• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Senate 17 Debate: Houck/Reeves

TFred

I was very regrettably unable to attend in person this evening's debate between Edd Houck (7 time incumbent Democrat) and Bryce Reeves (Republican challenger).

Fortunately, one of the reporters from the Free Lance-Star tweeted faithfully from the room. Early in the debate, guns on campus came up. Here are the tweets on that portion of the debate:

• Q from Hammerstrom (moderator): to Reeves: Guns on campuses question- how would you vote on guns on campus matter (in brief)
  • Reeves: talks of military/law enforcement experience- I'm for carrying firearms provided that the correct training, licensing is there
  • Houck: wants Reeves to clarify answer- on college campuses? Reeves: yes
  • Houck: not in favor of concealed carry on college campuses
  • Reeves response: it's a second amendment right. we need to adhere to the constitution...
It should be noted that Houck, the incumbent, enjoys the endorsement of the NRA. Duct tape available at your local Walmart and many other fine stores.

TFred

AtackDuck

This steams me!

That the NRA endorses this anti is typical of the NRA and why they no longer get any funds from me.

Houck has let Saslaw and his minions run the senate as their own little fiefdom, making up rules as they go and ignoring centuries of procedural precedence. He has enabled the anti's and voted against our right of self defense. Now the NRA endorses this asshat?

Marco

Reeves

That the NRA endorses this anti (Houck) is typical of the NRA and is one of the reasons why they no longer get any funds from me.

I've meet Reeves a couple of times, at each event he was packing, OC none the less.
The first time I believe he was carrying a S&W 642 and the last time he had a G19.
He's not much of a shot with either weapon but a nice guy.

Last edited:

Repeater

More here:

HOUCK, REEVES FACE OFF page 3
The candidates also differed on whether people on college campuses should be allowed to carry guns.

Reeves said he has a concealed-carry permit and is in favor of allowing guns on campus. Houck said he opposes that, and supports the current law allowing colleges to make their own rules on the issue.

Yet, Houck also said this, concerning abortion:
Houck came out firmly in favor of abortion.

"I trust women to make their own healthcare deicisons," said Houck, who said abortion rights were settled laws.

Too bad you can't say this about Edd:
Houck came out firmly in favor of guns.

"I trust women to make their own self-defense decisons," said Houck, who said gun rights were settled laws.

Repeater

That the NRA endorses this anti (Houck) is typical of the NRA and is one of the reasons why they no longer get any funds from me.

I've meet Reeves a couple of times, at each event he was packing, OC none the less.
The first time I believe he was carrying a S&W 642 and the last time he had a G19.
He's not much of a shot with either weapon but a nice guy.

Check this out over at Va. Gun Forum. Note the NRA rationale for supporting the incumbent.

AtackDuck

Check this out over at Va. Gun Forum. Note the NRA rationale for supporting the incumbent.

As usual the NRA has on blinders. They refuse to see the damage Houck has done by constantly voting Dick Saslaw in as head of the senate. Saslaw sends any gun legislation he (or his cronies) doesn't like to one of his sub-committees to kill the bill. This by the way, is against the senate rules, but it doesn't bother Saslaw or Houck. Houck passes the minor gun bills and uses the sub-committee as a screeen for his anti-gun votes.

The NRA needs to stay out of state & local politics.

TFred

As usual the NRA has on blinders. They refuse to see the damage Houck has done by constantly voting Dick Saslaw in as head of the senate. Saslaw sends any gun legislation he (or his cronies) doesn't like to one of his sub-committees to kill the bill. This by the way, is against the senate rules, but it doesn't bother Saslaw or Houck. Houck passes the minor gun bills and uses the sub-committee as a screeen for his anti-gun votes.

The NRA needs to stay out of state & local politics.
They are very good at what they choose to do well... They just need to choose to do well more often! And that means scoring votes for confirmations and for leadership positions as well.

The simple fact is that Saslaw and Marsh are two big concrete anchors shackled to Houck's ankles. The NRA just chooses to not look.

