• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brandishing charge.

riverrat10k

Richmond Times Dispatch. Mods move or delete as you see fit. Just thought this relevent as per recent brandishing charges agains one of our own and in central Virginia though not OC releated exactly. I mean, he did go from conealed carry to open carry.

Michael D. Bell, 22, pleaded no contest Wednesday in Hopewell Circuit Court to brandishing a handgun during a brawl with a fellow soldier June 11 outside a Denny's restaurant in Hopewell. In exchange for his plea, prosecutors withdrew a felony malicious-wounding charge.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...soldier-with-concealed-carry-perm-ar-1434035/

MilProGuy

While in the parking lot, one witness saw Bell pull up his shirt to expose the gun in his waistband, and another saw him pull the weapon and point it "to prevent anybody from pursuing them" as he and his friends were leaving the restaurant after the assault, Mumphrey said.

Big mistake.

He was fortunate to get off as light as he did.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This is one of the worst cases of a reporter trying to generate news that I have ever seen.

I would be ashamed to call myself a "reporter" if I were them.

TFred

Respectfully, I disagree with you.

There is a lot of background info included, it all appears to be accurate, and it paints all the rest of the CHP holders in a non-negative light (saying this guy was behaving inordinately inappropriately but his behavior is so far outside the norm as to be newsworthy.

stay safe.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
A Fort Lee soldier has been convicted of brandishing a pistol outside a Hopewell eatery in one of the few cases of a concealed-gun permit-holder breaking the law since Virginians were allowed to carry hidden guns into bars and restaurants serving alcohol.

The fight, which ended with the victim suffering a broken jaw, is one of the few known cases of a concealed-weapons permit-holder committing a crime at a restaurant during the first full year of the new Virginia law. That law, which went into effect July 1, 2010, allows gun owners with permits to carry hidden firearms inside bars and restaurants — as long as they don't drink.

but......

The new law didn't fully come into play, though, because Bell brandished his concealed gun outside a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol.

Then why mention the new law about carrying where alcohol is served if this restaurant doesn't serve alcohol???????

Bell immediately informed police after the stop that he had a gun in the car. "I have a concealed-weapons permit," Mumphrey said Bell told officers.

Um, no you don't, and not any more!

Repeater

Mark Bowes screwed up here

"The new law didn't fully come into play, though, because Bell brandished his concealed gun outside a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol." -- Mark Bowes, RTD

That fact makes it clear the "new law" part of the article is completely irrelevant. Therefore, Mark should not have linked this incident to the "new law" at all. Bad reporting on his part.

If you think about it, even if that Denny's did serve alcoholic beverages, the incident was outside.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Lawyer-mode question: who started the fight in which the jaw got broken? And, was this guy represented by counsel (I'm assuming the answer is, "no", given the outcome).