Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: FN Five-seveN

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia
    Posts
    24

    FN Five-seveN

    Hey guys. I have been reading the forum for a bit now and finaly posted. I have a few bucks coming up and I am seriously considering getting an FN Five-seveN. Everything I have read about the gun indicates it is pretty solid. I admit though that I have not actualy handled one but people compair the grip to an M9 which I have worked with.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    They're fun pistols to shoot, but the Real question is - -

    What use do you intend for the FiveseveN?
    Range toy?
    Self Defense?

    Have you been to FiveseveNforum.com and FNforum.net?
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 11-05-2011 at 09:16 AM.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    I have one. I like it, for what it is. It's not as accurate as my 1911 or some of my other pistols, at close range. But with its very flat trajectory, you can still hit things at 100 yards with it without even thinking about how much to hold over.

    I don't see it as a carry piece much, and wouldn't want its penetration in a typical street need, but 20 rounds in the flush-fitting magazine makes a nice truck gun, especially if you get a carbine in the same 5.7mm. I had the PS90 for a while, but that was because of circumstances other than actually wanting one. The AR57 upper is more ergonomically friendly, even if longer. Now, a little pump action carbine that uses the same Five-seveN magazines would be slicker than snot, but probably too narrow a market.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  4. #4
    Regular Member SovereignAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Posts
    795
    First thing you should ask yourself is: is 5.7mm available in the stores in your area, and if not, are you really willing to not only pay the price premium, but pay to have it shipped to you?

    5.7mm to me is the answer to a question no one in the civilian world was asking. Kinda like the .338 Lapua round. Nobody has a need for either of these rounds, but they would be ohhhhh so sweet to have-if you can afford to shoot them.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

    EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

  5. #5
    Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    546
    in all honesty. i would not carry the fiveseven...........the 5.7mm is an extremely hot round. extremely. and its a very small round. in some ballistics tests it is capable of piercing body armor.

    with that said. in a self defense situation.......its going to peel through your human target, and strike whatever is behind them. possibly peel through them as well. and so on and so on.


    NTM the five-seven is uberly expensive. and the ammo is crazy priced as well.

    but that's my personal opinion.
    Last edited by carry for myself; 11-05-2011 at 07:21 PM.
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia
    Posts
    24
    I'm not worried about over penitration. its been shown to stop pretty quick in gel and only the steel cored SS190 load will penitrate kevlar. my thoughts are basicaly this: I like the base of ammo I can keep in one mag (lets face it, I woud rather stop shooting because I ran out of BGs than ammo and I refuse to carry spare mags with me all the time) I like the fact that its easy to keep on target with successive shots (1/3 lesss recoile than 9mm) and its crazy light weight. I do admit though that this is all second hand info so as soon as I get hands on with it I may change my mind but as for right now its looking good. I wont lie though, the fact that it looks a bit like the pistol from Halo doesnt hurt either

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicMaverick View Post
    I'm not worried about over penitration. its been shown to stop pretty quick in gel and only the steel cored SS190 load will penitrate kevlar. my thoughts are basicaly this: I like the base of ammo I can keep in one mag (lets face it, I woud rather stop shooting because I ran out of BGs than ammo and I refuse to carry spare mags with me all the time) I like the fact that its easy to keep on target with successive shots (1/3 lesss recoile than 9mm) and its crazy light weight. I do admit though that this is all second hand info so as soon as I get hands on with it I may change my mind but as for right now its looking good. I wont lie though, the fact that it looks a bit like the pistol from Halo doesnt hurt either
    it looks even more like the pistols from counter strike...aka the five seven XD

    IMO it is a cool gun to have, and if you have the money, go for it. I buy a lot of guns based off the cool factor as well. The problem for me is, I love to shoot all my guns and with just common calibers such as 9mm and .40 I find it to be expensive as hell. Now throw in a gun with some odd ball hard to find caliber and you've got yourself a sweet ass gun and an empty wallet. Cool gun, but because of the caliber I would not recommend it.

    My 2 cents.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...e-with-an-FN57

    There's the thread I created awhile back about this gun. Figured it would be easier to just post the thread than try to relay the same info.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    The ammo only has it's media-routsing effect when fired from the PS90. Out of the Five seveN handgun, it is roughly equivalent t the .22 magnum.

