Thread: Hiking in GW NF

Hiking in GW NF

I believe OC is prohibited unless it is hunting season and hunting is allowed in the national forest.

I don't know anything about hunting or hunting seasons, is it a hunting season right now and is hunting allowed in George Washington NF?

I'm going on a hike in the GW NF tomorrow and would really prefer to OC than CC while hiking 10 miles.

Thanks!

Yes sir, squirrel season is from sept.3 to jan. 31 this year.
    Happy hiking
    Ray

•For more information, contact the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest Headquarters at 5162 Valleypointe Parkway, Roanoke, VA 24019,
    540-265-5100.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Which trail are you hiking?

# Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general firearms deer season.
    # The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a primitive weapons season or chase only season.
    Found this. I think you can OC, because the worst they can do is ask you to cover it up, especially if you have a permit. I understood from the VCDL that you can OC in all state parks, because I asked concerning Westmoreland State Park.

As to National Forests, you'll have to call to be sure and even then they might not be up on the current law.

Have a nice hike. Visit Saint Mary's gorge natural area if you get a chance - great hike and waterfalls.

HTH
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    •For more information, contact the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest Headquarters at 5162 Valleypointe Parkway, Roanoke, VA 24019,
    540-265-5100.
    Ended up CCing, have had very little luck with asking government officials from non legal agencies about legal questions and even if they said yes, it wouldn't help me in court if they ended up being wrong... To much risk in the situation for my comfort... Pretty screwed up law, should be up on the list of things to fix when we flip the Senate...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Which trail are you hiking?
    Hiked the Signal Knob hike near Fort Valley and Strasburg, wonderful views of two different valleys.

I oc in GWNF, no problem during hunting season which is ongoing. And what are the chances of seeing a ranger, I have never seen one in GWNF.

I have not done Signal knob yet, it is on my list. My favorite in GW is Strickler knob, I think the 360 views at top are best in Virginia. And the rock scramble is really great.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Why would you not be able to OC in a NF? Is there a state law that bans such? or requires that it be hunting season? Does VA have some kind of law regulating OC?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Why would you not be able to OC in a NF? Is there a state law that bans such? or requires that it be hunting season? Does VA have some kind of law regulating OC?
    NO!

It's part of a multistate hunting agreement between DGIF, The National Forest and several other states.

If we can force change through the General Assembly the National Forest Regulation is an easy fix.

Relevant sections of VA Admin Code..

4VAC15-40-60. Hunting with dogs or possession of weapons in certain locations during closed season.

A. Department-owned lands west of the Blue Ridge Mountains and national forest lands statewide. It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm that is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on all national forest lands statewide and on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl on these lands.

F. It shall be unlawful to possess or transport any loaded firearm, or loaded crossbow in or on any vehicle at any time on national forest lands or department-owned lands.

G. The provisions of this section shall not prohibit the possession, transport and use of loaded firearms by employees of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries while engaged in the performance of their authorized and official duties, nor shall it prohibit possession and transport of loaded concealed handguns where the individual possesses a concealed handgun permit as defined in § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfenter View Post
    4VAC15-40-60. Hunting with dogs or possession of weapons in certain locations during closed season.

A. Department-owned lands west of the Blue Ridge Mountains and national forest lands statewide. It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm that is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on all national forest lands statewide and on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl on these lands.

F. It shall be unlawful to possess or transport any loaded firearm, or loaded crossbow in or on any vehicle at any time on national forest lands or department-owned lands.

G. The provisions of this section shall not prohibit the possession, transport and use of loaded firearms by employees of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries while engaged in the performance of their authorized and official duties, nor shall it prohibit possession and transport of loaded concealed handguns where the individual possesses a concealed handgun permit as defined in § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.
    Yet their sign says otherwise.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	317444_10150321141338292_539983291_8156890_1693327695_n (1).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	7346
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Whats up with the Glock?
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?