• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone open carry in Morehead

Cgm2414

Hi, just registered to the forum been reading for the past couple hours and only found a couple things pertaining to Morehead. I am only 18 and have personally never open carried though I most likely will be within a few days. So some feedback about OCing in Morehead would be nice.

Thanks

09jisaac

My advice would be to read and understand all the laws pertaining to you (US and kentucky laws) and its not a bad idea to carry them around with you. Don't let a LEO tell you you're too young to carry. I don't know about morehead university but I would suggest stay off of the campus with it unless you know you can carry there (I doubt you can). Stay safe.

And only carry a gun if you are prepared to take another man's (or woman or child if need be) life. Carrying a gun is a great responsibility, think about situations you may be in and think about what you are going to do in those situations before you are put in them. That way you can react in a split second.

Cgm2414

I would absolutely never carry at the university, IMO there is to much of a risk for that. I plan on carrying some info around with me as well, With as many shootings happening in this day in time I have often tried to think about how scenarios may play out. Although I hope to never have to use my firearm for anything other than recreational target shooting I do feel confident about my ability to handle the situation at hand and use my firearm for my personal protection and possibly others.

DrakeZ07

Not that I live in Morehead, but just a county away~ I often OC over at the lake, at the Walmarts (better selection than the walmarts in Mt. Sterling) and down town on occasion~ Haven't had any real problems, but I suggest not OC'ing in the McDonald's by Saint Claire unless you want to be banned there... Their not really in touch with corporate HQ~

Comm

Hi, I used to live in Morehead, but now live in Nicholasville. I can't really say about the LEO's in Morehead, but can say to stay off the University campus, and even while on their parking lots. I work at U.K. and Morehead has sided with U.K. in the lawsuit with a fellow CC who is suing UK for having a weapon in his vehicle.
So, stay safe, and make sure you are aware of the University's boundaries while OC.

Cgm2414

Most certainly I will never carry near the university, the main places I will be carrying is if I'm fishing around the lake, or coming from shooting at my property and stop to get something to eat. I just have to get up the nerve to actually do it now though.

09jisaac

Most certainly I will never carry near the university, the main places I will be carrying is if I'm fishing around the lake, or coming from shooting at my property and stop to get something to eat. I just have to get up the nerve to actually do it now though.

Another important thing to note is if it corps of engineer property it is considered a military base and as such the commanding officer makes the laws that govern it. Yatesville state park is like this, no guns anywhere there.

Cgm2414

I kind of started thinking about it being COE property and how that would affect OCing there, and it does say no weapons if I am not mistaken. I will have to further look into the signs and COE weapons policies regarding cave run

DrakeZ07

I kind of started thinking about it being COE property and how that would affect OCing there, and it does say no weapons if I am not mistaken. I will have to further look into the signs and COE weapons policies regarding cave run

I've only really noticed the no firearms signs at the Licking river side of the Dam, and on the other side in that lil horse trail side that you can walk over along the lake side (Don't night fish there unless you either are prepared to lose a pole, or use heavy pound test line). I dunno if the Bath, Rowan, and Menifee County portions of the lake itself are considered COE property, but I haven't seen any NO FREARMS signs by Leatherwood, Warix, Windy Bay, musky bend, etc. And haven't really had any problems with KDFWR LEO's who like to go out of their way to walk down a steep embankment just to check my license, and have seen my revolver on my hip~

09jisaac

I've only really noticed the no firearms signs at the Licking river side of the Dam, and on the other side in that lil horse trail side that you can walk over along the lake side (Don't night fish there unless you either are prepared to lose a pole, or use heavy pound test line). I dunno if the Bath, Rowan, and Menifee County portions of the lake itself are considered COE property, but I haven't seen any NO FREARMS signs by Leatherwood, Warix, Windy Bay, musky bend, etc. And haven't really had any problems with KDFWR LEO's who like to go out of their way to walk down a steep embankment just to check my license, and have seen my revolver on my hip~

But just because their are no signs don't make it legal. The COE usually, or at least all the lakes around here, own the WHOLE lake. But some they just own the damn. If it is state property you can roam freely there, no matter what the signage states. But as soon as it is federal better watch what you're doing.

neuroblades

Morehead, MSU, & ACOE.

In Morehead, you shouldn't have an issue unless under 21, Some LEO's like to try to flex their muscle with younger OC'ers. I've carried without incident in Morehead since I started carrying here after moving back from Florida.

As for MSU, I'd not attempt to try OC there. A close friend of mine was getting ready to start college there and mentioned that Morehead Campus P.D. was hiring. I was going to apply but the only openings were in dispatch. While there I struck up a friendly & jovial consersation with some of the officers and learned that they take a different POV on OC than we do. As was mentioned here, MSU had sided with UK about on-campus carry.

As for ACOE, Paintsville Lake is a repressive lake, posting No Firearms signs before even getting into the lake area. Their placement of signage leaves alot to be desired though! The placed the signs were you have to continue past the signs to turn around or remove your sidearm.

On the other hand, we have Dewey Lake just outside Prestonsburg; they have signs up as well but their signs are ONLY for the spillway area but once again, their signs are posted once you're on your way down into the spillway so you either have to turn around or remove your sidearm. Dewey Lake is a by far better lake in this area and the ONLY area that's "off-limits" is the spillway, the lake is wide open to OC! :)

The last information I had read was the the ACOE OC issue was under a serious review and could be going by the wayside like that of state park OC & national park OC.