• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A little off topic, but is a issue I must tell about.

MustangPython00

I know the new laws went into effect on October 1st, Well I was recently in Shoot Straight of Tampa with my friend and he was purchasing a rifle. The girl behind the counter said that there is a 3-day wait on rifles and handguns. I told her that there was only a wait on handguns if you didnt have a CCP. She told me that the law was repealed due to a loop-hole and that the 3 day wait for long guns is still in effect in Hillsborough County. I saw them making others wait for their rifles as they had a stack of them they were making behind the counter with receipts taped to the box.

As far as I know they are in the wrong and that they shouldnt be enforcing the waiting period on long guns when the preemption law is in effect.

JeepSeller

I don't think it's off topic at all. You have a legitimate concern or question regarding a Florida legality as it relates to firearms. The answer will be forthcoming shortly I'm certain. I'd take a stab at it, but, the expert around here on preemption issues is really Rich or anyone from the FloridaCarry group. Instead of possibly posting inaccurate information, I'll defer to them. One will be along eventually, they're pretty good about responding.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
shooting from the hip, so don't quote me on this;

but I thought in FL counties could enforce waiting periods < I THOUGHT maybe perhaps possibly I glanced at something like this in 790.... or maybe I'm some ******* idiot.

10x

I too had to wait for a shotty in Pinellas county. I also have a CCL

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
^^ What he said ^^

With a CWP you shouldn't be waiting for anything.

Buy from private sellers, they are people like you and me, they need the money. No waiting period.

The retailers don't need any more money, they have everything already and they sure don't pay their employees worth a damn. They're feeding the beast more than they're feeding anyone else.

Last edited:

MustangPython00

I understand that with a CWP I wouldnt have to wait. But Im talking about the other people without a CWP that are buying rifles and are being told they have to wait. They cant do that, can they?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
I understand that with a CWP I wouldnt have to wait. But Im talking about the other people without a CWP that are buying rifles and are being told they have to wait. They cant do that, can they?
It depends on whether the county has adopted a local option waiting period under Fla. Const. Art. VIII , § 5(b). While the statewide 3-day waiting period under Fla. Const. Art. I, § 8(b) applies only to handguns, the county option 3-5 day waiting period under Fla. Const. Art. VIII , § 5(b) applies to all firearms--not just handguns. Has anyone compiled a list of the counties that have imposed local option waiting periods?

Last edited:

Rich7553

It depends on whether the county has adopted a local option waiting period under Fla. Const. Art. VII , § 5(b). While the statewide 3-day waiting period under Fla. Const. Art. I, § 8(b) applies only to handguns, the county option 3-5 day waiting period under Fla. Const. Art. VII , § 5(b) applies to all firearms--not just handguns. Has anyone compiled a list of the counties that have imposed local option waiting periods?

You are correct. A person who has a CWFL has no waiting period for any firearm purchase made from a FFL. However a person without a CWFL is subject to a minimum 3-day wait on handguns per state consititution, or a 0-5 day wait for any firearm under the local option in the state constitution.

To my knowledge, Jim, no one has compiled such a list. In their zeal to comply with preemption however, Orange County has repealed their 3-day waiting ordinance despite it being a constitutionally protected local option.

Last edited: