• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB228 on it's way to the Governor's desk

Captain Nemo

Walker has signed SB228 into law. He also signed SB75 into law whuich eliminates the earn-a-buck program. Both laws are in effect for this hunting season as they were both ordered published immediatley.

Jason in WI

941.23 still applies, so make sure it is not "hidden".

I think this law is going to be the best thing to get 941.23 fixed for good! Wait until they start getting hunters for violations by having rifles in the back seat or on the passenger floor. Even if most cops let it slide you know there's going to be some obnoxious hunters that are going to get every ticket the officer can come up with.

Plus now we can get the fudds to help us push to fix 941.23! Either way it's a win........ Now I need to get back to researching gun racks :lol:.

Captain Nemo

Walker has proven to be a friend to both gun owners and hunters yet there are possibly as many people on this form that dislike him as like him, probably fuled by his radical approach to state financial issues. As a side issue to this thread the following web page is a running tally of the effect of his approaches to the state financial condition. http://reforms.wi.gov/

oak1971

Walker has proven to be a friend to both gun owners and hunters yet there are possibly as many people on this form that dislike him as like him, probably fuled by his radical approach to state financial issues. As a side issue to this thread the following web page is a running tally of the effect of his approaches to the state financial condition. http://reforms.wi.gov/

I support Walker on the fiscal matters, my beef is with him caving to the Fitzgerald Bros and training lobby on SB93.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I think this law is going to be the best thing to get 941.23 fixed for good! Wait until they start getting hunters for violations by having rifles in the back seat or on the passenger floor. Even if most cops let it slide you know there's going to be some obnoxious hunters that are going to get every ticket the officer can come up with.

Plus now we can get the fudds to help us push to fix 941.23! Either way it's a win........ Now I need to get back to researching gun racks :lol:.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/83-Setin...sal-lock-includes-key-override-and-timer.aspx

srt20

If I understand correctly, we can now have unloaded, UNCASED long guns and bows in our autos and on ATVs? If this is correct, and Walker has already signed this, when will this law take effect? Thanks

Jason in WI

If I understand correctly, we can now have unloaded, UNCASED long guns and bows in our autos and on ATVs?

Yes, but it can't be concealed and must be cased or locked into a rack when in a school zone.

You can also have a loaded long gun in or on your auto/atv with the engine running or not as long as its stationary. Again school zone and concealed laws apply.

If this is correct, and Walker has already signed this, when will this law take effect? Thanks

The day after its published. It should published no more then ten days after the secretary of state gets it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I read the summary and trying to figure out why locked is ok through the GFSZ, i'm new to legaleze.

If so, eff yeah, I'm mounting an AR in my trunk.

So when you are driving through a GFSZ some crazy frist grader dosen't grab it and run off with it.

We all know the GFSZ was and is just another tactic of the antis to demoninize gun owner ship and making it harder to transport. Other then that it has no use

Firearms Iinstuctor

If I understand correctly, we can now have unloaded, UNCASED long guns and bows in our autos and on ATVs? If this is correct, and Walker has already signed this, when will this law take effect? Thanks

Didn't govenor Walker oder it published right away if so doesn't that mean ASAP doing away with the 10 day wait?.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
iif it can't be concealed, then trunk mounting is out?

There is a 3 prong test to determine if the weapon is in violation of 941.23 and you can read it in the annotations to that statute.

1. Knowledge of the weapons presence.
2. The weapon is within reach.
3. The weapon is hidden.

A trunk does not generally meet #2

Last edited:

Packfanatic

Ok

I support Walker on the fiscal matters, my beef is with him caving to the Fitzgerald Bros and training lobby on SB93.

Would you rather have a dem in office maybe a doyle clone? I think we will get to Constitutional carry within the next 5 years.
but if we do not retain a 2A and gun friendly gov then we could regress. I will not sign the recall and i will vote for Walker. I do not agree with a lot of the things but i sure do not want doyle or that mayor from milwaulkee as our gov..

just saying ya know

bmwguy11

It would be really foolish for any pro 2A people to recall walker or any republicans. If you do that, realize the democrats will likely gain control and could repeal act 10 and act 35!

E6chevron

Just wondering can any body cit a case where some one was charged with carring a concealed long gun in a vehicle.

Lots of citations for un cased.

Up until Nov. 1, 2011, 941.23 (Carrying Concealed Weapon) statute read:

941.23 Carrying concealed weapon. Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state-certified commission warden.

Below is the applicable definition of "Dangerous weapon"

939.22(10) "Dangerous weapon" means any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded; any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death or great bodily harm; any ligature or other instrumentality used on the throat, neck, nose, or mouth of another person to impede, partially or completely, breathing or circulation of blood; any electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a); or any other device or instrumentality which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm.

Here is the Nov.1, 2011 exception to the Carrying Concealed Weapon statute for CCW licensees:

941.23(2)(d) A licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out-of-state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g), if the dangerous weapon is a weapon, as defined under s. 175.60 (1) (j)...

175.60(1)(j) "Weapon" means a handgun, an electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under s. 941.24, or a billy club.

The above definition of "Weapon" should remind you that the exception for CCW licensees, does NOT apply to long guns.

The 941.23 Carrying Concealed Weapons Statute was/is applicable to long guns (any firearm). It will be very interesting to see if anyone is cited for violating it in a vehicle, when they are following the new transportation statutes from SB228 (unencased). To avoid a citation, I think you will want to have the firearm out of reach, as has been one of the methods used in the past.

Last edited: