• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Man with a gun" causes school lockdown in Rocky Mount

Tosta Dojen

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/300578

Two Franklin County schools were on lockdown for an hour Tuesday morning after a caller reported a man with a gun walking along Rocky Mount's North Main Street near the KFC restaurant, police said.

[...]

Because of the proximity to Benjamin Franklin Middle School and the Gereau Center, both buildings were immediately locked down, Assistant Superintendent Sue Rogers said.

[...]

Although the Grassy Hill Natural Area Preserve, which is allowing deer hunting until January, is nearby, there is no reason a hunter should be walking along North Main Street with a gun, [interim police chief David] Cundiff said.

MilProGuy

It's very likely that the caller was just trying to cause a stir in the community.

It appears he/she got their wish.

Badger Johnson

Geeze this is like the new fake bmb threat ploy to get out of exams. Kids. They're just too damn smart, lol.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Geeze this is like the new fake bmb threat ploy to get out of exams. Kids. They're just too damn smart, lol.

I don't think it's kids. Sounds more like a transplant who doesn't like hunting, shooting, guns or maybe all of the above.
People who want to change my state to what they left are high on my list.

Just like the people who buy houses in subdivisions that were built near established shooting ranges, then complain about the noise and "DANGER OF STRAY SHOTS".

Another Bert and Ernie alert brought to you by our government:banghead: