• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ALERT: WA Ceasefire to push O.C. ban in 2012 !!!!!

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Personally, I don't think they have a chance to get this done in WA. However, I will keep an eye on it.

acmariner99

Never underestimate the abilities of a small yet determined enemy. We have to ensure that such a ban does not happen.

p2a1x7

Do they have meets or anything? I would like to attend one because they just want to reduce gun violence, and that's a good thing. I would be open carrying of course, but I think gun violence is always something that should be reduced.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
While this is similar to the Little Boy That Cried Wolf let us not be so complacent or arrogant to feel it could not happen, keep apprised and if action is needed then respond.

There is no doubt that a certain number of gun owners see no issue of banning open carry even though this would be a huge step toward banning carry outside the home.

Sarcasm On "What ever happened to that Assault Gun Ban" Sarcasm Off

Last edited:

jt59

I agree

While this is similar to the Little Boy That Cried Wolf let us not be so complainant or arrogant to feel it could n
ot happen, keep apprised and if action is needed then respond.

There is no doubt that a certain number of gun owners see no issue of banning open carry even though this would be a huge step toward banning carry outside the home.

Sarcasm On "What ever happened to that Assault Gun Ban" Sarcasm Off

Folks,

I take this as serious as a heart attack and am telling all that we need to pay attention to this very closely. I have done work in Oly, and while it is an ardous process to get legislation changed and through the process, you can't tell what's going to happen. I've successfuly passed legislative change, and it's hard work (2 years).....they've thrown down the gauntlet directly at our feet. This is also not news....it has been publically announced as a 2012 intiative on their website for months.

If this attempt is seated in modification of our existing 9.40, it will also open up to amendment the entire language of the bill....and while it may be an opportunity to refine some of the language that we debate here, it may also have some unintended consequences.

This bill will dropped and go to the judiciary committee in the House, the Senate or both....I have had a conversation with Sen. Mike Carroll who is pro-actively a 2A supporter, but he made it quite clear to me that "no right is absolute" and he does not see the value in open carry....he is a Rep. and sits on this committee....and while he is usually on the opposite side from his Democratic counterparts, they may find some bi-partisan politics to agree on here.

If any of you have a direct line or personal relationship with any of the legislators in your district, you might want to start shining them up a little.

Last edited:

acmariner99

I should also point out that Open Carry is a divisive issue within the pro-2A community as well. Police departments may take issue with it (Seattle PD comes to mind). As much as I hate to say it, if WA CeaseFire wants to make an example of Open Carry in Washington, they DO have a chance due to the lack of unified support from the 2A community. Granted they don't have any proof to their claims -- OCers are targets, guns get taken from holsters and used against them, yadda yadda -- their main comment, 'it's scary' sadly carries weight to those driven by emotions and not facts. It is up to us to ensure facts regarding open carry are upheld, get support from LE, the NRA, etc. This one little extremist group may not have a lot of clout, but without a strong voice demanding our rights be preserved, there is a risk WA will end up like the DPRK. (Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia.)

hermannr

I would/will take this threat serously. There are a lot of people that have bought into the anti's (and cops) elitism. Only certain privilaged persons should be allowed to carry. Allowed to go to it's natural end, you have what CA, NJ and some other states have.

When I was growing up I was told that honest men carry honestly, they have nothing to hide. It is the people that are up to no good that hide their weapons. While that is not completely true, how many crinimals/crimes do you know of that did not/were not concealed prior to their unlawful use of the firearm?

If we really what to do something, let's go on the offensive and lobby for a repeal of 270, or at a minimum, the addition of a specific statement that a properly holstered firearm is an exemption under 270(3) or wording such that a properly holstered firearm does not meet this criteria. I would perfer just getting rid of Lowry's legacy.

TechnoWeenie

'they' said it would never happen in CA, and 'they' said it wouldn't happen in 1994 (OC was banned in WA from '94-'97 IIRC).

44Brent

I have had a conversation with Sen. Mike Carroll who is pro-actively a 2A supporter, but he made it quite clear to me that "no right is absolute" and he does not see the value in open carry

I don't see much value in reading a Koran.
I don't see much value in driving a Subaru.
I don't see much value in reading the Seattle Times newspaper.

I wonder if Mike Carroll would help me out on getting these all banned.

Last edited:

George Washington

Just in case you missed the related thread, please feel free to copy and reuse information from this article when contacting your representative.

Gun Prohibitionists Latest Trick: "Let's Pass a Law to Make Gun Owners HIDE their Guns"
http://www.washingtonceasefire.net/content/view/143/27/

The best weapon against the gun prohibitionists is to use their own words against them, as they can't keep their stories straight.

jsanchez

Look for ceasefire to start thier media campaign when thier flowers bloom around greenlake this spring, good photo op.

44Brent

Gregory Roberts, the new executive director of Washington Ceasefire considers himself a savvy media professional, and believes he has the skills to kick our butt: http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregorycroberts

Here's a contrary opinion excerpted from an article in Seattle Weekly:

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2011/11/seattle_gun_ban_challenge_move.php

Even Nickels reportedly might help lobby for it in the state legislature starting in January. That's where the fight moves now, as the court says it should. Among others, Washington Ceasefire is campaigning against open-carry of guns statewide. As the gun-control group says of its plans:

Our legislative priority for the 2012 state legislative session is to prohibit the unconcealed, open carrying of loaded weapons. It is legal in this state to carry a loaded weapon in full view without a permit, even in government buildings such as the state Capitol - and into legislative hearing rooms during a public hearing. Open carrying of loaded guns was prohibited in Dodge City during the days of the Wild West and is currently prohibited in such gun-friendly states as Texas, Oklahoma and Florida.

"Like that's going to happen [here] in an election year," sneers Workman. "Lawmakers are not about to appease the far Left mayor of the state's largest political Twilight Zone against the interests of more than 345,000 legally-licensed armed citizen voters who may not need one more excuse to vote Republican in November 2012."

Dave_pro2a

Please refresh my memory. How many times did Rossi win the election?

And people think the liberals can't "get stuff done" in this state.

Schlepnier

We should probably sticky this topic so we can keep updated incase we need to do an show of force en mass at some state hearing or need to contact our represnetatives.
Lets keep our eye open and ears to the ground on this one. i for one do not want to havbe to wear a jacket in 70+ degree weather in the summer just to make some whiner feel better about himself.

amlevin

Rather than assume it Can't Be Done, just remember it will be far easier to fight the change BEFORE it happens than AFTER!

Remember, they aren't trying to ban all gun possession and carry, just Open Carry. This stance will garner them all kinds of support from those in groups like the NRA that think a handgun is something to be carried only when hunting or left on the nightstand for home protection.

Expect the argument that by forcing people to carry concealed then the State has the ability to do background checks for the CPL. I can hear the statements "well, they can still carry, and this way we know who's doing so legally".

Do not think this change "can't" be made. Taking that position will only insure that does happen.