• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new guy

Junior Lee Campbell

hey everyone. Just turned 21 at the beginning of October and purchased my first handgun. a XD .40 service model. I had a quick question about open carry. Would it be legal to open carry to a turkey shoot or fishing tournament? I didnt know since you had to technically pay to shoot at a turkey shoot and to enter a tournament if that would be against the law of "any place that you have to pay admission" thanks. and cant wait to open carry

tim12232

I am racking my brain on this! I remember reading on here just a couple of weeks ago something very similar to this. Is it a true admission fee? Someone here will chime in soon im sure, but until then, Welcome to Open Carry, my first HG when I was 21 was a service XD.40. Cool forum, ask lots of questions, and dont be a newb!:banana::monkey

Tim

Junior Lee Campbell

I am racking my brain on this! I remember reading on here just a couple of weeks ago something very similar to this. Is it a true admission fee? Someone here will chime in soon im sure, but until then, Welcome to Open Carry, my first HG when I was 21 was a service XD.40. Cool forum, ask lots of questions, and dont be a newb!:banana::monkey

Tim

lol il try and not be a newb. the only admission i was thinking was in order to actually shoot at the event u had to pay for a "target" which is like 2 or 3 bucks a shot. and the fishing tournament is just entry fee to fish but its all outside at a local volunteer FD and at a wildlife boat ramp

aosailor

lol il try and not be a newb. the only admission i was thinking was in order to actually shoot at the event u had to pay for a "target" which is like 2 or 3 bucks a shot. and the fishing tournament is just entry fee to fish but its all outside at a local volunteer FD and at a wildlife boat ramp

so technically you arent paying to shoot, you are "buying targets" to shoot at? nothing illegal there. though depending how organised this shoot is, if you plan on participating, the range officer may not let you on the line with a loaded firearm that you cant use in the match, let alone down range to check targets (I'd let you shoot, but no way in heck I'd let a loaded firearm down a cleared range.).... as for fishing I think you could argue that your entry fee is "permission" to participate not really admission. Though whoever is in charge can tell you yea or nay irrelevant to what law says.

Last edited:

REDFIVE48

Loaded guns are against Wildlife Regs at Wildlife boat ramps, so stay away from the ramp or unload before entering that area.

smlawrence

I OC at the turkey shoot that I go to. I talked to the volunteers that run it and since it was on private property and just to be respectful, I asked them if they would have a problem with it. They told me as long as it wasn't chambered they wouldn't have a problem with it. I think what helped is the fact that I told them that I didn't feel the gun would be safe locked in my truck which was sitting in a very dark parking lot and I wouldn't want the wrong person breaking into my truck and stealing my firearm to possibly cause harm to someone.