• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon schools teach children to ignore laws when you don't like them

We-the-People

their policy is unenforceable, let them keep it...... as a fond memory !

That's the way I figure it.

On the bright side, one of the staff members I know at RCC asked if I "tickled" about the appeals court decision last month. I told him yup and was looking forward to going to SOU "well heeled". He told me RCC had sent out a memo to all staff saying "we don't like it but there's nothign we can do about an armed student". Nice to see they "get it". I've also already heard similar about SOU so it sounds like most of the bureaucrats have finally gotten the message.

carracer

I am confused here. Does Oregon law NOT prohibit carry in schools k-12? I understand the higher College institutions, but, not the primary schools.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I am confused here. Does Oregon law NOT prohibit carry in schools k-12? I understand the higher College institutions, but, not the primary schools.

With a CHL you can carry in K-12 schools as well as in colleges. Without a CHL you can't carry any of those places.

Ironbar

This is taken from Newberg School District's policy KG-AR re-adopted 12/10/07:

Community Use of District Facilities and Grounds, Event, Section 11:

11. Prohibited activities on district property, including inside and outside of district buildings or inside
of vehicles on district property whether parked, stopped, or moving are as follows:

a. Use of tobacco in any form;
b. Consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages;
c. Possession or use of drugs exclusive of legally obtained prescription drugs and
over-the-counter medications;
d. Use or possession of unlawful firearms, knives or other weapons;
e. Overnight camping;
f. Public urination;
g. Gambling.

I may not be an attorney, but could the school district get away with this simply by including the word "unlawful"? After all, according to Oregon law my concealed weapon along with my valid CHL is NOT unlawful when carried on school grounds.

Just asking.

dustin.vallee88

That's the way I figure it.

On the bright side, one of the staff members I know at RCC asked if I "tickled" about the appeals court decision last month. I told him yup and was looking forward to going to SOU "well heeled". He told me RCC had sent out a memo to all staff saying "we don't like it but there's nothign we can do about an armed student". Nice to see they "get it". I've also already heard similar about SOU so it sounds like most of the bureaucrats have finally gotten the message.

As I will be attending RCC for another 9 months I would be interested to see a policy update. I searched all over there website but couldn't find anything.

We-the-People

As I will be attending RCC for another 9 months I would be interested to see a policy update. I searched all over there website but couldn't find anything.

I highly doubt taht without any pressure from students/community that there will be any written policy change made. They'll simply leave the offending passage in the Student Code of Conduct in the hopes that it will cause some to be in fear of some sort of sanction and not exercise their constitutional (Oregon and federal) and lawful rights.

Perhaps e-mails to the Board of Directors for RCC and the College President would recieve some sort of written reply that admits they can't do anything. Afterall, some staff at RCC have reported that they've been sent an e-mail saying there is nothing they can do about it.

4sooth

Oregon needs the Florida "Willful Violation" law. Any public official who willfully violates a firearm law is guilty of a felony. More than a few cities and towns are scrambling to erase various ordinances from their books.

We-the-People

Oregon needs the Florida "Willful Violation" law. Any public official who willfully violates a firearm law is guilty of a felony. More than a few cities and towns are scrambling to erase various ordinances from their books.

Oh if only we could get that....it would be interesting around these parts. I don't recall reading that it would be a felony though, just a big fine. Intersting.