• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I moved to a different county. do I need a new CHP?

VaGunTrader

I moved from one county to another, do I need to apply for a new Concealed Handgun Permit permit in the new county or just wait until it almost expires and then apply in the new county?

Just want to make sure mine is still valid since it doesnt have my current address on it.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
From VA State Police Website

"The address on my Resident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
Yes, but you may request a replacement permit if you wish. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address."

"The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit."

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I would just call ahead and ask the clerk what is sufficient proof of address change. Might have to bring a current utility bill, rental statement or mortgage payment. You don't want to get all the way over there and say "I've moved' and have them say 'five forms of ID and the deed to your house please'. :)

ocholsteroc

thanks guys !!

My permit expires in august 2012. I'll renew it before it expires, but when is the soonest I can go to renew it?

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#PermitRenewal

If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.

Fingerprint impressions are not required for the renewal of an existing permit pursuant to §15.2-915.3.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Again from the VA State Police website.

"Persons who previously have held a Virginia resident permit shall be issued, upon application, a new five-year permit unless there is good cause shown for refusing to reissue a permit. The same fees and time constraints apply in the instance of renewal. Persons who previously have been issued a concealed handgun permit are not required to appear in person to apply for a new five-year permit; the application for the new permit may be submitted via the United States mail. The circuit court that receives the application shall promptly notify the applicant if the application is incomplete or if the fee submitted is incorrect.

If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.

Fingerprint impressions are not required for the renewal of an existing permit pursuant to §15.2-915.3.

If a permit holder is a member of the Virginia National Guard, Armed Forces of the United States, or the Armed Forces reserves of the United States, and his five-year permit expires during an active-duty military deployment outside of the permittee's county or city of residence, such permit shall remain valid for 90 days after the end date of the deployment. In order to establish proof of continued validity of the permit, such a permittee shall carry with him and display, upon request of a law-enforcement officer, a copy of the permittee's deployment orders or other documentation from the permittee's commanding officer that order the permittee to travel outside of his county or city of residence and that indicate the start and end date of such deployment."

Edit: Man, I swear the VA forum has the fastest response time.....

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nothing else going on..... :)

Think it is more likely because there are so many knowledgeable and dedicated activists here.

The more there is to do, the more people step forward to lend a hand. Virginia gets it done!

TFred

Why in the world is the fingerprinting authorization in the Code of Virginia TWICE? It's bad enough to be in there ONCE!!

TFred

15.2-915.3

18.2-308 D (Gotta scroll down a lot)

ETA: Ha ha, maybe that's how we can get rid of it... sponsor one removal in the House, and the other in the Senate... Present both as just a technical re-write to remove the duplicate! ;)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If only that were true in Floriduh...

You guys don't know how good you've got it...

I am grateful for it every day.

...snip....

ETA: Ha ha, maybe that's how we can get rid of it... sponsor one removal in the House, and the other in the Senate... Present both as just a technical re-write to remove the duplicate! ;)

You have a devious mind.:cool:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Why in the world is the fingerprinting authorization in the Code of Virginia TWICE? It's bad enough to be in there ONCE!!

TFred

15.2-915.3

18.2-308 D (Gotta scroll down a lot)

IANAL but 15.2 is the location local governments follow as far as what they can or cannot do in regards to ordinances. Sections of the law such as 18.2-308 D that give local jurisdictions the parameters to enact ordinances are duplicated there.

John

babarsac

I'm in the same boat as VAGT since I just moved from Arlington to Alexandria. I just sent an email to the Arlington clerk to see what they need me to bring to get an address change. It shouldn't be that hard since I'm just a quick metro ride away from the court house. If someone moved across the state that could be an issue.

TFred

Why don't we all just follow what it says in the law? It's fairly simple, and anything extra cannot be required of you.

TFred

K1. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The clerk of court shall forward the permit holder's new address of residence to the State Police. The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5, and the clerk of court issuing the replacement permit may charge a fee not to exceed $5. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit pursuant to this subsection shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.