Thread: Winter OC attire?!

Winter OC attire?!

Hello All! : )

Just another inquiry regarding OC elements that have not until recently come into play. I have only really been OC since the beginning of this spring. As such my typical clothing has been medium to light thickness. During the winter here I typically layer if working outside and other activities. Typically my jackets are of such length that it is not conducive to OC as it has a tendency to drape over or have to been uncomfortably bunched behind my piece. I have recently applied for my CHP to allow for versatility. But being the solid ambassador that I try to be, I prefer to OC whenever possible. I would just like some input regarding what many of you wear that is good for OC when having to stay outside for extended periods of time. I do carry a glock with a round chambered and obviously no thumb safety so many of those fleece sweaters with the bungee cords could cause an AD. I hope this doesn't seem like a B.S. question. Although it may seem simple enough, I am having the hardest time finding outerwear that fits comfortably tucked behind my firearm. As always, thank you for your time, thought, and input.

P.S. I'm doing my first VCDL volunteer work at the Norfolk gun show this weekend. Hope to see some of you there.
    "Yes, I am carrying a loaded firearm. Why aren't you? "

get a drop holster so it hangs below your coats/jackets.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    If you're worried about an AD with some types of sweaters, you may be using the wrong type of holster for all normal use. Your holster should cover your trigger guard or at least the trigger area itself. If it doesn't consider a different holster.

As for cold weather clothing, I don't own any coats as I prefer jackets by far for a number of reasons. And I have perhaps a half dozen jackets that are waist length so those are the ones I go to for OC'ing in the colder weather. They are easy for this practice and cause no problems. The only real concern is to use a holster that clears the body a little (not one that is designed for snug for concealed only carry). In that way, your jacket bottom will not bunch up much or any.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Buy a jacket or two with side zippers - they're available from various sources and not all look like you're a wanna be.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=554975

Or have side zippers installed in your existing jackets - cheap enough I believe..
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I wear a short leather jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan7068 View Post
    I would just like some input regarding what many of you wear that is good for OC when having to stay outside for extended periods of time.
    I prefer this style for everyday wear, and I could see it being good as OC-capable too.

http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-Sawy...efault,pd.html

Leg holster. So far I havn't used mine this year. One I never liked it for a Glock I can get my finger down there and pull the trigger. It's safe if you don't do that but I don't trust it loaded. This year I wear more shirts, white t shirt, my regular t shirts, sweater + hoodie + wool hat/gloves/scarf. Though I image when it gets 20's I will put the leather jacket on.

Last year I was just wearing a t shirt and leather jacket + leg holster.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 11-04-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

For those that do not want zippers installed, you can get just about any local tailor/alterations shop to cut the seam on your carry side and install either a button (really old school) or a snap at the bottom to close it up when you are not carrying. You don't even need tp tell them what it's for (although most will be able to guess) - just tell them how high up to open the seam, and ask them to bar-tack or put a triangle stop at the top of the cut.

For folks that like coats (as in overcoats) you can consider having the appropriate pocket or side seam altered to create a "hole" large enough for your regular holster to be pulled through. This option does work better with an offset holster such as is commonly sold for police/security duty.

Or you can go with a nice belt long enough to go around the outside of whatever garment you are going to be wearing. This is OK as long as you are not going to be taking off/putting on your jacket/coat.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    --snip--

Or you can go with a nice belt long enough to go around the outside of whatever garment you are going to be wearing. This is OK as long as you are not going to be taking off/putting on your jacket/coat.

stay safe.
    Sam Brown belt and lanyard are optional dress accoutrements for this ensemble.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Sam Brown belt and lanyard are optional dress accoutrements for this ensemble.
    In that case, I guess I need another gun. Gotta get an old 1911 with lanyard loop on the mainspring housing. I know the 92 (Beretta) has a lanyard loop, but I just can't bring myself to carrying a 9 again... Its just too darn ugly.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

If you are going to go with a Sam Browne belt and lanyard, might I suggest either a Model 1917 in .45ACP or a Webly in .455? Or better yet, a Webley-Fosberry. Either way, one should have the flapped holster that puts the butt forward (reversed).

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I see no reason to be using a lanyard loop, unless you are in combat, if you drop it, and it follows you with the cord. Cops don't use landyards... Maybe if you are doing mexican carry (a gun with a safety of course...) so if you do drop it, it cannot fall down/get lost.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Long-johns with a sweater, if needed a Navy pee-coat with snaps. Some of the new thermal garments I'm told are lighter and better than long-johns.

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    I see no reason to be using a lanyard loop, unless you are in combat, if you drop it, and it follows you with the cord. Cops don't use landyards... Maybe if you are doing mexican carry (a gun with a safety of course...) so if you do drop it, it cannot fall down/get lost.
    Style, man, style!

Just be glad we do not insist on saber chains - which would bring up confusion about over which shoulder the strap goes, even if you are not wearing the saber.

(Seriously, am I the only one who ever read the FM on Dress and Ceremonies"?)

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Get a forehead holster. It avoids morons putting emphasis of the word "hip" when you carry like a sane person...

Since when did 'hip' become such a bad word?
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Lanyards are a good thing to have if you ever spend any time out on the water.

I like the idea of a drop leg holster. I will consider one of those for myself and my Glock...

Quote Originally Posted by gm2max View Post
    I like the idea of a drop leg holster. I will consider one of those for myself and my Glock...
    Speaking of the evil drop leg, I just picked one up at the Dale City gun show. I am going to use it for my Springfield XD45, just haven't decided under what circumstances I will use it. If I never use it, well it only cost me ten bucks.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 11-06-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Drop Kits!

Thanks again folks for all the info. I have two drop kits for my main holsters on the way and have evaluated each of my outer garments for modification. Good Call!

Cool it's still fall

Quote Originally Posted by ryan7068 View Post

During the winter here .
    What is the Winter that you are speaking of?

Temps are still in the 30's and snow, well there isn't any yet.
    Normal attire until temps dip below 20 and/or snow is above my waist.

Shorts and sandals, maybe a sweatshirt.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Early outdoor construction!

Well when I work outside at six in the morning, 42 degrees seems cold enough to start thinking about a jacket to me. However, I sometimes resort to just a speedo !

I did manage to fall overboard a couple times while doing boardings in the Coast Guard. I was lucky I didn't lose my pistol in the process. I just got to clean my pistol (and everything else I carried on my "bat belt").

We didn't use lanyard loops in the CG. I saw a few weapons go over the side over the years; all of which happened in deep water and were "unrecoverable". I never had any use for one. After losing an M-60 overboard during the 91 Gulf War, we fashioned a "lanyard" of sorts to keep from losing another one (and prevent the DAYS of paperwork that followed).
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Are you sure that pig went over the side accidentally?

Sure, firepower is better than no firepower, but there are ways and means of providing it that are just plain better.

And I hope the bungie cord was secured to the boat and not some poor ABS.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit