• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA Law Banning Loaded Firearms in Public Faces Legal Challenge in Federal Court

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
http://newsblaze.com/story/20111105130240zzzz.nb/topstory.html

A good News Blaze story on fighting the new California open carry ban.

Let the court challenges to California's new law banning the open carry of loaded or unloaded firearms (and laws banning of any type of carry of any firearm) begin! :D

Where is the byline? Who wrote this and the analysis of the SCOTUS ruling as it applies to Heller and McDonald?

This is NOT journalism. I believe this is marketing ploy to garner more financial support for a Quixotic, ill-timed, and ill-advised lawsuit. I would be real surprised if this wasn't authored by the litigant.

oc4ever

short on money?

Maybe the ACLU or the "Brady Bunch" will donate lawyers time and money to help this suit along.

Robin47

http://newsblaze.com/story/20111105130240zzzz.nb/topstory.html

A good News Blaze story on fighting the new California open carry ban.

Let the court challenges to California's new law banning the open carry of loaded or unloaded firearms (and laws banning of any type of carry of any firearm) begin! :D

Well I think its a great challenge they might have to appeal, but sooner then later California will have to answer
to the true Constitutionality of PC 12031 and AB 144.
Other wise California has gone all to he$$.

Robin47

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Well I think its a great challenge they might have to appeal, but sooner then later California will have to answer
to the true Constitutionality of PC 12031 and AB 144.
Other wise California has gone all to he$$.

Robin47

Yes, it's a great challenge.

But not in this place. (Filed in the wrong district- this alone may have doomed the effort to failure.)
Not at this particular time. (Filed before a genuine right to carry case has resolved the absence of a right to carry in California.)
and not this litigant. (One who actually has standing, that can actually fund their own defense, and have earned the widespread support of genuine gun rights advocacy groups.)
and not this attorney. (Who has no previous wins in the field of the 2A and appears to have been sanctioned for conduct.)

Gundude

First we need SCOTUS to rule the "most notably in the home" doesn't mean "only in the home". Then the flood gates can be opened.

DoomGoober

I agree that the litigant and attorney for these cases should be carefully chosen. However, this is the "correct" way to get the law overturned. We need a concerted effort to find the right litigant and the right attorney. We need someone who has standing and a pristine background. Ideally, they should already have funding, but maybe a community fundraising effort will work as well.

BTW, ACLU bashing might be fun but state ACLU chapters have actually defended firearm owners in the past when there were significant privacy or other civil liberty issues. For example, Nevada ACLU successfully argued that a seizure of firearms was an illegal seizure. The official stance of the ACLU is that if there are other civil rights issues around gun control/gun registration ACLU will defend gun owners.

The ACLU also doesn't actively litigate or even support gun control. They removed the footnote saying they supported gun control from their statement official stance (http://www.lectlaw.com/files/con11.htm). However, their official stance is also that Heller was a mistake (http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice_...law-reform_immigrants-rights/second-amendment)

So, while the ACLU isn't pro gun, they aren't actively anti-gun and they have helped gun owners when their other rights were being infringed. I'd say when it comes to guns, the ACLU is, at worst, slightly negative in stance but in practice, slightly positive.

Last edited: