Thread: Brandishing charge.

Brandishing charge.

Richmond Times Dispatch. Mods move or delete as you see fit. Just thought this relevent as per recent brandishing charges agains one of our own and in central Virginia though not OC releated exactly. I mean, he did go from conealed carry to open carry.

Michael D. Bell, 22, pleaded no contest Wednesday in Hopewell Circuit Court to brandishing a handgun during a brawl with a fellow soldier June 11 outside a Denny's restaurant in Hopewell. In exchange for his plea, prosecutors withdrew a felony malicious-wounding charge.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...rm-ar-1434035/

While in the parking lot, one witness saw Bell pull up his shirt to expose the gun in his waistband, and another saw him pull the weapon and point it "to prevent anybody from pursuing them" as he and his friends were leaving the restaurant after the assault, Mumphrey said.

Big mistake.

He was fortunate to get off as light as he did.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

This is one of the worst cases of a reporter trying to generate news that I have ever seen.

I would be ashamed to call myself a "reporter" if I were them.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    This is one of the worst cases of a reporter trying to generate news that I have ever seen.

I would be ashamed to call myself a "reporter" if I were them.

TFred
    Respectfully, I disagree with you.

There is a lot of background info included, it all appears to be accurate, and it paints all the rest of the CHP holders in a non-negative light (saying this guy was behaving inordinately inappropriately but his behavior is so far outside the norm as to be newsworthy.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    A Fort Lee soldier has been convicted of brandishing a pistol outside a Hopewell eatery in one of the few cases of a concealed-gun permit-holder breaking the law since Virginians were allowed to carry hidden guns into bars and restaurants serving alcohol.

The fight, which ended with the victim suffering a broken jaw, is one of the few known cases of a concealed-weapons permit-holder committing a crime at a restaurant during the first full year of the new Virginia law. That law, which went into effect July 1, 2010, allows gun owners with permits to carry hidden firearms inside bars and restaurants as long as they don't drink.

but......

The new law didn't fully come into play, though, because Bell brandished his concealed gun outside a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol.

Then why mention the new law about carrying where alcohol is served if this restaurant doesn't serve alcohol???????

Bell immediately informed police after the stop that he had a gun in the car. "I have a concealed-weapons permit," Mumphrey said Bell told officers.

Um, no you don't, and not any more!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Mark Bowes screwed up here

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    "The new law didn't fully come into play, though, because Bell brandished his concealed gun outside a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol." -- Mark Bowes, RTD
    That fact makes it clear the "new law" part of the article is completely irrelevant. Therefore, Mark should not have linked this incident to the "new law" at all. Bad reporting on his part.

If you think about it, even if that Denny's did serve alcoholic beverages, the incident was outside.

Edit :ignore me, not thinking things right today for some reason
    Last edited by Baked on Grease; 11-05-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Lawyer-mode question: who started the fight in which the jaw got broken? And, was this guy represented by counsel (I'm assuming the answer is, "no", given the outcome).
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    And, was this guy represented by counsel (I'm assuming the answer is, "no", given the outcome).
    I'm thinking that he may have been...hence the Nolo plea. Just a guess though.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/