• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got Made today after 10 years of carrying.

rob99vmi04

Well I was at Chipotle in Fairfax Corner for lunch. I had exposed my magazine because, well everybody always thinks its sometype of electronic device. After about 20 minutes of sitting at the table the gentleman behind me said "Excuse me sir is that an Clip for a gun" I Politily responded, why no its not, its a "Magazine". He then said, "Whats a Magazine?" My smart ass said, "A magazine is a device that feeds my gun." He had one of those priceless whiskey tango foxtrot looks on his face.

I went back to eating my lunch, no swat team showed up, no black helicoptors, do not even know if he called the police. After about 45 minutes got up and walked out. All is well.

curtiswr

You have oc'd for 10 years with no one noticing it ever?

Or is this a CHP story, in which case why post it on OCDO?

Why would he have called the police?

Why be a smartass without knowing the intentions behind his curiosity?

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Well I was at Chipotle in Fairfax Corner for lunch. I had exposed my magazine because, well everybody always thinks its sometype of electronic device. After about 20 minutes of sitting at the table the gentleman behind me said "Excuse me sir is that an Clip for a gun" I Politily responded, why no its not, its a "Magazine". He then said, "Whats a Magazine?" My smart ass said, "A magazine is a device that feeds my gun." He had one of those priceless whiskey tango foxtrot looks on his face.

I went back to eating my lunch, no swat team showed up, no black helicoptors, do not even know if he called the police. After about 45 minutes got up and walked out. All is well.

I think I'd have said 'What, do I look like the Encyclopaedia Brittanica?', smiled wryly and gone back to eating. No sense giving someone 'ammo' to call you in about (even though it didn't happen here).

Everyone on OCDO wants to be a good ambassador, but IMO, the less said the better. STRANGERS coming up to you and without introducing themselves, making a little small talk and just POINT BLANK asking you (intrusively, I might add) 'is that a gun/mag/clip/holy hand-grenade?' are not worth talking to.

$.02

rob99vmi04

You have oc'd for 10 years with no one noticing it ever? ?

I have alternated between OC and Concealed. In this particular case, the gun was concealed my magazine was exposed. And to answer your question yes this is the first time anybody has ever said anything regardless of me carrying open or concealed.

Or is this a CHP story, in which case why post it on OCDO?
See above.

Why would he have called the police?
That part was a joke! Hence the Black helicopter comment.

Why be a smartass without knowing the intentions behind his curiosity?

Not all of us carry so that every momement of our lives, others may ask why we do so. It does not bother me that you and others consider themselves amassadors to open carry and want to educate inquiring minds as to why open carry. Just as it should not bother you if at that particular moment I would prefer to not talk to somebody expecially while I'm in the middle of something else. I'll be honost, if I saw someone sitting down having lunch with someone else, deep in conversation I would not walk up to them and just to ask them if they were carrying a Gun, Magazine, Knife, or IPHONE 5. Do I not have the right to choose when I want to be left alone?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think the point Curtis was making was that it was a CC story, not OC and probably shouldn't be on an OPEN CARRY BOARD.

It's a little like going on a hunting Board and talking about the great perks you got when you joined PETA.

BUT, I've about given up on anyone North of Ashland understanding that.

curtiswr

You didn't choose to be left alone, though. You chose to engage the man in conversation after he politely said "excuse me" to ask you a question.

I dunno... This story seems unnecessary here but seems to be here for enjoyment/laughs/back pats based off of the reception of other reports/stories of users being smartassed to antis or police officers harassing/badgering them.

Oh well, I'll leave you, your bitterness, and your smartassery alone now.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think I'd have said 'What, do I look like the Encyclopaedia Brittanica?', smiled wryly and gone back to eating. No sense giving someone 'ammo' to call you in about (even though it didn't happen here).

Everyone on OCDO wants to be a good ambassador, but IMO, the less said the better. STRANGERS coming up to you and without introducing themselves, making a little small talk and just POINT BLANK asking you (intrusively, I might add) 'is that a gun/mag/clip/holy hand-grenade?' are not worth talking to.

$.02

Sure is a lot of negativity there - but at least you are consistent. As I recall, you do NOT personally OC or have you come out of the closet?

