• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thompson guilty of excessive force, and

hermannr

Spokane only thought they had budget problems.

Sgt Thompson was found guilt of using excessive force on adult downs syndrome janitor Otto Zehm (Otto was basically beaten to death, and he was doing absolutely nothing illegal), and then altering his report and lying to police investigators.

There could be up to 9 more Spokane officers that may face criminal charges on this, and the attempted coverup.

My comment is: How many more people have been brutalized but this guy, or guys he has trained? He had been on the Spokane Police force for over 20 years?

I hope the police in WA take notice when they decide they are going to do a gang beatdown of one guy.

hermannr

You have never been hasseled for doing nothing at all illegal?

It doesn't matter if you have a 2L bottle of pop in your hand, or a pistol on your hip, when you get taken down by guys like Thompson, it is, knock the guy down and make him realize who is in charge here first, then ask questions.

I cannot believe that no-one even attempted to talk to Otto before they beat him to death. Ya, dead.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
This is truly outrageous and I would have hoped he would have been found guilty of murder then violating his civil rights by using excessive force.
Zehm was the subject of a police search after two teenagers reported he might have stolen money at an ATM, though it was later revealed he had done nothing wrong.

Thompson was the first officer to respond and found Zehm entering the store March 18, 2006. Surveillance video shows Thompson rushing up to Zehm, knocking him to the ground and repeatedly striking him with a police baton.

Thompson, 64, has more than 40 years of law enforcement experience.

According to police, officers later hogtied and sat on Zehm, who died without regaining consciousness.

Full Story

Otto Zehm, was a 36-year-old schizophrenic man according to the story, I do not know if anyone has dealt with people with this disease but they truly feel they hear voices and irrational fears, I have no idea of this did play a part in the use of force or not, but according to the
medical examiner concluded Zehm died from lack of oxygen to the brain due to heart failure while being restrained on his stomach. No other officers were charged.
I do not see the need after someone is restrained the need to sit upon them as when I worked in Corrections I have had to fight stronger and more dangerous felons then he would have been, once restrained then efforts are made to ensure no harm comes to them, no matter how many times you may have been hit, kicked, spit on, feces and urine thrown on you.

1911er

There are cops like that everywhere

I had A detective in Port Orchard tell me that if someone called 911 because I was OCing he would arrest me at gunpoint and put me in jail. Because if someone called 911 it warranted alarm.
So I went to the PO police department and talked to one of the Commanders and he told me they couldn't arrest me for just OCing.
So I suggested he tell all his department that it was legal to OC and simply carrying A handgun in A holster does not warrant alarm. Awaiting my next interaction with The detective

hermannr

This is truly outrageous and I would have hoped he would have been found guilty of murder then violating his civil rights by using excessive force.

Otto Zehm, was a 36-year-old schizophrenic man according to the story, I do not know if anyone has dealt with people with this disease but they truly feel they hear voices and irrational fears, I have no idea of this did play a part in the use of force or not, but according to the

I do not see the need after someone is restrained the need to sit upon them as when I worked in Corrections I have had to fight stronger and more dangerous felons then he would have been, once restrained then efforts are made to ensure no harm comes to them, no matter how many times you may have been hit, kicked, spit on, feces and urine thrown on you.

Actually BigDave, I'm pretty sure the original report was that Otto was a "marginal Down's syndrome" That would mean he was mentally functional, but not mentally fuctional at his physical age. The Wiki only calls him "mentally diabled", I have no idea where the Spokesman Review (no friend of ours newpaper) came up with the schizo idea. In the 5 years I have followed this story I have never heard that he was schizo before today.

Everything I have heard about Otto as a person would cooberate the "downs syndrome" diagnosis. Very quiet and happy. Hope the Spokesman Reveiw is sued for defamation of character...it would serve them right.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Thanks for the update as I am not familiar with the surrounding story, but it seems things surely went far beyond they should have been.

hermannr

This is the classic case of police excessive use of force and coverup...however, they got caught in their lies... and I'm sure Otto's heirs are going to become very wealthy from this, not that it helps poor Otto.

However, his death may help us with better mannered police.

Trigger Dr

...aaaaaaaand cue SVG with the "few bad apples" line! :p

What ever you do....DO NOT get this **** started on this forum AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! He is borderline anarchist and will result in more problems for OC than he realizes. SVG tries to do what he thinks is the right thing, but he does not think enough.

Metalhead47

What ever you do....DO NOT get this **** started on this forum AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! He is borderline anarchist and will result in more problems for OC than he realizes. SVG tries to do what he thinks is the right thing, but he does not think enough.

Hey don't sugar coat it man, tell us how you really feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fallschirjmäger

I had A detective in Port Orchard tell me that if someone called 911 because I was OCing he would arrest me at gunpoint and put me in jail. Because if someone called 911 it warranted alarm.
So I went to the PO police department and talked to one of the Commanders and he told me they couldn't arrest me for just OCing.
So I suggested he tell all his department that it was legal to OC and simply carrying A handgun in A holster does not warrant alarm. Awaiting my next interaction with The detective

Don't wait, call the non-emergency number and ask them to pass a message on to Detective, "There's an individual openly carrying a firearm at the corner of Liberty Avenue and Freedom Street, and Detective Dick wanted to know." Sit back wait for fireworks.

sudden valley gunner

Hahahaha, you starting something by saying don't start something.....lol....in a thread I only had passing interest in.

Of course it boils down to ad hominem and demagoguery. Please take the time to research and contradict anything I say with reason and logic. Or is it just too much of an emotional issue with some.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Anarchist, Man you hit that nail on the head and fits him so well and watch our for his ad hominem and demagoguery attacks that he accuses others with so often when in fact that is his practice.

Metalhead47

Hahahaha, you starting something by saying don't start something.....lol....in a thread I only had passing interest in.

Of course it boils down to ad hominem and demagoguery. Please take the time to research and contradict anything I say with reason and logic. Or is it just too much of an emotional issue with some.

Actually.... you never even posted in this thread until now, either. :uhoh:

BigDeeeeeeee

Since I joined this forum I've come to the conclusion that OC can be about the 1st, 4th, and 5th Amendments as much as the 2nd. RIP Otto.

Last edited: