• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Germantown Gander Mountain is now Gun World

safcrkr

They just opened Sunday, and haven't even had the grand opening yet. They don't have any sales flyers out yet, either.

A sales flyer is what I was looking for, just to see how competitive their prices are. If they're like regular Gander Mountain stores, they're way overpriced. A "mom & pop" type gun store in Rhinelander beat Gander's price on a Ruger Blackhawk (NIB from both) by $95!!! Same exact gun.

KBCraig

Still owned by Gander though, ho hum.

Gander has the purchasing power to be extremely competitive in volume. Whether they will do so with this new concept, or not, is something that will have to be evaluated in a couple of years after the excitement wears off.

oak1971

Gander has the purchasing power to be extremely competitive in volume. Whether they will do so with this new concept, or not, is something that will have to be evaluated in a couple of years after the excitement wears off.

True, and they have been in that position for a long time, yet get spanked by the mom and pop operations in my area.

Like you say, time will tell.

Vandil

Drove over there today with a friend that wanted a 10/22 Deluxe figured the ride was worth the gander if he was buying the gas.

Lots and Lots of pistols if you're window shopping they had everything from .22 derringers to a gold plated .50ae. Prices were screwed up and not in a good way. They had the 10/22D listed at $499 and a 91/30@$179 used Bushmaster 16" .223 @$950. They were willing to price match but it was a pain to look up on a cell phone when every serious shop has that rifle at near $300.

I followed an old guy around the store who had an employee in tow as he pointed out at least 5 rifles that were miss tagged. One was listed caliber unknown with the caliber stamped right on the barrel. They sold a rifle to the guy next to us with the magazine missing. One employee said no mag and then another spent 5min and found the mag in the bag with the rifles SKU on it. Everything besides used is behind the counter so you have to ask the guys to hand you everything. On top of that it was busy and they were taking numbers at the counter to help people. Turn the price and info tag to the counter for christ sake when you put it away so people can at least see what you have without asking price on every mystery rifle on the rack.

I bought one box of .380 Hornday custom xtp.

Resdon111

Just got back from a visit; they really do have a boatload of guns. The rifle racks and handgun displays now cover about 75% of the store's wallspace. Ammo prices seem fair, gun selection is the best I've ever seen by far. Some guns are priced really well, others are not. They have a good couple of knife racks, surefire flashlight rack (hands on), boots/shoes, novelty gun clothing, cleaning supplies, and lots of ammo. I was really surprised to find that they have about ten racks dedicated to BLACKHAWK and 5.11 clothing and bags. Prices on that are about what you'd expect (I never buy any tactical clothing unless its on clearance). The hunting clothing is still there but the selection is really reduced, and there is very little blaze orange.

I spent some time listening to one of the gun counter guys (by chance he was talking to an OpenCarry forum member, so hi to him). Apparently even they didn't know that the place was being changed until after the renovation started. The owner decided to go to the Gun World format because of the heavy competition from Cabelas, and the fact that there is a number of Gander Mountains in the area. It is still very much a Gander Mountain operation: same logo on the building, all the displays are still Gander, employee uniforms. It seems as though it is set up like a firearms outlet store from GM.

Overall I was impressed, but there's certainly a lot of kinks they're still working out with the computers and whatnot.

Fast Ed

This place is about 3 minutes from my office. Looks like I will have to ask for a raise. Hope the prices aren't too bad. I would love to have a competitive gun store this close.

Fast Ed

xenophon

I took the motorcycle for one last spin for the season and decided to stop there (Gander Gtown) on the way back. Wow. Talk about a renovation. Lots of selection of firearms!! Much improved over the old setup. Heck, even saw a bunch of used ARs for sale. Knife and flashlight rack was cool too. I'll be going back.

Vandil

Heck, even saw a bunch of used ARs for sale.

That's what I was looking for but I didn't see any outstanding deals the day I stopped in.

They had a Frenchie MAS 49/56 7.5mm but it was listed as "unknown rifle" and about $300 over what it should have been. Sort of surprised me that they had 2x as many used shotguns as the entire military area.

Fast Ed

Neat Stuff

I was there at lunch today. Big selection of used stuff. Prices were not out-of-line from what I've seen at Cabela's down the road, although I didn't look at everything there for any particularly egregious prices.

They had a couple of Steyr AUG's, a handful of FN PS90's, a boatload of AR's and bunch of regular stuff (shotguns, rifles) in the used rack. Was looking for a stainless 10/22 to cannibalize the action. I am going to be building a "custom" with my sons and need one for the action. No luck on the stainless, but they did have one in full camo with the laser built into the nose of the stock.

I will be in there regularly, scoping out the used rack looking for that one deal that makes my wallet lighter.

Fast Ed

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
The only time I ever buy firearms from Gander Mt. is when they are on some ridiculous clearance sale or if there is a good deal on a used gun. Other than that, their prices always seem to be a lot higher than my local FFL. That's not to say that deals aren't to be had. I bought both my Springer 1911 and my HK USPc there for well under what they were worth. I just wouldn't buy anything retail. They also got me mad when they stopped dealing on prices on used firearms.

McNutty

http://www.jsonline.com/business/ga...un-world-in-germantown-pj3038f-133557158.html

Apparently, the grand opening is set for this weekend - although I didn't see any sales/advertisements online for this store yet. I probably buy 90% of my ammunition from Cabelas because their prices are always better than the Gander I usually go to in Brookfield/Waukesha. I'll have to check out the new Gun World - Germantown is a lot closer than Richfield.

touchdowntodd

was there today ... freaking AWESOME ... if the prices were better it would be heaven ... first time seeing a S&W 327 in person .. killed me not to buy it but cant afford that at all .. financing offers are great LOL

i do have a plan to test them on the price matching with a theory of mine ... :banana:

AaronS

was there today ... freaking AWESOME ... if the prices were better it would be heaven ... first time seeing a S&W 327 in person .. killed me not to buy it but cant afford that at all .. financing offers are great LOL

i do have a plan to test them on the price matching with a theory of mine ... :banana:

I just got back from the "new" store.

Selection is about the best I have ever seen in my life. The selection of carry guns is the best I have ever seen in my life.
Just about any hand gun you can think of (yes the super rare ones also if modern) can be seen.

Prices, well if the place will price match, I guess thats cool. The listed prices I saw were well in the norm, nothing was a "great" deal...

Now the wife wants a S&W Mod 60. The one I looked at had a great trigger break. I had to do a lot of work on my Ruger super red to get it that good...

Let me know if you find a better way to make the price match work better for me.

Carmmond

http://www.jsonline.com/business/ga...un-world-in-germantown-pj3038f-133557158.html

Apparently, the grand opening is set for this weekend - although I didn't see any sales/advertisements online for this store yet. I probably buy 90% of my ammunition from Cabelas because their prices are always better than the Gander I usually go to in Brookfield/Waukesha. I'll have to check out the new Gun World - Germantown is a lot closer than Richfield.

Not sure what your looking for I only buy 30 06/12ga/40SW/22 and the best price in the Waukesha area is Walmart and FarmNFleet. If you would like reloads you could check out Fletchers.

Cabela's/FnF prices for my cal.

30-06 Springfield 180 Grain $23.99/17.99(sale this week $16.99)
Winchester Military-Grade Buckshot 5.99/4.99
.40 Smith & Wesson 180 Grain 50rds $20.99/14.99(Walmart)/30.99 (FnF)100rds.

Last edited:

touchdowntodd

the prices arent great .. the selection is, and the price match is the ONLY way ..

case in point, that 2022 sig .. $399 on sale is Cabela's every day price .. only reason i know is I actually was thinking about that for a 9mm ... somethin to carry occasionally