• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House votes on reaffirming our Nation's Motto

Daylen

MilProGuy

And you would be wrong, President Dwight D Eisenhower signed In God We Trust as our national motto in 1956. US Code, Title 36, section 302 under national motto. http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe?getdoc+uscview+t33t36+1700+3++(in god we trust)

CHAPTER 3 - NATIONAL ANTHEM, MOTTO, FLORAL EMBLEM1A\1\ MARCH, AND

TREE

-HEAD-
Sec. 302. National motto

-STATUTE-
"In God we trust" is the national motto.
-SOURCE-
(Pub. L. 105-225, Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1263; Pub. L. 107-293,
Sec. 3(a), Nov. 13, 2002, 116 Stat. 2060.)

Daylen

CHAPTER 3 - NATIONAL ANTHEM, MOTTO, FLORAL EMBLEM1A\1\ MARCH, AND

TREE

-HEAD-
Sec. 302. National motto

-STATUTE-
"In God we trust" is the national motto.
-SOURCE-
(Pub. L. 105-225, Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1263; Pub. L. 107-293,
Sec. 3(a), Nov. 13, 2002, 116 Stat. 2060.)

Why don't you look in an important place like the Great Seal of the United States? See what it says there. National mottos and things of great importance shouldn't be changed so easily as passing a simple majority vote. I don't think the national motto was truly ever changed because the Great Seal was never changed.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Booooo! I'm with the other guy that said this is grandstanding and a waste of time. This was adopted first in 1956 and NOT at founding. Showed up on coins in 1864 and paper currency in 1957.

Last edited:

kcgunfan

Why don't you look in an important place like the Great Seal of the United States? See what it says there. National mottos and things of great importance shouldn't be changed so easily as passing a simple majority vote. I don't think the national motto was truly ever changed because the Great Seal was never changed.

You have been given a reference in the US Code that says In God We Trust is the national motto of the USA. If you think it is something else, feel free to find a different reference in the US Code.

Just having some words on a Seal doesn't make that the motto of the USA, after all, there are 2 other phrases on the Great Seal, "Annuit Coeptis" and "Novus Ordo Seclorum". Would you argue that there are 3 national mottos?

MilProGuy

I'm 99% sure he was being sarcastic...

And you are correct.

The sarcasm was directed (totally) at the fellow who thinks we have 57 states and whose White House staff doesn't know the difference between Wyoming and Colorado.

Last edited: