• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Little frustrated with my local range officer

FMCDH

I was thinking the same thing. How can it be unsafe in the holster, but fine to walk around with it in your hand?

This is the same illogical idiocy that made that tattoo shop owner a while back force his customer to remove his pistol from its holster and unload it before he would work on him, the un-necessary handling of which resulted in a ND into the floor.

Frankly, if I had a RO tell me to remove a perfectly safe holstered firearm and carry it instead, I would have turned around right there and left. If they are intentionally going to be that kind of stupid to put up some kind facade of "safety rules" that in fact makes everyone less safe, I have no wish to shoot in such an environment. Who knows what other kind of unsafe stupidity they have going on.

The more I hear about other ranges, the more I appreciate SSNW and Sam's. Both allow CC, OC and carry on, AND to the line. And as long as you can show your safe doing it, even drawing from the holster (SSNW only) and rapid fire.

The only seriously unsafe act I have had an RO do at SSNW was to touch me on the shoulder from behind while I was actively engaged in shooting, just to ask me a question. :mad: I gave him an ear full for that stunt.

Last edited:

amlevin

Probably Shooting Sports Nortwest. They're near Sams. I'd go there but they don't allow steel cased ammo. Bad for the environment and your gun was the excuse I was given. Uh-huh.

They're just too lazy to separate the steel from the brass that they sell to the recycler. To do that they'd have to spend a couple bucks on a magnet.

FMCDH

Probably Shooting Sports Nortwest. They're near Sams. I'd go there but they don't allow steel cased ammo. Bad for the environment and your gun was the excuse I was given. Uh-huh.

Steel and aluminum they don't allow. They are not quite as draconian about the steel stuff as they are the aluminum. It doesn't surprise me that you were given such a BS line however.

They do that because they collect and reload, then resell the brass under their sister company name, Match Grade Industries. I don't buy ammo from them, as they are normally asking a huge marked up price for their ammo, and they ask full retail for their reloads. They make good money on that brass, so they want to keep it rolling in.

I collect most of my brass now.

MadHatter66

What will you do when the County "closes it" and you can't shoot there any more.

That's what has happened here in Snohomish County. One by one, no shooting signs everywhere.

Its actually private proerty owned by Pope and they allow people to recreate there, which includes shooting at the pits on the property, there are no shooting prohibitions that I can find in the county code... There are plenty of clear cut areas out there in Jefferson county to go shoot at anyway :D

MKEgal

MadHatter66 said:
He stood over me for about 30min on the rifle range one afternoon while I was shooting my .17HMR yelling at me about having my finger on the trigger... WHILE I WAS ON TARGET and actively firing.
Lucky you were the only one there... since he wasn't doing his job of watching over the range.
:mad:

amlevin said:
Don't get too uptight over the "briefing" it only takes a couple minutes and you can get on with your shooting.
Sounds like this briefing was anything but brief, & strayed considerably from safety matters.

Trigger Dr said:
all the RSO were given a course on orienting non membes, and members shooting for the first time. This has been in effect for about 2 weeks. I would presume the RSO was a bit confused about what to say.
Since the OP said he'd shot there before, he didn't need more than the basics.
The whole bit about "what are you shooting" was unnecessary.

One of these days I'll run into someone like that & have the dubious pleasure of reminding her/him what a range safety briefing does & does not contain. (RSO myself. And instructor.)

FMCDH

How so? If there is a way I can shoot Silver Bear in 5.45 I might check them out.

What I mean by that, is if they catch you shooting steel cased ammunition, they will likely just ask you to stop, or not use it next time. If they catch you with the aluminum stuff, they are likely to throw a fit about it on the spot and may kick you out. (seen it happen)

The reason for the dichotomy probably has something to do with steel being easy to separate from the brass, and is still re-loadable, while aluminum has to be hand picked and inspected from the brass, and is not.