• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What penalty does DOJ face if they dont get your permit processed in the times stated

Da Po-lock

If they don't then its breaking the law.
Then who is responsible ?

We all have to follow the law or face consequences, will the DOJ be "above the law" somehow if this happens ?

Anybody know ?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
It has no teeth. Same thing that happens when local communities scoff at 66.0409. Same thing that happens when we don't give ID to cops that demand it when we aren't driving or (now) using our CWL.

ETA: So nothing, unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

Worst thing that'll happen is the bad publicity.

I agree totally. ButrRegardless of what the penalty could or would be, the DOJ would not face it BECAUSE all they would have to do is petition the court for an extension just like the GAB did in processing and certifying the recall petitions. The judge will ask how much time they need and they would probably get it.

KBCraig

With sixteen years' experience at issuing CHLs, the Texas DPS still draws remarks of wonder when they issue one within the statutory time limit.

It's like local government gun bans in buildings or parks: totally unenforceable, but it's not illegal for them to post meaningless notices claiming that guns are banned, when they're not. There is no penalty for doing so.

apjonas

Right without a Real Remedy

If Wisconsin law allows, you could seek a writ of mandamus from a judge. Then failure to comply could result in a contempt charge. Of course, by the time everything is sorted out, the permit would have been issued. This is one of those times when the individual suffers for the greater good (such as not having to hire enough people to ensure timely issuance). That costs $, which everybody would have to bear (well, sort of).

It's like the requirement to clear snow from a sidewalk that belongs to the city. Unconstitutional in my opinion but the alternative is for the city to hire temporary snow shovelers (with an increase in taxes). A different way of spreading the burden. Which way is better is a matter of perspective.

Last edited: