Thread: "Man with a gun" causes school lockdown in Rocky Mount

"Man with a gun" causes school lockdown in Rocky Mount

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/300578

Two Franklin County schools were on lockdown for an hour Tuesday morning after a caller reported a man with a gun walking along Rocky Mount's North Main Street near the KFC restaurant, police said.

[...]

Because of the proximity to Benjamin Franklin Middle School and the Gereau Center, both buildings were immediately locked down, Assistant Superintendent Sue Rogers said.

[...]

Although the Grassy Hill Natural Area Preserve, which is allowing deer hunting until January, is nearby, there is no reason a hunter should be walking along North Main Street with a gun, [interim police chief David] Cundiff said.

It's very likely that the caller was just trying to cause a stir in the community.

It appears he/she got their wish.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    It's very likely that the caller was just trying to cause a stir in the community.

It appears he/she got their wish.

Oh sweet irony how I love thee...
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Have any thoughts you'd care to share?
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 11-04-2011 at 01:41 AM. Reason: edited for courtesy
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Geeze this is like the new fake bmb threat ploy to get out of exams. Kids. They're just too damn smart, lol.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Geeze this is like the new fake bmb threat ploy to get out of exams. Kids. They're just too damn smart, lol.
    I don't think it's kids. Sounds more like a transplant who doesn't like hunting, shooting, guns or maybe all of the above.
    People who want to change my state to what they left are high on my list.

Just like the people who buy houses in subdivisions that were built near established shooting ranges, then complain about the noise and "DANGER OF STRAY SHOTS".

Another Bert and Ernie alert brought to you by our government

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    If this were the case, my son would have been asking me to go for a walk on specific days...

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    If this were the case, my son would have been asking me to go for a walk on specific days...
    Yeah, I was mostly being snarky. I don't think it was a kid, and agree with Peter Nap.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life