Thread: Reaching for wallet/keys

Reaching for wallet/keys

May be a question that has been answered, if so pls delete the thread.

I am left handed, keep keys in front left pocket, holster on left hip, and wallet in left rear pocket. See my prob? Do I go back to being a right-hand shooter as originally taught, or do I keep reaching for keys/wallet in the general direction of my weapon? Or go back to CC and no one would know the difference?

Founder's Club Member
    Right handed people have the same problem. Only, the sides are reversed.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Reaching near a gun is not reaching for a gun. Anybody who can't tell the difference should maybe not be allowed in public.

Think about it. You reach in the same general direction as your gun. But, by the time an observer could overreact, your hand has already passed the gun and arrived at your wallet pocket or keys pocket.

The one exception would be a cop during a detention. I would move just a little slowly. Don't wanta get shot by the partner behind me who has already illegally drawn his gun when there was no need, and over reacts by not noticing you didn't actually draw your gun.
    Last edited by Citizen; 11-05-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbuff View Post
    May be a question that has been answered, if so pls delete the thread.

I am left handed, keep keys in front left pocket, holster on left hip, and wallet in left rear pocket. See my prob? Do I go back to being a right-hand shooter as originally taught, or do I keep reaching for keys/wallet in the general direction of my weapon? Or go back to CC and no one would know the difference?
    My advice. It's not a problem. Just reach for your wallet as you would if you weren't carrying a gun. I have carried my wallet and pistol strong-side for several years without an issue. If you are confronted by an LEO you might want to tell him what you're doing if he asks for ID. (Let's assume he has legitimate RAS for the purpose of this answer). Shoot with whatever hand you are most proficient.

Why would you go back to CC? That's just silly and I mean that in a nice way. Were you expecting someone on THIS site to tell you to CC?...
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by sbuff View Post
    wallet in left rear pocket. See my prob?
    Yeah, you're carrying your wallet in your rear pocket, the front pocket is a much better/safer place.
    Safe yourself yrs of backpain and making a pick pockets day.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    Yeah, you're carrying your wallet in your rear pocket, the front pocket is a much better/safer place.
    Safe yourself yrs of backpain and making a pick pockets day.
    Because there are so many pickpockets out there...Aladdin, Artful Dodger, . I wouldn't worry about that too much. I you are getting pickpocketed you'd better work on your situational awareness. To me it's more of a pain to dig something out of my front pocket.

Gun right hip, wallet left pocket, keys left side loop of belt. I am right hand shooter.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 11-05-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

If I was carrying on the hip, I'd have the wallet in the chest pocket. When I back pocket carry the wallet, I usually pat both back pockets looking for it - want to avoid that. When driving, have insurance, permit license all ready to produce in a packet. Hell, practice it a couple times.

$.02
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

An Option for ID Carry

When I am carrying, I place my driver's license (and, when needed, my CHP) in a shirt pocket.

Thus, if I have to produce ID and/or CHP for a LEO, my hands are nowhere near my firearm.

Just a thought ...

My keys hang on a small carabiner from the belt. No confusion there.

when I can, i carry wallet in chest pocket, when not, in Right back pocket, cell phone in front left pocket, and keys in right front pocket. I am a RH man, and carry the gun on my right hip, and 2 extra Mags on my left Hip. I never thought of someone mistaking me for drawing my weapon when i really reach for my wallet. On the other hand, the only time i use my wallet is when im at a cash register buying beer or something. At that point, it is a given that I have to get my wallet out.

Well maybe not around here, in larger more crowded places it happens frequently.
    I've seen some of the best operate, it's even hard to tell what their doing on video.

Still save your back move it to the front.
    Last edited by Marco; 11-06-2011 at 06:20 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Tactically, you should always carry your wallet on the opposite side of your gun.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Tactically, you should always carry your wallet on the opposite side of your gun.
    I trust your opinion as a licensed instructor, but what is the reasoning behind it?
    Last edited by thebigsd; 11-06-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I trust your opinion as a licensed instructor, but what is the reasoning behind it?
    ProShooter may be certifiable, but as far as we know nobody has ever bothered to pay the $2.00 for his license.

As for your question, a moment's pondering would help you understand why you don't want your hand passing near your gun - or at least not when anywhere near a ferry.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    If you are carrying concealed, you don't want your cover garment to move or be brushed away, exposing your gun....

Also, if you are being robbed and reaching for your wallet, the bad guy's focus is on the wallet. Getting your wallet out now becomes a distraction technique while you draw your gun....he'll never see it coming.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

If you are carrying concealed, you don't want your cover garment to move or be brushed away, exposing your gun....

Also, if you are being robbed and reaching for your wallet, the bad guy's focus is on the wallet. Getting your wallet out now becomes a distraction technique while you draw your gun....he'll never see it coming.
    Gotcha. I guess OC negates the first point. The second point has some serious merit. I never thought of it that way. Thanks!!!!!!!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I'm right handed and carry just forward of the point of my hip. This makes it difficult to get into my right front pocket where I carry my pocket knife...but it's never been a problem.

I carry my wallet and my ID case in my left rear pocket and my money in my left front pocket.

But, if you're Open Carrying, you don't get robbed in the first place...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    Right handed shooter here.

firearm: 3:00
    keys: 9:00
    wallet: left rear pocket
    phone & extra mag: left front pocket
    pocketknife: clipped to inside of front right pocket

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    But, if you're Open Carrying, you don't get robbed in the first place...
    Really?

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/...wtonPatton.htm

hhmm, guess I was mistaken.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Both appear to be cases of poor SA and lack of training.

Basic permit training will not compensate for either (though your defensive handgun course might) and the idea from the first victim that he will not OC anymore because he was robbed is laughable. What would he have done if he was CC? Whipped it out?

Doubtful. Both of these victims sound like fail to me.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The FFX report is bogus as myself and another OCDO member contacted FFX Sully district and were told the alleged victim wasn't really a victim but a actor in the crime or alleged crime.

As to the WI incident there's nothing that show's that this wasn't a stunt by folks motivated to bring CC to WI or stop OC from gaining ground.

So yes, you might still be mistaken.
    Last edited by Marco; 11-07-2011 at 06:40 PM.

~Alan Korwin