    That's why Kel Tec invented this: http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/

    Gun is cheaper, ammo is cheaper. Same downrange outcome...

    If you're buying it because you thin it's cool, well... whatever. It's cool to send me $1000 for no reason, too!
    Last edited by ixtow; 11-06-2011 at 12:51 AM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia
    Posts
    24
    I knew there would be some haters out there about the calibre. My views of the current administration asside though, if its good enough for the secret service it must be doing something right. Thanks for the thoughts though.

  11. #11
    Regular Member SovereignAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    The ammo only has it's media-routsing effect when fired from the PS90. Out of the Five seveN handgun, it is roughly equivalent t the .22 magnum.

    That's why Kel Tec invented this: http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/

    Gun is cheaper, ammo is cheaper. Same downrange outcome...

    If you're buying it because you thin it's cool, well... whatever. It's cool to send me $1000 for no reason, too!
    This fact piqued my interest, and from what data I can find, this is true if you double the length of the barrel for .22 Magnum.

    Just gathering the numbers from wikipedia, .22 WMR manages 439 Joules from a 24" barrel. 5.7mm manages 534 Joules from a 10" barrel. All things being equal (and by things I mean barrels), 5.7mm is still going to have more than double the muzzle energy.

    Quote Originally Posted by StoicMaverick View Post
    I knew there would be some haters out there about the calibre. My views of the current administration asside though, if its good enough for the secret service it must be doing something right. Thanks for the thoughts though.
    No one is saying that the caliber isn't any good. Just that the properties that make it popular for LEO or military applications don't really carry over into the civilian world. Yes, it's powerful enough to take down someone, yes it'll penetrate BA with the right load, and yeah it's got light recoil. But when you bring the civilian round to civilian applications, the only advantage you're left with (besides maybe capacity, but there are some good sized 9mms that have about the same capacity) is the light recoil. And unless you're just really sensitive to recoil, I couldn't justify the price premium on that alone.

    Now, if we're bringing coolness factor to the table, that's another story. The gun is pretty rare, and pretty cool looking (or unique), and that makes it a conversation piece. If that and the low recoil are worth the price premium, I say go for it.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

    EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

  12. #12
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713
    I think it is terrible that we are restricted in the type of ammo that we can use. There is increasing use of body armor by criminals. If we were allowed to use the ammunition intended for the Five-seveN, then I think it would be a great self-defense gun. As it is, the main advantage the FiveseveN has is the flat trajectory. To me, a disadvantage is that the FiveseveN is going to generate a lot of noise, increasing the amount of hearing loss. Many 9mm handguns hold 20 rounds flush fit.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    First thing you should ask yourself is: is 5.7mm available in the stores in your area, and if not, are you really willing to not only pay the price premium, but pay to have it shipped to you?

    5.7mm to me is the answer to a question no one in the civilian world was asking. Kinda like the .338 Lapua round. Nobody has a need for either of these rounds, but they would be ohhhhh so sweet to have-if you can afford to shoot them.
    Actually, 5.7 ammo can be had vastly cheaper online if you seek to buy it in case quantity, in which instance shipping cost is spread out substantially. It can be had at about the cost of .40 S&W practice ammo if you look around... But, keep in mind that the couple of loads which are available are also effectively your SD ammo of choice--premium 9mm, .40 and .45 defensive loads often cost about a buck a shot at retail price. Many retail shops are also stocking it, at that price premium.

    I'd really like a Five Seven to play with, but the damn things are too expensive for my current handgun budget.

    As for .338 Lapua, I kind of take issue.... Disclaimer, I own a .338 LM rifle, and roll my own ammo to keep it affordable. Lots of people want big boomers, and .338 LM has found a niche amongst long range practical shooters. Heck, both Remington and Weatherby (wanna talk expensive?) followed Lapua's lead and made comparable .338 super-magnum class rifles of their own--but about 10 years later... Though, as I've heard, neither has the inherit consistency with heavy bullets of the .338 LM.