To others, put your Brittanica away and answer their questions pleasantly and directly.

OC generates many opportunities to interact with the public and thereby educate others - how that goes depends largely on how you conduct yourself. I welcome such questions.. A snarky attitude will gain nothing positive. We need to handle such small events in our lives with aplomb.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I think the point Curtis was making was that it was a CC story, not OC and probably shouldn't be on an OPEN CARRY BOARD.

It's a little like going on a hunting Board and talking about the great perks you got when you joined PETA.

BUT, I've about given up on anyone North of Ashland understanding that.

Hey now, I understand and I am well north of Ashland. I open carry everywhere and I relish the opportunity to hand out a OC or VCDL card. You never know who might be interested and they just need that little push to get involved. Of course you can keep it to yourself, but that helps no one.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hey now, I understand and I am well north of Ashland. I open carry everywhere and I relish the opportunity to hand out a OC or VCDL card. You never know who might be interested and they just need that little push to get involved. Of course you can keep it to yourself, but that helps no one.

It's a general phrase SD....Te quote I usually use for Proshootrer is:

:lol:
It ain't the real estate, it's the person. North of Ashland is a little like OZ.

Not to be a smart ass Pete, but wasn't he CC/OCing :^)?

Yes Nep, he was. I have an identity problem. We come to the OC board to talk about OC because our CC was showing.:banghead:
I don't talk about it when a small handgun accidentally falls in my pocket.:uhoh:

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
No offense taken :D

Even Zeus thinks I've been a little cranky this week:lol:

sleep1.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have never seen you with a small handgun. When pray tell, could that possibly happen. Then again a full sized 9mm might be your small handgun...LOL:lol:

Well, that just goes to show I do have...er..had secrets. I have a NAM mini derringer and an American Derringer 45/410...sorta rechambered to 444:uhoh:

Last edited:

riverrat10k

snip STRANGERS coming up to you and without introducing themselves, making a little small talk and just POINT BLANK asking you (intrusively, I might add) 'is that a gun/mag/clip/holy hand-grenade?' are not worth talking to.

$.02

I agree with you here. After any such "introduction" one might intoduce oneself and ask the inquirer their name and reason for the question.

riverrat10k

snip

Not all of us carry so that every momement of our lives, others may ask why we do so. It does not bother me that you and others consider themselves amassadors to open carry and want to educate inquiring minds as to why open carry. Just as it should not bother you if at that particular moment I would prefer to not talk to somebody expecially while I'm in the middle of something else. I'll be honost, if I saw someone sitting down having lunch with someone else, deep in conversation I would not walk up to them and just to ask them if they were carrying a Gun, Magazine, Knife, or IPHONE 5. Do I not have the right to choose when I want to be left alone?

Agree. Some days I am unfailing polite, on others, I could give a damn. Should I look into medication?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Sure is a lot of negativity there - but at least you are consistent. As I recall, you do NOT personally OC or have you come out of the closet?

To others, put your Brittanica away and answer their questions pleasantly and directly.

OC generates many opportunities to interact with the public and thereby educate others - how that goes depends largely on how you conduct yourself. I welcome such questions.. A snarky attitude will gain nothing positive. We need to handle such small events in our lives with aplomb.

I don't disagree with your last statement, however, apparently our life experiences have been different. I've been assaulted, threatened, falsely accused of things and generally as a law-abiding citizen had several uncalled for encounters with LEOs.

I'm very private and do not like strangers coming up and demanding information from me. As a counterpoint an old vet engaged me in conversation at the grocery store and we had a very pleasant encounter.

I don't know why YOU as a moderator find it necessary to dog me and to remind members whether I OC or not. I can still have an OPINION and I try to make erudite and cogent comments. If you find I do not, then ask me to leave OCDO and I will comply.

AND, it seems that not everyone disagrees with me.
I'll be honost, if I saw someone sitting down having lunch with someone else, deep in conversation I would not walk up to them and just to ask them if they were carrying a Gun, Magazine, Knife, or IPHONE 5. Do I not have the right to choose when I want to be left alone?

...and

I agree with you here.