• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off-Duty Cop Accidently Fires Gun in Southridge Mall

H

Herr Heckler Koch

quote=WISNThey said the officer reached into his pocket to get some money, his gun fell out and the weapon discharged.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So the officer carried a gun that was not drop proof. :uhoh:

Was that particular model approved by his department for off-duty carry?

Had a report of a similar incident at the old Virginia State Penitentiary once - tower officer claimed he dropped his revolver and it discharged. There were no broken or damaged parts and could not duplicate the AD/ND......wonder why?

jpm84092

Guns do not discharge by themselves and modern firearms are drop proof. Bullet hit the floor - hmmm - sounds like the discharge happened in his hand. Odds are that this gentleman disobeyed basic safety rules and let his booger picker get onto the bang stick.

MilProGuy

Guns do not discharge by themselves and modern firearms are drop proof. Bullet hit the floor - hmmm - sounds like the discharge happened in his hand. Odds are that this gentleman disobeyed basic safety rules and let his booger picker get onto the bang stick.

I'd almost be willing to bet that this is the contributing factor which causes most ADs and NDs.

Packfanatic

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Dropping a handgun straight onto the barrel will transmit the inertia directly to the hammer with considerable force - one reason why most carried the old style revolvers with " five beans in a barrel" = no load under the hammer.

Sincerely doubt that is what the officer had though.

M

McX

had this been a citizen, their gun would have been confiscated, and they would have been charged. it is good to be one of the beautiful people.

Jason in WI

So why can police carry in this banned area but we cannot? :cuss:

Open records request? He should get a trespassing ticket, Discharging a firearm in city limits (I think) and If it were one of us; some kind of reckless endangerment charge.

The mall is posted and I'm pretty sure the policy is to allow firearms for on-duty officers in the line of duty.

Like Doug would say; were all equal, just some more then others.

I feel bad for the guy, it would suck to have a ND in such a public area. They say its not if but when you have your ND, we are all human and make mess up. Just a good example to have a great holster with some type of positive retention to keep the trigger covered.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
lol, The police are the only ones responsible enough to carry a weapon in public...LOL HA HA HA HA HA HA...

This moron should have his cop card revoked.

Sticks it in his pocket, right by his car keys ? Did this MORON Ever hear of a Holster, belt holster, shoulder rig, etc...that provides for positive retention & that covers the trigger ? This COP had a Negligent Discharge in a Public place..he should be going to jail like what would happen with anyone of us !!!

I don't feel bad for him..he is COP he is supposed to be so much more responsible than the rest of us stupid civilians..

Last edited:

TyGuy

I don't have the link, as I already closed it, but another source states that it went off when he reached into his pocket to get money, and that it was NOT dropped.

Hmm, trigger control anyone? It's a good thing that only well trained LEOs can carry in the mall.

McNutty

I read this article assuming this was a Greendale officer - but no - it was a Milwaukee police officer who shot the mall floor endangering the lives of other patrons. It wasn't even two weeks ago another Milwaukee officer had a ND and shot himself in the foot during a traffic stop.

I'd like to know what Chief Flynn has to say about this given his fearmongering, idiotic statements about the CC issue.... I'm sure he has criticized the bill's lack of training requirements and the danger that CC puts his officers in. Pot calling the kettle black....

Last edited:

Vandil

Out of 5000 models drop tested in Cali only one model drop fired and it was redesigned immediately.

TyGuy

Also, the article states that he was at the pretzel shop, which I am assuming means he was at Auntie Anne's. If that is the case, then he is very lucky as AA is on the 2nd story of the mall. He could have fired into someone below him.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Had it been anyone else (civilian) we would have been thrown UNDER the jail. But since this guy was a cop and trained (might even be a brother of the guy who shot himself getting out of his squad car), he gets a free pass. Maybe if I became a cop, I could shoot my gun in public and get a firm talking to. TMJ claims that Greendale police turned him over to MPD to "review proper safety protocol".

What a joke.

If I was Flynn, I'd be against the masses carrying too, since he obviously has so many issues in his own department