.41.050
    Last edited by Tawnos; 11-03-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Just another reason to keep your firearms safely secured when not in used. The kid gets a wee little bit credit for thinking about self-defense.

http://usat.ly/sl0yYz
    Yikes! As I'm always carrying, that's behavior which is about 99/100's of smidgeon away from a bust.

Most states have a minimum carry age, FOR GOOD REASON>
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I was quoting 060 which says "The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:"

It's weird that 240 even mentions exemptions granted under 060, when there are none that apply to 240.

Therefore, even the secure wrapper provision doesn't appear to apply, because it only applies as an exception to 9.41.050
    Damn Tawnos, now making go over it all again. I didn't even think of it that way. Wouldn't be easier if we just wiped most of these stupid laws off the books.

A lawyer I talked to agrees that an 18 year old could legally carry a weapon in the manner I mentioned.

I would take it that the exception I mentioned would apply because it says "unless an exception granted". And one is granted in .060.

Oh I didn't mean to infer you made a mistake. You are very careful about not making mistakes. On the other hand I make many.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Damn Tawnos, now making go over it all again. I didn't even think of it that way. Wouldn't be easier if we just wiped most of these stupid laws off the books.

A lawyer I talked to agrees that an 18 year old could legally carry a weapon in the manner I mentioned.

I would take it that the exception I mentioned would apply because it says "unless an exception granted". And one is granted in .060.

Oh I didn't mean to infer you made a mistake. You are very careful about not making mistakes. On the other hand I make many.
    That's the problem with the implicit statement "an exception granted". What does that exception need to be granted to? In other contexts, it generally says what the exception applies to (see, for example, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.050 "subject to the exception granted the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle in this chapter").

Gah, I'm going to have to contact a legislator about this, aren't I? Maybe I can just ask them to strike all of 240 (of course, they wouldn't listen ).

That's the problem with the implicit statement "an exception granted". What does that exception need to be granted to? In other contexts, it generally says what the exception applies to (see, for example, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.050 "subject to the exception granted the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle in this chapter").

Gah, I'm going to have to contact a legislator about this, aren't I? Maybe I can just ask them to strike all of 240 (of course, they wouldn't listen ).
    You are right.

If you contact a legislature and would like me to write something also I'm on board, maybe even take a trip to Oly if need be.