• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

found another misguided NRA instructor.

KIX

I can get behind Don on that one.

If an instructor at least says open carry is legal, but offers instruction on concealed carry, I'm fine with that.

I usually mention if you open carry, good holstering options (retention holsters and such).

Jonathan

Rich B

If they claim to be offering a class to obtain a 'concealed carry permit' in Connecticut, they are (at best) advertising something that doesn't exist.

He should change that and I agree with Shawn that it would be a good time to find out if he understands the actual laws in CT.

Anyone prancing around talking about 'CCWs' or 'concealed carry permits' in Connecticut should at least be viewed with a little skepticism for whether they understand the laws here.

SickPythons

In this guy's defense, it is certainly possible to get your instructor's cert without knowing the real rules on carrying. The pistol safety course does not include any training on state law and many instructors are just misinformed. As a pistol instructor myself, I never knew the real rules before I found this site.

KIX

An error, I can understand. But when we point it out and you still are dead wrong, and think you're right..... then there is just plain stupidity!

Jonathan

Rich B

In this guy's defense, it is certainly possible to get your instructor's cert without knowing the real rules on carrying. The pistol safety course does not include any training on state law and many instructors are just misinformed. As a pistol instructor myself, I never knew the real rules before I found this site.

It is certainly possible to get your pistol permit, but not know the laws about self defense and use of force. That is a personal responsibility that must be addressed.

dcmdon

It's also something that is intentionally absent from the NRA basic handgun course, which is the most common class used to get a pistol permit.

The NRA actually has a defensive handgun inside the home and an outside the ohme course. Nobody takes them. And nobody offers them. I don't bother because the NRA requires that I bring in a lawyer for the course.

Shawn Mitola

Well he is obviously not to interested in teaching as I called him and sent a text message with no reply and I never even mentioned anything about OC

Armedinct

Hey you know what guys, he may have typed it with out knowing. He may have typed it thinking that most people think its a concealed permit. Either way its working to get some publicity! I mean he has a whole thread about his instructing. haha! I dont see anyone talking in threads about me or my classes. Free advertising he might be a genius!

Last edited:

PT111

I am from SC but I am going to throw my two cents worth in here because like someone else I was confused as to what was wrong with the sign. After reading all of this thread I see and totally agree with the error of his ways. I agree totally that requiring a basic handgun safety course to get a permit is pretty much worthless. If you are going to require some kind of training at least make it worthwhile and teach the "basic" laws. Some one else in this thread said that they are a certified instructor and did not know the laws until they read then on here.

If you are going to require a course then it should consist of three parts. First are the laws of the state and that is the most important and includes not only where you may carry but when you can use it. This should include in detail either the duty to retreat laws or Castle Doctrine laws, whichever is applicable.

Second is the four rules of gun safety drilled into the heads of the students.

Third is as long as they know which end of the barrel the bullet comes out of and can fire it without closing their eyes and turning away I am fine. I don't care if you can hit the 10 ring at 40 yards if you don't know the laws and safe handling.

It appears to me that just requiring the NRA safety course is a waste. At least in SC instructors are given a set of guidelines that they have to go by whether or not they actually do. Being able to shoot accurately is a very small part of carrying a gun and just knowing the rules of safety isn't much more. If an instructor doesn't know the laws of the state, especially the difference between OC and CC he has no business teaching and that should be pointed out to your legislators. Either require a decent course or get rid of it and quit wasting people's time and money.

smokeyburnout

I am from SC but I am going to throw my two cents worth in here because like someone else I was confused as to what was wrong with the sign. After reading all of this thread I see and totally agree with the error of his ways. I agree totally that requiring a basic handgun safety course to get a permit is pretty much worthless. If you are going to require some kind of training at least make it worthwhile and teach the "basic" laws. Some one else in this thread said that they are a certified instructor and did not know the laws until they read then on here.

If you are going to require a course then it should consist of three parts. First are the laws of the state and that is the most important and includes not only where you may carry but when you can use it. This should include in detail either the duty to retreat laws or Castle Doctrine laws, whichever is applicable.

Second is the four rules of gun safety drilled into the heads of the students.

Third is as long as they know which end of the barrel the bullet comes out of and can fire it without closing their eyes and turning away I am fine. I don't care if you can hit the 10 ring at 40 yards if you don't know the laws and safe handling.

It appears to me that just requiring the NRA safety course is a waste. At least in SC instructors are given a set of guidelines that they have to go by whether or not they actually do. Being able to shoot accurately is a very small part of carrying a gun and just knowing the rules of safety isn't much more. If an instructor doesn't know the laws of the state, especially the difference between OC and CC he has no business teaching and that should be pointed out to your legislators. Either require a decent course or get rid of it and quit wasting people's time and money.

Honestly, requireing the laws to be taught during the class would make the cost of the course too much for most people. Currently it costs about $289.50 to take the course (class costs may differ) and submit the paperwork. The additional cost of having a lawer present to give legal advise would drive that cost even higher and cause excersizing a right to become a finicial burden. If anything the police or a non profit should volunteer time to adress these concerns and educate the public.

Rich B

If anything the police or a non profit should volunteer time to adress these concerns and educate the public.

And to blacklist and call out the 'instructors' who find teaching incorrect lessons to paying customers a joke while promoting those who do understand the laws in CT.

PT111

Honestly, requireing the laws to be taught during the class would make the cost of the course too much for most people. Currently it costs about $289.50 to take the course (class costs may differ) and submit the paperwork. The additional cost of having a lawer present to give legal advise would drive that cost even higher and cause excersizing a right to become a finicial burden. If anything the police or a non profit should volunteer time to adress these concerns and educate the public.

In SC the standard price is around $75 for an 8 hour course. Usually a video of a lawyer explaining some of the laws are shown with the instructor following up with discussion. Also each student is given a copy of all the relevant laws. The course is usually about 4-6 hours of class time then range time based on the needs of the student and a test of 50 rounds into a full size target at varying distances from 3-15 yards. Most instructors include everything you need (fingerprints, picture etc.) Once you complete the class all you have to do is send it off along with $50. If you include everything including ammo you have about $175 invested. Instructors do vary on the quality of the course even though the outline and requirements are given to them to what to cover. In most cases for the average citizen the knowledge gained from the course is well worth more than the $175.

My point is either make the course worth taking or do away with it.

Last edited:

Edward Peruta

NRA Instructors and the information they teach

I have submitted the Torrington and Wethersfield Roll Call Memos to the NRA training unit and asked that they be sent via email or hard copy to all NRA Pistol Safety Instructors in CT.

Anyone taking a class should provide a copy to the instructor and have a discussion on the topic of Open or Conceal Carry in CT.

KIX

My club mentioned concealed carry. Was a simple matter of the webmaster not knowing.

Changed now.

Sometimes, just informing them does wonders.

Jonathan

KIX

Again, they make me proud to be a member!

Same here. I really like the club.

Plus, now I can warm up in the winter, during the week!!!

I wish more clubs and instructors were as responsive. As we have seen here, many instructors still think they know the law regarding open carry. Sad really.

I still get a kick out of the ones that seem to think I'm wrong, yet I still never got the "Rich B." treatment...... yet......

Jonathan