Thread: I moved to a different county. do I need a new CHP?

I moved to a different county. do I need a new CHP?

I moved from one county to another, do I need to apply for a new Concealed Handgun Permit permit in the new county or just wait until it almost expires and then apply in the new county?

Just want to make sure mine is still valid since it doesnt have my current address on it.

From VA State Police Website

"The address on my Resident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
    Yes, but you may request a replacement permit if you wish. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address."

"The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit."
    Last edited by thebigsd; 11-03-2011 at 08:29 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Its valid throughout the state until it expires. You can change the addy if you want but its not required.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I would just call ahead and ask the clerk what is sufficient proof of address change. Might have to bring a current utility bill, rental statement or mortgage payment. You don't want to get all the way over there and say "I've moved' and have them say 'five forms of ID and the deed to your house please'.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

thanks guys !!

My permit expires in august 2012. I'll renew it before it expires, but when is the soonest I can go to renew it?

Quote Originally Posted by VaGunTrader View Post
    thanks guys !!

My permit expires in august 2012. I'll renew it before it expires, but when is the soonest I can go to renew it?
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...#PermitRenewal

If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.

Fingerprint impressions are not required for the renewal of an existing permit pursuant to 15.2-915.3.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Again from the VA State Police website.

"Persons who previously have held a Virginia resident permit shall be issued, upon application, a new five-year permit unless there is good cause shown for refusing to reissue a permit. The same fees and time constraints apply in the instance of renewal. Persons who previously have been issued a concealed handgun permit are not required to appear in person to apply for a new five-year permit; the application for the new permit may be submitted via the United States mail. The circuit court that receives the application shall promptly notify the applicant if the application is incomplete or if the fee submitted is incorrect.

If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.

Fingerprint impressions are not required for the renewal of an existing permit pursuant to 15.2-915.3.

If a permit holder is a member of the Virginia National Guard, Armed Forces of the United States, or the Armed Forces reserves of the United States, and his five-year permit expires during an active-duty military deployment outside of the permittee's county or city of residence, such permit shall remain valid for 90 days after the end date of the deployment. In order to establish proof of continued validity of the permit, such a permittee shall carry with him and display, upon request of a law-enforcement officer, a copy of the permittee's deployment orders or other documentation from the permittee's commanding officer that order the permittee to travel outside of his county or city of residence and that indicate the start and end date of such deployment."

Edit: Man, I swear the VA forum has the fastest response time.....
    Last edited by thebigsd; 11-03-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    ty of residence and that indicate the start and end date of such deployment."

Edit: Man, I swear the VA forum has the fastest response time.....
    Nothing else going on.....
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Nothing else going on.....
    Think it is more likely because there are so many knowledgeable and dedicated activists here.

The more there is to do, the more people step forward to lend a hand. Virginia gets it done!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The more there is to do, the more people step forward to lend a hand. Virginia gets it done!
    If only that were true in Floriduh...

You guys don't know how good you've got it...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Why in the world is the fingerprinting authorization in the Code of Virginia TWICE? It's bad enough to be in there ONCE!!

TFred

15.2-915.3

18.2-308 D (Gotta scroll down a lot)

ETA: Ha ha, maybe that's how we can get rid of it... sponsor one removal in the House, and the other in the Senate... Present both as just a technical re-write to remove the duplicate!
    Last edited by TFred; 11-03-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    If only that were true in Floriduh...

You guys don't know how good you've got it...
    I am grateful for it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    ...snip....

ETA: Ha ha, maybe that's how we can get rid of it... sponsor one removal in the House, and the other in the Senate... Present both as just a technical re-write to remove the duplicate!
    You have a devious mind.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Why in the world is the fingerprinting authorization in the Code of Virginia TWICE? It's bad enough to be in there ONCE!!

TFred

15.2-915.3

18.2-308 D (Gotta scroll down a lot)

IANAL but 15.2 is the location local governments follow as far as what they can or cannot do in regards to ordinances. Sections of the law such as 18.2-308 D that give local jurisdictions the parameters to enact ordinances are duplicated there.

John

I'm in the same boat as VAGT since I just moved from Arlington to Alexandria. I just sent an email to the Arlington clerk to see what they need me to bring to get an address change. It shouldn't be that hard since I'm just a quick metro ride away from the court house. If someone moved across the state that could be an issue.

Why don't we all just follow what it says in the law? It's fairly simple, and anything extra cannot be required of you.

TFred

K1. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The clerk of court shall forward the permit holder's new address of residence to the State Police. The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5, and the clerk of court issuing the replacement permit may charge a fee not to exceed $5. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit pursuant to this subsection shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.