• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it a weapon if it fires blanks?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have been following the story of LA swat teams "Big weapon theft" online at police one. Today they said they have arrested two suspects. It starts out saying, "Not really Guns folks, they only fire blanks", on the other hand two guys get arrested for possession of "machine guns". Laws are different all over, so, help me understand this please.

Badger Johnson

In some cases and some jurisdictions a blank firing pistol is considered a weapon. If it's used to holdup a bank? If it's brandished?

So you'll need to be very specific. (Ain't weapons laws great? You need a portable lawyer to decipher them even if you know them).

mjones

I have been following the story of LA swat teams "Big weapon theft" online at police one. Today they said they have arrested two suspects. It starts out saying, "Not really Guns folks, they only fire blanks", on the other hand two guys get arrested for possession of "machine guns". Laws are different all over, so, help me understand this please.

Here's a related article to the particular case you are referring to:
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011...nection-with-swat-training-facility-burglary/

My understanding is that the 'assault weapon' charges actually have nothing todo with the burglary.

In CA there are crimes for 'imitation firearms' (12550+ , 417.4, 171.5+) plus lots of municipal code violations.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Blanks can and do kill people. They don't fire a solid projectile, but a lot of fast moving hot gasses emerge from the muzzle. Some people have been foolish enough to put guns to their temples and fire a blank, and have died.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Most states do not differentiate between items that fire a metallic projectile and items that merely cause the realease of gasses under pressure. Actually that is said backwards - most states changed their defintion of a firearm to include blank-firing devices as firearms.

The California AG goes into detail here http://www.scribd.com/doc/266160/Opinion-of-the-California-Attorney-General-981004 about how a "firearm" is defined under California law. Since the items stolen expelled a projectile (simunition pellet) they are defined as being firearms. Regarding your question of blank-firing devices -- my guess is that a prosecutor would posit, if blank-firing items were not specifically defined as being a firearm, that a blank ejects a projectile (the wad) and therefore meets the definition of a firearm.

Heads you lose, tails you lose.

My advice regarding California? Get away from there!

stay safe.

Decoligny

In some cases and some jurisdictions a blank firing pistol is considered a weapon. If it's used to holdup a bank? If it's brandished?

So you'll need to be very specific. (Ain't weapons laws great? You need a portable lawyer to decipher them even if you know them).

If you have a wooden dowel in your pocket and claim that it is a gun during a robbery, you will be charged with "ARMED robbery" just as if you had a real gun.

With a blank pistol, the deception is even more realistic, so no problem at all in it being considered a weapon if used in an illegal activity.