• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Campus Protest @ GMU, 11/9/11 @11:30

grylnsmn

From the latest VA Alert:

1. George Mason University protest is set for November 9th

We now have the date for the Operation Campus Safety "No guns? NO FUNDS!" protest: Wednesday, November 9th!

The protest will run from 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM and will be held at the North Plaza, which is the area north of the Johnson Center, where there is a clock tower. It is pretty much in the center of the Fairfax campus.

Address of the GMU campus is:

4400 University Drive, Fairfax, Virginia 22030

A map is here:

http://eagle.gmu.edu/map/fairfax.php

**IMPORTANT NOTES - PLEASE READ IN ITS ENTIRETY**

George Mason University has a REGULATION, not a RULE, that prohibits the otherwise lawful carry of handguns into their buildings and events (such as a football game). I know, I know - George Mason is turning in his grave in shame.

What this means is that for those attending WHO ARE *NOT* STUDENTS, FACULTY, OR STAFF of GMU, you can carry OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDINGS if you wish - openly or concealed. GMU faculty, staff, or students are out of luck, but there is always the empty holster protest. In the photos below of the ODU protest you will see how one student handled his empty holster statement to the university.

For those carrying, the only issue is that to use the restroom or to get food, you will have to walk off campus to some local restaurants. Probably about a 5-minute walk. You might want to freshen up before you attend, consequently.

There is another option for those with a CHP: carry concealed using a fanny pack. The closed fanny pack can then be removed and handed to another VCDL member while you go to use the facilities. VCDL does not permit gun *handling* at its events, but since the gun is fully enclosed and fully concealed in a fanny pack, handing a fanny pack to someone else would be acceptable.

We will be carrying signs, handing out brochures, and talking to passersby. Like ODU, there will not be any amplified sound at this event.

I expect the press to be there and probably the antis.

The antis are welcome to come talk to any of us as long as they do so peacefully. However, if they become aggressive, we need to stay on our best behavior, as usual. There will be a police presence to handle things if any of them get out of hand.

If you have a voice recorder, you might turn it on once you are on campus and just leave it run until you leave campus in order to capture all your interactions.

GMU's repressive environment for self-defense is simply unacceptable in what is supposed to be a free country. It serves as a poster child for our "No guns? NO FUNDS!" protest.

As always the larger the turnout, the louder the message.

I'm looking forward to the protest - I'll see you there!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Such short notice on this one. I was kind of disappointed because I did want to go but will not be able to get out of work since schedules are made a couple weeks ahead of time. I am still going to try to wrangle a way to get there since it is my alma mater.

Philip,

If you're reading this, try and let us know a little sooner if possible. Please. :)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
As SOON as the event is firmed up, it goes out.. We have to wait for acceptable days, sponsors, permits, etc. There is no delay in getting the word out.

Facebook LINK: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=168505196576967

Well, I guess I meant plan it a bit further out. 6 days is not a lot of notice, especially when compared to the notice given for the other events. Not a complaint, just a suggestion to ensure we get as many participants as possible.

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Well, I guess I meant plan it a bit further out. 6 days is not a lot of notice, especially when compared to the notice given for the other events. Not a complaint, just a suggestion to ensure we get as many participants as possible.
We are tryin to get them in before people start planning for Thanksgiving and have many schools to plan for.. I expect them ALL to be in NOV.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
We are tryin to get them in before people start planning for Thanksgiving and have many schools to plan for.. I expect them ALL to be in NOV.

Okay, okay, okay, I'm just bitter because I really wanted to go. :D

Bob1

Any particular parking arrangements for VCDL participants?

Or just use available spots on the Shenandoah, Mason Pond and Rappahannock River visitor parking decks? Last time I was there, believe it was $3/hour.

hunter45

So non-students will be carrying, but students cannot? Does this mean that the Police will be checking every OC'er to see if they are a student? What If I OC and do not have my student ID on me? Do I have to give my information to the police so that they can verify if I am a student of the University?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
So non-students will be carrying, but students cannot? Does this mean that the Police will be checking every OC'er to see if they are a student? What If I OC and do not have my student ID on me? Do I have to give my information to the police so that they can verify if I am a student of the University?
GMU students are not allowed by policy to carry.. even if they are legal to. but students from other schools can carry at GMU. The police won't be checking to see where you go to school as they (probably) don't care. It is not against the law for the student to carry..

grylnsmn

Courtesy of an emergency call on Sunday (causing me to work a half day), my boss has agreed to let me work from home tomorrow for a half day, which will allow me to attend the protest at my alma mater.

