• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winter OC attire?!

ryan7068

Hello All! : )

Just another inquiry regarding OC elements that have not until recently come into play. I have only really been OC since the beginning of this spring. As such my typical clothing has been medium to light thickness. During the winter here I typically layer if working outside and other activities. Typically my jackets are of such length that it is not conducive to OC as it has a tendency to drape over or have to been uncomfortably bunched behind my piece. I have recently applied for my CHP to allow for versatility. But being the solid ambassador that I try to be, I prefer to OC whenever possible. I would just like some input regarding what many of you wear that is good for OC when having to stay outside for extended periods of time. I do carry a glock with a round chambered and obviously no thumb safety so many of those fleece sweaters with the bungee cords could cause an AD. I hope this doesn't seem like a B.S. question. Although it may seem simple enough, I am having the hardest time finding outerwear that fits comfortably tucked behind my firearm. As always, thank you for your time, thought, and input.

P.S. I'm doing my first VCDL volunteer work at the Norfolk gun show this weekend. Hope to see some of you there.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
If you're worried about an AD with some types of sweaters, you may be using the wrong type of holster for all normal use. Your holster should cover your trigger guard or at least the trigger area itself. If it doesn't consider a different holster.

As for cold weather clothing, I don't own any coats as I prefer jackets by far for a number of reasons. And I have perhaps a half dozen jackets that are waist length so those are the ones I go to for OC'ing in the colder weather. They are easy for this practice and cause no problems. The only real concern is to use a holster that clears the body a little (not one that is designed for snug for concealed only carry). In that way, your jacket bottom will not bunch up much or any.

ocholsteroc

Leg holster. So far I havn't used mine this year. One I never liked it for a Glock I can get my finger down there and pull the trigger. It's safe if you don't do that but I don't trust it loaded. This year I wear more shirts, white t shirt, my regular t shirts, sweater + hoodie + wool hat/gloves/scarf. Though I image when it gets 20's I will put the leather jacket on.

Last year I was just wearing a t shirt and leather jacket + leg holster.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
For those that do not want zippers installed, you can get just about any local tailor/alterations shop to cut the seam on your carry side and install either a button (really old school) or a snap at the bottom to close it up when you are not carrying. You don't even need tp tell them what it's for (although most will be able to guess) - just tell them how high up to open the seam, and ask them to bar-tack or put a triangle stop at the top of the cut.

For folks that like coats (as in overcoats) you can consider having the appropriate pocket or side seam altered to create a "hole" large enough for your regular holster to be pulled through. This option does work better with an offset holster such as is commonly sold for police/security duty.

Or you can go with a nice belt long enough to go around the outside of whatever garment you are going to be wearing. This is OK as long as you are not going to be taking off/putting on your jacket/coat.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

Or you can go with a nice belt long enough to go around the outside of whatever garment you are going to be wearing. This is OK as long as you are not going to be taking off/putting on your jacket/coat.

stay safe.

Sam Brown belt and lanyard are optional dress accoutrements for this ensemble. :D

MSC 45ACP

Sam Brown belt and lanyard are optional dress accoutrements for this ensemble. :D

In that case, I guess I need another gun. Gotta get an old 1911 with lanyard loop on the mainspring housing. I know the 92 (Beretta) has a lanyard loop, but I just can't bring myself to carrying a 9 again... Its just too darn ugly.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you are going to go with a Sam Browne belt and lanyard, might I suggest either a Model 1917 in .45ACP or a Webly in .455? Or better yet, a Webley-Fosberry. Either way, one should have the flapped holster that puts the butt forward (reversed).

stay safe.

ocholsteroc

I see no reason to be using a lanyard loop, unless you are in combat, if you drop it, and it follows you with the cord. Cops don't use landyards... Maybe if you are doing mexican carry (a gun with a safety of course...) so if you do drop it, it cannot fall down/get lost.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I see no reason to be using a lanyard loop, unless you are in combat, if you drop it, and it follows you with the cord. Cops don't use landyards... Maybe if you are doing mexican carry (a gun with a safety of course...) so if you do drop it, it cannot fall down/get lost.

Style, man, style!

Just be glad we do not insist on saber chains - which would bring up confusion about over which shoulder the strap goes, even if you are not wearing the saber.

(Seriously, am I the only one who ever read the FM on Dress and Ceremonies"?)

stay safe.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Get a forehead holster. It avoids morons putting emphasis of the word "hip" when you carry like a sane person...

Since when did 'hip' become such a bad word?

nova

Lanyards are a good thing to have if you ever spend any time out on the water.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I like the idea of a drop leg holster. I will consider one of those for myself and my Glock...

Speaking of the evil drop leg, I just picked one up at the Dale City gun show. I am going to use it for my Springfield XD45, just haven't decided under what circumstances I will use it. If I never use it, well it only cost me ten bucks.

Last edited:

ryan7068

Drop Kits!

Thanks again folks for all the info. I have two drop kits for my main holsters on the way and have evaluated each of my outer garments for modification. Good Call!

Marco

it's still fall

Hello All! : )

During the winter here .

What is the Winter that you are speaking of? :)

Temps are still in the 30's and snow, well there isn't any yet.
Normal attire until temps dip below 20 and/or snow is above my waist.

Shorts and sandals, maybe a sweatshirt. :)