Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off-Duty Cop Accidently Fires Gun in Southridge Mall

Off-Duty Cop Accidently Fires Gun in Southridge Mall

http://greendale.patch.com/articles/...outhridge-mall

So why can police carry in this banned area but we cannot?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Herr Heckler Koch
    quote=WISNThey said the officer reached into his pocket to get some money, his gun fell out and the weapon discharged.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    So the officer carried a gun that was not drop proof.

Was that particular model approved by his department for off-duty carry?

Had a report of a similar incident at the old Virginia State Penitentiary once - tower officer claimed he dropped his revolver and it discharged. There were no broken or damaged parts and could not duplicate the AD/ND......wonder why?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Any one know what make and model.

Guns do not discharge by themselves and modern firearms are drop proof. Bullet hit the floor - hmmm - sounds like the discharge happened in his hand. Odds are that this gentleman disobeyed basic safety rules and let his booger picker get onto the bang stick.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    Guns do not discharge by themselves and modern firearms are drop proof. Bullet hit the floor - hmmm - sounds like the discharge happened in his hand. Odds are that this gentleman disobeyed basic safety rules and let his booger picker get onto the bang stick.
    I'd almost be willing to bet that this is the contributing factor which causes most ADs and NDs.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    http://greendale.patch.com/articles/...outhridge-mall

From the article.....

""The gun fell out of his pocket and discharged with a bullet hitting the floor.""

Pretty amazing. must have bent the barrell. after it FELL out it hit the floor, discharged, and the bullet hit the floor.

sounds kind of abnormal....
    May I see your First, Fourth And Thirteenth Amendment Permits, please?

Guns do not make you a killer. I
    think killing makes you a killer. You can kill
    someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is
    trying to ban you from driving to the ball game. (Andy Rooney RIP)

Herr Heckler Koch
    http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/133146768.html
    No one was hurt, and the chief explained the bullet disintegrated when it hit the marble floor, so nothing was damaged.

Malasuk said the off-duty officer's gun never fell to the floor.
    Frangible bullet too.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Dropping a handgun straight onto the barrel will transmit the inertia directly to the hammer with considerable force - one reason why most carried the old style revolvers with " five beans in a barrel" = no load under the hammer.

Sincerely doubt that is what the officer had though.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

McX
    had this been a citizen, their gun would have been confiscated, and they would have been charged. it is good to be one of the beautiful people.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post

Sounds like one magic Loogie...

Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Open records request? He should get a trespassing ticket, Discharging a firearm in city limits (I think) and If it were one of us; some kind of reckless endangerment charge.

The mall is posted and I'm pretty sure the policy is to allow firearms for on-duty officers in the line of duty.

Like Doug would say; were all equal, just some more then others.

I feel bad for the guy, it would suck to have a ND in such a public area. They say its not if but when you have your ND, we are all human and make mess up. Just a good example to have a great holster with some type of positive retention to keep the trigger covered.

lol, The police are the only ones responsible enough to carry a weapon in public...LOL HA HA HA HA HA HA...

This moron should have his cop card revoked.

Sticks it in his pocket, right by his car keys ? Did this MORON Ever hear of a Holster, belt holster, shoulder rig, etc...that provides for positive retention & that covers the trigger ? This COP had a Negligent Discharge in a Public place..he should be going to jail like what would happen with anyone of us !!!

I don't feel bad for him..he is COP he is supposed to be so much more responsible than the rest of us stupid civilians..
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 11-03-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Snip from the article....

Greendale Police did not cite him,

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

I don't have the link, as I already closed it, but another source states that it went off when he reached into his pocket to get money, and that it was NOT dropped.

Hmm, trigger control anyone? It's a good thing that only well trained LEOs can carry in the mall.

I read this article assuming this was a Greendale officer - but no - it was a Milwaukee police officer who shot the mall floor endangering the lives of other patrons. It wasn't even two weeks ago another Milwaukee officer had a ND and shot himself in the foot during a traffic stop.

I'd like to know what Chief Flynn has to say about this given his fearmongering, idiotic statements about the CC issue.... I'm sure he has criticized the bill's lack of training requirements and the danger that CC puts his officers in. Pot calling the kettle black....
    Last edited by McNutty; 11-03-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Out of 5000 models drop tested in Cali only one model drop fired and it was redesigned immediately.

Again, it was NOT a dropped firearm.

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/133146768.html

Also, the article states that he was at the pretzel shop, which I am assuming means he was at Auntie Anne's. If that is the case, then he is very lucky as AA is on the 2nd story of the mall. He could have fired into someone below him.

Campaign Veteran
    Had it been anyone else (civilian) we would have been thrown UNDER the jail. But since this guy was a cop and trained (might even be a brother of the guy who shot himself getting out of his squad car), he gets a free pass. Maybe if I became a cop, I could shoot my gun in public and get a firm talking to. TMJ claims that Greendale police turned him over to MPD to "review proper safety protocol".

What a joke.

If I was Flynn, I'd be against the masses carrying too, since he obviously has so many issues in his own department
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    Also, the article states that he was at the pretzel shop, which I am assuming means he was at Auntie Anne's. If that is the case, then he is very lucky as AA is on the 2nd story of the mall. He could have fired into someone below him.
    I still want to know, how does a firearm accidentally go off?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I'm sorry but I just need to point out that in modern construction of malls and other commercial type buildings that the floor is ALWAYS made of concrete. There's no way a bullet is going to penetrate the floor.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

McX
    probably just as an accidental train horn discharge could occur in a building.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    I'm sorry but I just need to point out that in modern construction of malls and other commercial type buildings that the floor is ALWAYS made of concrete. There's no way a bullet is going to penetrate the floor.
    I wasn't saying through the floor, I was saying if he was close to the center, or if it was fired at an angle it could go through the air down to the first story.

Modern firearms don't accidentally go off, they go off when the trigger is pressed.

I wasn't saying through the floor, I was saying if he was close to the center, or if it was fired at an angle it could go through the air down to the first story.

Modern firearms don't accidentally go off, they go off when the trigger is pressed.
    Aha, I see. And of course you're right about the trigger pressing. A pocket holster would have helped with that if he didn't want the gun on his waist. What a moron! He should be fired and charged.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast