• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Navy Federal CU

Metalhead47

SO I've heard nothing but good things about these folks and their tolerance, or at least neutrality towards OC in their branches. Turns out I'll shortly be eligible for membership there, and would really like to introduce Chase to the toe of my boot, but...

I am a little nervous about OCing into a bank for any length of time. Not so much about a possible confrontation, or being asked to leave (if so asked, I will), but more about getting booted and then having to slink back in later with my tail between my legs to take care of business, and at having gotten up early on a Saturday & schlepping to Oak Harbor for nothing.

Anyone fami

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
When it comes to OCing in a bank, you shouldn't worry too much. I haven't OCed in a Navy Federal but I have in a number of others. The only advice I can give is to be aware of how you could be perceived. I you look nervous, it will make them nervous. Take your hat or sunglasses off before going in. Smile and say hi to the first person you see. This will put the bank folks at ease for the most part.

acmariner99

Interesting, I don't understand the hostility towards Chase. I have OC'ed at Chase branches all over Puget Sound and where I am now in Arizona. The only comment I got was 'what did you buy at suchandsuch a gun store" when they reviewed one of my statements. But, if these smaller local CU's and smaller banks are more accepting of OC, cool, more power to ya! Actually my first OC was at a Chase branch. Gutsy yes, but the tellers knew me before that.

TechnoWeenie

They do NOT allow carry in their branches.

I was even kicked out of one of their branches, then had the head of corp security tell me that the board opted for a 'no firearms policy' across the board. He then suggested that, instead of OC, that 'While we do have a rule against carrying firearms in our branches, if we never saw it, we wouldn't be able to say anything about it'... I could see him winking across the phone lines, lol.

If you're eligible for NFCU, you're eligible for USAA...

Go with USAA. They have good insurance rates, and their card can actually be used for debit purposes. The card that NFCU gives you can only be used @ ATMs and run as credit, can't be run as debit at POS.

Metalhead47

Interesting, I don't understand the hostility towards Chase. I have OC'ed at Chase branches all over Puget Sound and where I am now in Arizona. The only comment I got was 'what did you buy at suchandsuch a gun store" when they reviewed one of my statements. But, if these smaller local CU's and smaller banks are more accepting of OC, cool, more power to ya! Actually my first OC was at a Chase branch. Gutsy yes, but the tellers knew me before that.

My gripes with Chase have nothing to do with OC, just their policies, lousy service, and ever-increasing fees. Like all those other folks who switched today. I've actually OC'd in my local branch here, but only very briefly. I rarely actually go in to a bank branch in the first place.

They do NOT allow carry in their branches.

I was even kicked out of one of their branches, then had the head of corp security tell me that the board opted for a 'no firearms policy' across the board. He then suggested that, instead of OC, that 'While we do have a rule against carrying firearms in our branches, if we never saw it, we wouldn't be able to say anything about it'... I could see him winking across the phone lines, lol.

If you're eligible for NFCU, you're eligible for USAA...

Go with USAA. They have good insurance rates, and their card can actually be used for debit purposes. The card that NFCU gives you can only be used @ ATMs and run as credit, can't be run as debit at POS.

Hmm, now this is contrary to everything else I've seen here about them. For some reason the forum cut off half my post. I was trying to say, anyone familiar with an actual "official" policy re carry? I don't think I'm eligible for USAA, I can only get in with NFCU cuz my mother recently opened accounts there (ret. USAF spouse). I don't know if USAA has the same ease of access via ATM's either (NFCU lets you make deposits at any USBank ATM, among others). The part about the debit card not working doesn't make sense either, ATM's & POS terminals use the same systems, even my old ATM-only card from Chase worked POS. Can anyone corroborate here?

Vitaeus

in re NFCU their check card runs as a credit card at the POS but it is debited against your checking account so only difference is in the fee the merchant has to pay and generally credit transactions are cheaper for the merchant.

tombrewster421

in re NFCU their check card runs as a credit card at the POS but it is debited against your checking account so only difference is in the fee the merchant has to pay and generally credit transactions are cheaper for the merchant.

All credit transactions cost the merchant 2% of the purchase. As far as I know debit transactions are just a small flat fee (if there is one). So most purchases are probably over the amount that would make the 2% credit fee much higher.

Aryk45XD

I'm with NFCU

I have been with them since '98. Theu are one of the best credit unions in my educated opinion. However, their corp policy is no firearms in the branches.