• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

10-year-old draws a pistol to protect his Halloween candy

Daylen

Right now my kids carry mace, but will buy them guns when they turn 21. Besides OC in SC is not legal (sorry).

Why not 18? By federal law its legal for 18+ to receive, buy and own handguns; just not to purchase from licensed dealers.

MilProGuy

"Turno says the boys got their weapons from their grandfather without permission, the newspaper reports."

Grandfather needs to invest in a handgun safe.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

WA law makes handgun carry illegal in public for those under 21
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.240

False:

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

The cited law is not 050

its .060 but an easy mistake.

There are exceptions to those under 21 carrying too even when not hunting or fishing etc.

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper;

I know an under 21 person that carries unloaded in a fanny pack, I've known others to carry in book bag, or back pack.

Tawnos

its .060 but an easy mistake.

There are exceptions to those under 21 carrying too even when not hunting or fishing etc.

I know an under 21 person that carries unloaded in a fanny pack, I've known others to carry in book bag, or back pack.

I was quoting 060 which says "The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:"

It's weird that 240 even mentions exemptions granted under 060, when there are none that apply to 240.

Therefore, even the secure wrapper provision doesn't appear to apply, because it only applies as an exception to 9.41.050

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I was quoting 060 which says "The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:"

It's weird that 240 even mentions exemptions granted under 060, when there are none that apply to 240.

Therefore, even the secure wrapper provision doesn't appear to apply, because it only applies as an exception to 9.41.050

Damn Tawnos, now making go over it all again. :D I didn't even think of it that way. Wouldn't be easier if we just wiped most of these stupid laws off the books.

A lawyer I talked to agrees that an 18 year old could legally carry a weapon in the manner I mentioned.

I would take it that the exception I mentioned would apply because it says "unless an exception granted". And one is granted in .060.

Oh I didn't mean to infer you made a mistake. You are very careful about not making mistakes. On the other hand I make many.:p

Tawnos

Damn Tawnos, now making go over it all again. :D I didn't even think of it that way. Wouldn't be easier if we just wiped most of these stupid laws off the books.

A lawyer I talked to agrees that an 18 year old could legally carry a weapon in the manner I mentioned.

I would take it that the exception I mentioned would apply because it says "unless an exception granted". And one is granted in .060.

Oh I didn't mean to infer you made a mistake. You are very careful about not making mistakes. On the other hand I make many.:p

That's the problem with the implicit statement "an exception granted". What does that exception need to be granted to? In other contexts, it generally says what the exception applies to (see, for example, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.050 "subject to the exception granted the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle in this chapter").

Gah, I'm going to have to contact a legislator about this, aren't I? Maybe I can just ask them to strike all of 240 (of course, they wouldn't listen ;) ).

sudden valley gunner

That's the problem with the implicit statement "an exception granted". What does that exception need to be granted to? In other contexts, it generally says what the exception applies to (see, for example, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.050 "subject to the exception granted the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle in this chapter").

Gah, I'm going to have to contact a legislator about this, aren't I? Maybe I can just ask them to strike all of 240 (of course, they wouldn't listen ;) ).

You are right.

If you contact a legislature and would like me to write something also I'm on board, maybe even take a trip to Oly if need be.