    As for 'need'...what? I might only need a pointy stick, but where's the fun in that

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    I think it is terrible that we are restricted in the type of ammo that we can use. There is increasing use of body armor by criminals.
    I'm only suggesting that you restrict ammo to what might actually help... No, I'm not even suggesting a restriction.

    The armor penetrating ammo for the P90 is only armor penetrating when fired from the P90. If you can even get it... If you have that much money...

    I'm suggesting that you not kid yourself about the hype... I'm not 'hating' on it; I just prefer Science and Math over being a fanboy....

    You'd be better off with 357sig or 10mm. And you can buy 1 of each in Glock flavor and still have money left over.... Polymer frame and all... That is an apples to apples comparison if there ever was one. You can even get those 30rd mags for the G31....
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    The armor penetrating ammo for the P90 is only armor penetrating when fired from the P90....

    I'm suggesting that you not kid yourself about the hype... I'm not 'hating' on it; I just prefer Science and Math over being a fanboy....
    The MV difference with the SS190 ammo out of the P90 vs the 5-7 is reported to be something on the order of 200fps, and they say it can penetrate a level 3 vest at 200m out of the P90. 2150fps for the pistol, and 2350 for the P90. I'd say it could certianly penetrate the same vest at 25m out of the pistol.

    Anyway, it doesn't matter, because although it would be legal to fire the AP cartridge out of the carbine, it would be way illegal to fire it out of the handgun due to the steel core, even if you could find it and buy it.

  16. #16
    Regular Member SovereignAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by CO-Joe View Post
    Actually, 5.7 ammo can be had vastly cheaper online if you seek to buy it in case quantity, in which instance shipping cost is spread out substantially. It can be had at about the cost of .40 S&W practice ammo if you look around... But, keep in mind that the couple of loads which are available are also effectively your SD ammo of choice--premium 9mm, .40 and .45 defensive loads often cost about a buck a shot at retail price. Many retail shops are also stocking it, at that price premium.

    I'd really like a Five Seven to play with, but the damn things are too expensive for my current handgun budget.

    As for .338 Lapua, I kind of take issue.... Disclaimer, I own a .338 LM rifle, and roll my own ammo to keep it affordable. Lots of people want big boomers, and .338 LM has found a niche amongst long range practical shooters. Heck, both Remington and Weatherby (wanna talk expensive?) followed Lapua's lead and made comparable .338 super-magnum class rifles of their own--but about 10 years later... Though, as I've heard, neither has the inherit consistency with heavy bullets of the .338 LM.

    As for 'need'...what? I might only need a pointy stick, but where's the fun in that
    I was not aware of the online deals. But like you said, those are your SD shots. Plinking for cheap with FMJ is not an option.

    As for .338, I didn't mean to slight the round at all. It has its usefulness-extreme distance hunting. But here in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, you'd have to be in JUST the right geography to be able to see and safely shoot at anything farther away than a few hundred yards. The mountains and trees simply block your view of anything farther away. Same goes for rifle ranges. I've never seen one, even on private property, that goes for more than 300 yards before you either run into trees or someone else's property. So for us, anything more than .308 or .300 WSM is overkill.

    For those of you lucky enough to have the geography to take advatange of .338's extreme range, or to travel to those places, I am extremely jealous. I am not, however, jealous of your ammo expense, which is why I'd happily take a .50 BMG rifle if I were so lucky.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

    EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    I was not aware of the online deals. But like you said, those are your SD shots. Plinking for cheap with FMJ is not an option.

    As for .338, I didn't mean to slight the round at all. It has its usefulness-extreme distance hunting. But here in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, you'd have to be in JUST the right geography to be able to see and safely shoot at anything farther away than a few hundred yards. The mountains and trees simply block your view of anything farther away. Same goes for rifle ranges. I've never seen one, even on private property, that goes for more than 300 yards before you either run into trees or someone else's property. So for us, anything more than .308 or .300 WSM is overkill.

    For those of you lucky enough to have the geography to take advatange of .338's extreme range, or to travel to those places, I am extremely jealous. I am not, however, jealous of your ammo expense, which is why I'd happily take a .50 BMG rifle if I were so lucky.
    I was just yankin your crank a bit ... But yeah, even here there's only a few member-supported ranges in my area which have out to 1000 yards, and while it requires some marksmanship, honestly, it's barely stretching its legs at that distance. I have to go to BLM land out in the desert to go further.