The only real question now will be to carry or not to carry. My wife and son are coming along, and she'd like to see where I went to college. That will likely mean going into buildings, which would mean no carry.

On the other hand, I'd really rather be armed. As I don't have a bag that I could carry in easily (other than the boy's diaper bag, maybe), the VCDL option doesn't appear to be a good idea for us.

Docgmt

GMU Parking

From a VCDL email. See you there:banana:

The protest will run from 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM and will be held at the North Plaza, which is the area north of the Johnson Center, where there is a clock tower. It is pretty much in the center of the Fairfax campus.

Address of the GMU campus is:

4400 University Drive, Fairfax, Virginia 22030

A map is here:

http://eagle.gmu.edu/map/fairfax.php

PARKING

There is a parking garage for public parking nearby that we can use: the Mason Pond Parking Deck. The hourly parking rate is $3.

**IMPORTANT NOTES - PLEASE READ IN ITS ENTIRETY**

George Mason University has a REGULATION, not a RULE, that prohibits the otherwise lawful carry of handguns into their buildings and events (such as a football game). I know, I know - George Mason is turning in his grave in shame.

What this means is that for those attending WHO ARE *NOT* STUDENTS, FACULTY, OR STAFF of GMU, you can carry OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDINGS if you wish - openly or concealed. GMU faculty, staff, or students are out of luck, but there is always the empty holster protest.

For those carrying, the only issue is that to use the restroom or to get food, you will have to walk off campus to some local restaurants. At least a 5-minute walk. You might want to freshen up before you attend, consequently.

There is another option for those with a CHP: carry concealed using a fanny pack. The closed fanny pack can then be removed and handed to another VCDL member WHO ALSO HAS A CHP while you go to use the facilities. VCDL does not permit gun *handling* at its events, but since the gun is fully enclosed and fully concealed in a fanny pack, handing a fanny pack to someone else would be acceptable.

grylnsmn

I'd say it went fairly well today. The wife, son, and I got there about 11:35, and there were a good number of people already there with big orange stickers on, big signs in their hands, and handing out brochures.

I spent a good part of the time talking with two young ladies from the UK who made very little sense. They kept focusing on how crime is relatively rare, but then would turn around and criticize me for carrying because in the case of that rare occurrence, there is a even rarer chance that my firearm might make things worse.

My answer? Let's say that there's a 1:100000 chance that I'll be a victim of a violent crime. Now, let's say that there's a 1:10 chance that the criminal would be able to take my gun away from me (or otherwise my gun would make things worse). That means that there is roughly a 1:1000000 chance that something will go horribly wrong, and a 999999:1000000 chance that either nothing would happen or I would successfully defend myself or my family.

Strangely, after focusing on the 99999:100000 chance that I wouldn't be the victim of a crime, they wanted to focus on the 1:1000000 chance that I might make things worse.

Where's the logic in that?

EDIT: I should add that one of the young ladies commented about having checked these forums before coming by. If you are reading this, it was a pleasure to talk to you, but your arguments are based in emotion and not reason.

Last edited:

VApatriot

All in all, I found the media coverage to be some of the more un-biased reporting I've seen. Both sides were giving just about equal time, and, as usual, the antis didn't really have anything to say that made much sense. "Burke Patch" also has a very short article on the protest that is fairly un-biased.

grylnsmn

A little while ago, I went down to the Safeway in Rosslyn (near my office) to get some lunch, and the cashier on my line did a double take. He paused and then asked me if I had been part of that "gun thing" at GMU yesterday.

I answered yes, and explained a bit of why I was there. (I also corrected him about it being a NRA event, and explained about VCDL.) Evidently, with my goatee and height, I stood out in his mind.

Sadly, he didn't choose to give me a discount on my purchase, not even in exchange for an autograph. :(