• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just moved here - couple questions

bkajun06

Hello guys and gals,

I just moved here and I'm curious on the following:

Does Louisiana allow Open Carry without a permit,

Does Louisiana honor the Peaceable Journey Law,

Does Louisiana have a Stand your Ground Law or a Duty to Retreat Law?
In other words, if someone broke into my house - could I shoot him/her since I don't know their intentions?

Just would like to know so I don't get into trouble down here ya know.

sraacke

Welcome to the site.
Be sure to update the loaction in your profile. Where are you living now? I'm just south of BR.
1-Yes, Open carry is allowed without a permit in La. This is a little known fact that La Open Carry Awareness League has worked hard to get out to the public.
2-I don't know the specifics of the Peacable Journey Law but in La you may transport your firearms in your vehicle loaded and placed anywhere you wish. There is no law requireing that they be unloaded or stored in a compartment or case. Some people use the term "extension of your home" when refering to vehicles and carry or transport of firearms or self defense.
3-If you believe your life, or another persons, to be facing grave bodily harm or death you may use resonable force to stop the threat. You can't blast away at someone breaking into your car in the driveway or fleeing from your tool shed. You can shoot if they are forcing their way into your home or trying to jack your car while you are waiting in traffic.
It's great that you want to get educated on the facts. La Open Carry Awareness League has some great info in it's forum (and soon to come on it's new webpage). Check out the info there at www.laopencarry.org.
As always, This is not legal advice and is presented for informational purposes. Do your own research and consult a lawyer.

Steve Raacke, Secretary
La Open Carry Awareness League

Last edited:

bkajun06

Welcome to the site.
Be sure to update the loaction in your profile. Where are you living now? I'm just south of BR.
1-Yes, Open carry is allowed without a permit in La. This is a little known fact that La Open Carry Awareness League has worked hard to get out to the public.
2-I don't know the specifics of the Peacable Journey Law but in La you may transport your firearms in your vehicle loaded and placed anywhere you wish. There is no law requireing that they be unloaded or stored in a compartment or case. Some people use the term "extension of your home" when refering to vehicles and carry or transport of firearms or self defense.
3-If you believe your life, or another persons, to be facing grave bodily harm or death you may use resonable force to stop the threat. You can't blast away at someone breaking into your car in the driveway or fleeing from your tool shed. You can shoot if they are forcing their way into your home or trying to jack your car while you are waiting in traffic.
It's great that you want to get educated on the facts. La Open Carry Awareness League has some great info in it's forum (and soon to come on it's new webpage). Check out the info there at www.laopencarry.org.
As always, This is not legal advice and is presented for informational purposes. Do your own research and consult a lawyer.

Steve Raacke, Secretary
La Open Carry Awareness League

Thanks Steve - and everyone else.

I'm coming from Saint Charles, MO, and I live in East Baton Rouge Parish now. Was actually raised here, but moved away due to Katrina in 2005. Glad to be back though, just wasn't familiar with the gun laws and things, thanks again.

Oh and one more thing - Loaded while in a vehicle.. That means I can have "One in the Chamber" aswell? Only reason why I ask is because some states allow it to be "Loaded" just not one in the chamber lol.

sraacke

Thanks Steve - and everyone else.

I'm coming from Saint Charles, MO, and I live in East Baton Rouge Parish now. Was actually raised here, but moved away due to Katrina in 2005. Glad to be back though, just wasn't familiar with the gun laws and things, thanks again.

Oh and one more thing - Loaded while in a vehicle.. That means I can have "One in the Chamber" aswell? Only reason why I ask is because some states allow it to be "Loaded" just not one in the chamber lol.
Yes, Loaded, one in the chamber. Carry cocked, locked and ready to rock. :)