• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

found another misguided NRA instructor.

Shawn Mitola

Found a paper posted up at the counter of my local lawnmower repair shop advertising for the NRA basic pistol safety course. The following is the exact wording. He doesn't have a web site just a phone number to call.

Connecticut requires a pistol safety course, which is taught by a NRA certified instructor in order to apply for concealed carry permit. This course will cover every aspect of safe, responsible, handgun ownership. Topics covered include: basic knowledge and operation of handguns and ammunition, also safe management of both, correct shooting techniques and stances, storage of a handgun and childproofing, selecting a suitable handgun and ammunition, methods of concealed carry, and Connecticut gun laws. A live fire shooting session is also included.

He doesn't give a website or email address only the name Dan and his phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx (EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR: I am not sure that we should be posting the phone number of someone who isn't a public figure).

I can't decide if I want to call him and risk an argument on the phone but I probably will call him anyway.

KIX

Just found out my club has the same thing (I just joined last week!).

I'll ask 'em about it as well.

Jonathan

KIX

As soon as I figure out who he is!

I have a ton of names to start learnin'.

Jonathan

Ctclassic

Shawn, I too are taken issue with someone local who is advertising a class with similar wording. His name is Henry Moses, NRA Cert. Inst. # 860-942-3643 he is from the Brooklyn area I believe. I will call "your guy" when I get a couple minutes.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Is it possible that this instructor is just NOT aware of OC? This is a short notice offering a class for a "Concealed Carry Permit". I know that when I first got into firearms I never even considered OC. I don't know one way or the other but by my read of the included course offering there is nothing there that it ANTI open carry.

JoeSparky

Centurion
If one is an instructor, one is expected to know - open carry, concealed carry, any way you want carry.

Agreed! Just suggesting maybe the instructor felt he had enough on his card already.
And yes a gentle phone call asking him is in order. His response would dictate the tone of the rest of the conversation.
It just seemed to me that there may have been a determination made already that this instructor was not as informed as he could have been all based on a business card type ad for a concealed carry course.

Carry on!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If one is an instructor, one is expected to know - open carry, concealed carry, any way you want carry.

Unless he only knows the course material required to be an NRA-certified instructor. The Personal Protection Outside the Home course states outright that the firearm must be concealed. Of course, the NRA is absolutely wrong on this, but it could be that the instructor is legitimately ignorant. I make a special point to my students that the NRA is wrong when I cover this material.

ncwabbit

query...what specific aspects of the ad is causing concern?

forgive the intrusion into your thread...but what specifically is of concern w/the ad as posted?

wabbit

ncwabbit

truly...

then this link from usacarry.com is in error?

http://www.usacarry.com/connecticut_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

as might the state of connecticut dot gov site which states, in part:
"The Special License and Firearms Unit is responsible for the issuance of state pistol permits. Applicants for a state pistol permit must first apply for, and be granted a local pistol permit. A local pistol permit may be obtained from the police chief in the town in which you reside or maintain a place of business."
"Out of state residents may apply for a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit. Non residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit."

ref:http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294502&dpsNav=|

IMHO, I think u can see my confusion factor at this point...

Rich B

Yes, this is wrong. I have requested them to change this in the past. You can also see this in their 'open carry' section as well as in the comments.

as might the state of connecticut dot gov site which states, in part:
"The Special License and Firearms Unit is responsible for the issuance of state pistol permits. Applicants for a state pistol permit must first apply for, and be granted a local pistol permit. A local pistol permit may be obtained from the police chief in the town in which you reside or maintain a place of business."
"Out of state residents may apply for a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit. Non residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit."

ref:http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294502&dpsNav=|

IMHO, I think u can see my confusion factor at this point...

This says nothing of concealment.

Last edited:

ncwabbit

guess i am still confused a bit

now a quote from the conn citizens defense league publication sited above:...66 Year Old New London City Ordinance Banning Concealed Carry is Being Addressed. Only two cities currently have ordinances banning the concealed carry of weapons. One is New Britain, the other just so happens to be in the city that CCDL President Scott Wilson lives in. (http://www.ccdl.us/)

so u can see my confusion factor at this point...

ncwabbit

further information leading to a larger confusion factor...from the ct pistol permit issues site>>>

GUN PERMIT-RELATED QUESTIONS

1. Is there any statute prescribing that firearms must be carried concealed?

The answer is no. The law does not address this issue. But, with limited exceptions, it is illegal to carry a handgun, whether concealed or openly, without a permit, except in one’s home or place of business (CGS § 29-35(a)).

http://ctpistolpermitissues.com/nine-specific-gun-permit-related-questions-olr/

I am sure you can see there might be a huge confusion factor...

wabbit

Rich B

now a quote from the conn citizens defense league publication sited above:...66 Year Old New London City Ordinance Banning Concealed Carry is Being Addressed. Only two cities currently have ordinances banning the concealed carry of weapons. One is New Britain, the other just so happens to be in the city that CCDL President Scott Wilson lives in. (http://www.ccdl.us/)

so u can see my confusion factor at this point...

No. I can't. What does this have to do with the fact that there is no such thing as a 'concealed weapons permit'?

We have a pistol permit, you may carry openly or concealed.

Rich B

I am sure you can see there might be a huge confusion factor...

You need to stop and read the thread and the ad before you keep quoting various sites on the internet.

- Connecticut has no such thing as a 'concealed carry permit'.

- Connecticut has a pistol permit.

- A pistol permit allows you to buy a pistol and carry it openly or concealed.

- Nothing you have posted so far shows confusion about this other than USA carry which also contradicts itself and is flagrantly wrong.

There is no confusion over this other than what you (and misinformed 'instructors') are generating.

Last edited:

KIX

Wow, Rich, didn't know you did that as well.

I requested they change that well over a year ago and they still have it up there.

I'm starting to wonder if they get multiple requests, still don't change the info, how valuable of a resource is it?

Jonathan

dcmdon

Found a paper posted up at the counter of my local lawnmower repair shop advertising for the NRA basic pistol safety course. The following is the exact wording. He doesn't have a web site just a phone number to call.

He doesn't give a website or email address only the name Dan and his phone number 203-581-1833

I can't decide if I want to call him and risk an argument on the phone but I probably will call him anyway.

There's nothing wrong with him covering the "methods of concealed carry". He may or may not choose to cover the methods of open carry. But there's nothing wrong with that statement.

Of course, I agree with the first item you hilight.