TFred

TFred

I just sent in my two cents to the NRA ILA e-mail address. I'm not going to hold my breath, but incumbent or not, it astounds me that they would endorse a man who went out of his way to clarify that he is different from his opponent in his absolute opposition to any carry on a college campus.

I would LOVE to see the media attention of a last-minute endorsement change, but I'm not holding my breath that the NRA will have the guts to do it.

TFred

Repeater

VSSA comments on the result

They are very good at what they choose to do well... They just need to choose to do well more often! And that means scoring votes for confirmations and for leadership positions as well.

The simple fact is that Saslaw and Marsh are two big concrete anchors shackled to Houck's ankles. The NRA just chooses to not look.

TFred

This commentary form the VSSA is ironic:

Virginia Senate Majority Hangs in the Balance
The balance of power in the Virginia Senate hinges on one district this morning - the 17th District race between Bryce Reeves and incumbent Edd Houck. Reeves holds a razor thin 86 vote edge with an unknown amount of provisional ballots still to be counted. Reeves declared victory when all of the precincts reported their count but Houck is not conceding anything yet. There will be a canvasing of the returns this morning

Republicans needed to win just two seats to gain parity with Democrats that would effectively shift control with the help of Republican Lt. Governor Bill Bolling, who can cast tie breaking votes, including organizing the chamber when it convenes in January.

What does this mean for gun owners?

What's funny is Sailorcurt's comment:
And you don't see the irony in the fact that your organization endorsed Houck?

Would the race have been so close had you not been so short-sighted?

There should be more to endorsements than a raw look at voting records.

Houck supports releasing the names of CHL holders and opposes the right of CHL holders to defend themselves on college campuses.

If that's not enough, if he retains his seat after the inevitable recount, you just contributed to another term of obstructionists in the Senate stacking committees to kill pro-gun bills, preventing them from getting a floor vote.

Good Job.

You guys do a lot of good work and overall, I think you are a positive for Virginia Gun Owners, but on this one, you really screwed the pooch. IMHO

TFred

This commentary form the VSSA is ironic:

Virginia Senate Majority Hangs in the Balance

What's funny is Sailorcurt's comment:
Especially ironic since the most important part of the article was about the committees and their leaders, which apparently the organization ignored during the endorsement decision.

Also ironic:

"with the help of Republican Lt. Governor Bill Bolling, who can cast tie breaking votes, including organizing the chamber when it convenes in January."

Apparently these are the only folks who know "how it is", since everyone else seems to be scrambling to find a rule or a law or even past history to guide them in how to handle an evenly divided Senate.

TFred

Repeater

What Reeves says about the Second Amendment

I wonder if this cost Bryce some pro-gun votes:
I believe in our right to legally and safely bear arms and will defend the Constitution's Second Amendment from being watered down or infringed upon by any legislation or bureaucracy.

First, "I believe in" is not equivalent to "I support and defend" -- but second, he does not say "keep and bear arms" -- he drops "keep" and says only "legally and safely bear arms ..."

That's a pet peeve of mine. It's imperative to defend both the right to keep and to bear arms. One without the other leaves you impotent. Not good.

TFred

I wonder if this cost Bryce some pro-gun votes:

I believe in our right to legally and safely bear arms and will defend the Constitution's Second Amendment from being watered down or infringed upon by any legislation or bureaucracy.
First, "I believe in" is not equivalent to "I support and defend" -- but second, he does not say "keep and bear arms" -- he drops "keep" and says only "legally and safely bear arms ..."

That's a pet peeve of mine. It's imperative to defend both the right to keep and to bear arms. One without the other leaves you impotent. Not good.
I seriously doubt it. Reeves doesn't seem to have the eloquence of a Newt Gingrich, but Houck wouldn't come within a mile of such an unequivocal statement of support like that *. Case in point, Houck practically choked on his own saliva when he thought he "caught" Reeves in a "gaffe" stating during a debate that he supported guns on campus.

The sad irony is that the NRA endorsement of Houck says volumes more about the NRA than it does about Houck.

TFred

* ETA: Try finding anything pro-gun on Houck's website.

Last edited: