• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in Winter

ahughesart

In summer I would probably just strap to my belt, but with winter coming along, how is the best way to OC when wearing a jacket? I'm sure I haven't thought of everything, so if you guys could just give a little rundown on holsters and holster location possibilities, it would be great. Thanks!

09jisaac

I just tuck my carhart behind the handle of my gun, or just wear a whole bunch of shirts. Its not perfect but thats all I have. I think most on this site just go to CC in winter.

Sidenote: 1 month and 9 days I will be 21!!! And can take my concealed carry class if they have one that close to christmas.

Johnburns15

I either tuck my jacket behind my firearm, or recently. I purchased a shoulder rig for my firearm that will easily and comfortably fit over a jacket, coat, etc ;)

DrakeZ07

I use a drop-leg holster in the winter, it may come across as looking too militant to certain people, but I usually just wear jeans or khaki's while doing so~ I like how my jacket gets caught in the holster, or the handle, and I don't have to constantly un-conceal it if I bend down or whatever~

hermannr

Winter is a good reason for a permit, but if you are under 21 and cannot obtain a permit, a Carhart "Detroit" (Short, blanket lined) jacket works good.

I have a permit just so I don't have to dress for my carry, which is the same, summer or winter. In summer it is most definately OC, in winter, with a Carhart "Detroit" jacket it is still OC, parka or other heavy long coat, it is CC.

ahughesart

Winter is a good reason for a permit, but if you are under 21 and cannot obtain a permit, a Carhart "Detroit" (Short, blanket lined) jacket works good.

I have a permit just so I don't have to dress for my carry, which is the same, summer or winter. In summer it is most definately OC, in winter, with a Carhart "Detroit" jacket it is still OC, parka or other heavy long coat, it is CC.

Thanks, that's a nice looking jacket, as well :)

Any retailer around WestKY that you know of sell them? I'd order online but I want it to fit correctly.

09jisaac

Any retailer around WestKY that you know of sell them? I'd order online but I want it to fit correctly.

If it is anything like eastern KY only tractor supply has them. And they don't have a very wide selection of them.....

neuroblades

My Personal Advice: Tactical Drop Thigh Holster!

From time to time I use a "drop leg tactical" AKA a thigh holster, as well. I've never had any problems or issues with it from anyone; businesses or LEO. Granted, this will REALLY draw attention to the fact that you are CARRYING A SIDEARM. Meaning that if anyone's going to have issues, it will definitely get their attention FAST!

I generally got mine for OC in the winter months so that I could still wear a short jacket. I still wear it from time to time though during the summer. I've never really found it to be uncomfortable as had been mentioned, maybe it's just the design difference. I did find it to be far more comfortable when having to drive as opposed to a strong side hip holster which made it hard to buckle the seat belt and made it near impossible to access if need be when sitting in the driver's seat.

The drop leg holster on the other hand could still be worn comfortably without hindering the buckling and unbuckling of the seat belt and because of the holster being relocated lower, it was easier to access if need be while seated.

I hope that this helped you with your query.

Johnburns15

I've not really seen them anywhere. Mines not leather, and is adjustable so I didn't have an issue with the fitting. I'm not sure how adjustable the leather ones are.
I ordered mine off eBay, for $26.99. Free shipping and got it in 2 days.

hermannr

I think JC Penny carries Carhartt, but here is the source: Just enter your address and they will give you a list.

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/...yView?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10101

As to holster? that is a very personal item, you have to go with what suits you. Personally, I like leather, and with the Carhartt Detroit, the little leather thumbbreak holster that came with my CZ82, the gap between the pistol and the belt loop is perfect. For OC without a jacket it holds the pistol out a bit too far for me, but if you are wearing the jacket, that gap is perfect.

BTW: All CZ82's are used, and I think most come with that same holster, or at least should. The 9X18mm Makorov cartridge is fine too. You should be able to find the pistol with holster for about $250.

Last edited:

Johnburns15

I live in the Bryan station area. But I oc every day just about everywhere I go (except work). I carry a black ruger sr9c. May not be the biggest gun bu it'll do it's job, and with the shoulder holster it draws plenty of looks :)