• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Uniformed Miami PD arrested at gun point for speeding(120MPH) in patrol car

Jack House

http://jalopnik.com/5856128/cops-in-florida-ready-to-fight-each-other-over-traffic-stop

Miami Officer Fausto Lopez was pulled over in his squad car for driving 120 MPH en route to an off-duty job. Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) Trooper Donna Jane Watts pulled him over, gun drawn, and put him in handcuffs.

Snippet taken out of context for context of thread title. The article is actually about growing tensions between MPD and Florida Highway Patrol.

A war is brewing in South Florida, but don't look to the police to protect you. They're the ones who are fighting. Members of the Miami-Dade Police Department aren't taking kindly to having one of their own arrested at gunpoint by a State Trooper and now the threats and insults are flying.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I think we have this trooper to thank for outing how small minded, petty and vindictive the M-D police are.

Bad haircut? Not gonna back her up? Quasi-BOLO out on her? The guy got off light, btw. You or I would have gone to jail.

First, if she had not stopped him and merely followed and he had an accident involving deaths or serious injury, she would be under fire for not doing anything.

Second, the M-DPD has done this before (speeding excessively) but not caught.

Third, she drew her gun because, guess what, the perp was ARMED.

So good for her. Hope she gets a medal. In fact they should decorate her for heroic action in the face of potential great personal harm. I don't know if I'd have had the cojones to stop a LEO.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

Kudos to the trooper for removing a dangerous threat to the health and well-being of everyone on that stretch of the highway that day.

Gunslinger

Good for the Trooper. A pos finds his badge doesn't mean he's above the law. The ******* cops criticizing her are scumbags and poster children for the Stormtrooper vermin that wear badges and think they are our rulers. I hope the dirtbag gets the book thrown at him.

jammer

Good for the Trooper. A pos finds his badge doesn't mean he's above the law. The ******* cops criticizing her are scumbags and poster children for the Stormtrooper vermin that wear badges and think they are our rulers. I hope the dirtbag gets the book thrown at him.

Could be he was just blowing the carbon out-------right?? I have seen troopers do this late at night on the turnpike, 150 mph----what?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Ladies and gentlemen, we have our proof that LEOs ARE above the law.

Officer Lopez is still on active duty, which means he is out writing traffic tickets to people like me and you for going 10mph over the speed limit and when he gets off his shift, he uses YOUR tax payer funded police cruiser to drive over 120 MPH to his off duty matters, weaving out of traffic putting our families in danger.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Officer Lopez is still on active duty, which means he is out writing traffic tickets to people like me and you for going 10mph over the speed limit and when he gets off his shift, he uses YOUR tax payer funded police cruiser to drive over 120 MPH to his off duty matters, weaving out of traffic putting our families in danger.

Anyone know the laws for reckless driving in Florida? At what point does it become an arrestable offense?

7 min chase, isn't that evasion?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Wait, cops wouldn't do that...

2006: http://www.8newsnow.com/story/73481...accident?clienttype=printable&redirected=true

They couldn't hide this story, but they sure didn't talk about it very much when it happened. How can I find out if this guy is still in prison for his 12-year sentence? That would be interesting.

He's out.

stay safe.

Search By Offender ID
Offender ID:
-or-
Search By Demographics
First Name: Wildcard %
Last Name: Wildcard %

SubmitReset
[h=3]NOTICE:[/h]The information provided here represents raw data. As such, the Nevada Department of Corrections makes no warranty or guarantee that the data is error free. The information should not be used as an official record by any law enforcement agency or any other entity.
Currently the following web browsers are supported for the Inmate Search: Internet Explorer 8/9, Chrome, Firefox and Opera. If you are unable to see inmate photo's please use a supported browser.

Search results are limited to the first 20 matches.
Up to date as of 2011-11-08
JOSHUAMCORCRANMalePAROLE

[h=4]Search Results[/h]
Offender IDFirst NameMiddle NameLast NameGenderInstitution[TR]

[/TR]

SFCRetired

Apparently it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/mh-troopergate-folo-1108-20111107,0,4654086.story

From that story, it would appear that the FHP is just as bad at speeding without having their lights and siren on. Quite frankly, I am a firm believer that any law enforcement officer who is caught exceeding the speed limit in this manner should lose his/her job and be subject to the full weight of the law. There is no excuse for it.

If there is an emergency, they should, as a minimum, have their lights on and be at a reduced speed (not 120 mph). I will also tell you that with as many drivers as we have talking on cell phones, etc., even the siren and lights are only marginally effective. Not to mention the folks with their megawatt stereos cranked up to the pain threshold (and beyond).

carry for myself

now that right there is a good trooper!. nice to see a cop DOING THEIR JOB. for once...........this lopez moron should be fired and MD should recant and shut up. their officer was in the wrong. clear as day.

sudden valley gunner

Apparently it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/mh-troopergate-folo-1108-20111107,0,4654086.story

From that story, it would appear that the FHP is just as bad at speeding without having their lights and siren on. Quite frankly, I am a firm believer that any law enforcement officer who is caught exceeding the speed limit in this manner should lose his/her job and be subject to the full weight of the law. There is no excuse for it.

If there is an emergency, they should, as a minimum, have their lights on and be at a reduced speed (not 120 mph). I will also tell you that with as many drivers as we have talking on cell phones, etc., even the siren and lights are only marginally effective. Not to mention the folks with their megawatt stereos cranked up to the pain threshold (and beyond).

Maybe why he was so surprised. Hey we let you guys speed all the time I thought this was quid pro quo.

Or it could be this Trooper just doesn't believe in playing those silly games.

Tony4310

Nice too see a cop actually doing their job. He was doing 120 for no reason and endangered himself and others around him in a tax payer police car. She had all rights to arrest him. She deserves an award.

frommycolddeadhands

What, no ticket?!

So the cop who was going 120MPH in his cruiser gets charged and released, and he's still on active duty.

Why in the name of Great Odin's Raven did they not stick him with a ticket for exceeding the speed-limit? If it were you or me we'd have been arrested, charged, and then ticketed for the speeding offence, which probably would run $300+

brekay

I think that this is total wrong. He sould not be on active duty anymore i dont know if im just beening to harsh but i think officers like this should have their badge taken. I think that officers need to realise that the badge does not give then the right to do whatever they want. I havent had very much experience with law enforcement but what i have most act like they are better then everyone else just because of the badge. They are no more above the law then i am.