    Anyway, my .338 LM match grade load only costs about $0.80/shot if you don't count brass, without buying in quantity. If I only loaded virgin brass, it would be about $3.50/shot. Most factory .300 Win Mag loads are $30/20, or about $1.50/round, and a lot of people don't seem to worry about burning those up--so I don't think it's too bad in the grand scheme of things.

  18. #18
    Activist Member carsontech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    531
    I would carry the shizznit out of a five-seven. I would even carry the shizznit out the Keltec PMR-30. Yes, I would carry the PMR-30, regardless of all the crap that's spewed about .22 mag in a pistol.

    Like I said, I would carry the Five-Seven... if I had the money. I am really probably going to get a PMR-30 early next year, if I can find one. I would rock it for SD purposes, but not all the time. I'm still partial to the mainstream SD calibers, but I think .22 mag can get the job done, especially because of the low recoil helping out with better shot placement...




    Last edited by carsontech; 11-07-2011 at 08:13 PM.

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by carsontech View Post
    if I had the money.
    I guess if I already owned a G31, and a G20, I would... but I can't see it being high on the list of priorities... There are dozens of other guns that make more sense and cost less.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  20. #20
    Activist Member carsontech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    I guess if I already owned a G31, and a G20, I would... but I can't see it being high on the list of priorities... There are dozens of other guns that make more sense and cost less.
    Truff. To calrify, I guess I should have said, "If I was a rich B$&ch, and I had all the other guns on my wishlist..." That was my original thought. I just fail at transposing my thoughts and ideas to "writing".
    Last edited by carsontech; 11-15-2011 at 07:24 PM.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by carsontech View Post
    I would even carry the shizznit out the Keltec PMR-30. Yes, I would carry the PMR-30, regardless of all the crap that's spewed about .22 mag in a pistol.
    Totally going to be the next handgun I buy, if I can ever find one. I'm actually a longtime fan of the .22WMR. Definitely a underrated and over-bashed caliber. And with 30 rounds, any loss of stopping power (most folks would be surprised how much damage the .22WMR can do anyway) compared to a major caliber can be made up for basically instantaneously due to a practically bottomless mag and practically nonexistent recoil.

    I think the PMR-30 would be a great hiking gun (especially in NoVA where dogs and two-legged critters are a much more realistic threat than bears), and I'd also carry it if I really wasn't in the mood to carry spare mags, which I admit is happening more frequently these days.
    Last edited by marshaul; 11-07-2011 at 10:38 PM.

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    I'd be all over the PMR-30 if it didn't look like a cross between a sex toy and a waffle iron. I just can't get past how ugly I think it is.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran EXTREMEOPS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Escondido CA
    Posts
    248

    Must be almost made of gold lol

    Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    in all honesty. i would not carry the fiveseven...........the 5.7mm is an extremely hot round. extremely. and its a very small round. in some ballistics tests it is capable of piercing body armor.

    with that said. in a self defense situation.......its going to peel through your human target, and strike whatever is behind them. possibly peel through them as well. and so on and so on.


    NTM the five-seven is uberly expensive. and the ammo is crazy priced as well.

    but that's my personal opinion.
    FN Herstal Centerfire Ammunition SS195LF 10700012, 5.7 MM X 28 MM, Lead Free Hollow Point, 27 GR, 2300 fps, 40 Boxes, 2000 Rds only $993 Jeez and I thought 45 cal ammo was getting expensive
    "There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

    - General George S. Patton, Jr.

  24. #24
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    I'd be all over the PMR-30 if it didn't look like a cross between a sex toy and a waffle iron. I just can't get past how ugly I think it is.
    You're not kidding..... That thing is sooooo awkward looking.

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    I'd be all over the PMR-30 if it didn't look like a cross between a sex toy and a waffle iron. I just can't get past how ugly I think it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    You're not kidding..... That thing is sooooo awkward looking.
    You guys aren't looking at the PMR-30 under the right light.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2KZM...eature=related

    Last edited by marshaul; 11-08-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •