• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Huntington Mall, Gabriel Brothers, Ashland Mall Clear!

neuroblades

After reading someone's post recently about a mall in Paducah and their unfortunately encounter there and their subsequent contact with the mall owner's; I decided to test out the Huntington Mall in West Virginia, a mall that's owned by the same company.

Good news, I did an open carry expedition in the Huntington Mall and didn't have a single encounter with security or LEO's. I never had as much as single query about my sidearm while shopping the Huntington Mall today.

Good news as well, I had no bad encounters at Gabriel Brothers either! We shopped around for well over n hour and a half and there were no security guards, no police, no managers, NOTHING! :)

And of course, Ashland Mall was smooth sailing as well.

09jisaac

The ashland mall has a sign up displaying the rules. And one of the rules are no firearms.

The mall in cannonsburg, the kyova mall, I was stopped and told not to have my gun. I haven't been there in a while, but when I was there there was no signs saying anything about firearms.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Ashland town center policy- No Guns, kyova mall in Boyd county policy- whatever state law allows, and not sure if you know or not but west Virginia AG issued an opinion that OC is only for west Virginia residents. So if you are ever contacted by Leo in WV you could run into some problems.

neuroblades

The ashland mall has a sign up displaying the rules. And one of the rules are no firearms.

The mall in cannonsburg, the kyova mall, I was stopped and told not to have my gun. I haven't been there in a while, but when I was there there was no signs saying anything about firearms.

I've never seen any signage in the Ashalnd Mall and have OC'ed there more than a few times, the same is true in Kyova Mall but other than the guitar shop, I've no other reason to go there these days but received nothing but kudos for OC'ing from a merchant. ;)

neuroblades

Ashland town center policy- No Guns, kyova mall in Boyd county policy- whatever state law allows, and not sure if you know or not but west Virginia AG issued an opinion that OC is only for west Virginia residents. So if you are ever contacted by Leo in WV you could run into some problems.

Well, it seems that you're correct about West Virginia. *LOL* I was going to request siting of merit but upon closer research, you're correct in reference to WV.

It looks asthough we need to have a correction made to OCDO maps in reference to West Virginia.

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
It looks asthough we need to have a correction made to OCDO maps in reference to West Virginia.

From what I've learned, the AG's opinion doesn't carry the weight of the law. Their is no statute that says open carrying a handgun in WV is prohibited if you are a non-resident.

From what I remember, the AG was contacted and he changed his verbiage to insinuate that law enforcement "deems" that open carry only applies to WV residents. Basically, it could mean a LEO could try enforcing a law that doesn't exist.

Fortunately, when my wife and I OC in WV, as non-residents, we never get hassled by any LEOs.

Maybe we need a non-resident to help be an example in case-law. I'm not sure how that would work, though, since there is no law supporting the WV LEAs in there decision that OC only applies to residents.

My wife is in WV, as we speak, exercising her right to carry openly all around the North East corner. She has a video/audio recording device for anything she might encounter. My bet is that the device comes back with no incidents recorded on it, as we've never had trouble there, even open carrying in front of LEOs in Martinsburg.

Last edited:

09jisaac

I've never seen any signage in the Ashalnd Mall and have OC'ed there more than a few times, the same is true in Kyova Mall but other than the guitar shop, I've no other reason to go there these days but received nothing but kudos for OC'ing from a merchant. ;)

The rules are posted in all the mall entrances. It’s a large framed paper with medium sized writing, you have to be close to read it. But I have never been stopped there.....

But the last time I went to kyova I stopped on my way to borders to get a movie ticket. A young boy, 4yrs old or so, noticed my gun and asked if it was real. I told him yes and that was the last I said. He brought attention to my gun but the woman still sold me a ticket. So when I came back I noticed a security guard standing out by the parking lot looking for someone and I figure it was me. He told me I wasn't allowed to have guns and that came from the property manager. I asked if I could just leave it in my truck and go into my movie. He told me yes and that he would watch my truck. The movie sucked and when I walked back outside he asked me to stay around until the sheriff came to talk to me. I knew he had no legal grounds to detain me but I figured it would be best to stay and talk. It's not too good of an idea to be perceived as fleeing, especially since it was known that I was in possession of a firearm.

30 min later Sheriff deputy Lakes pulls up and after a 5 min conversation, during which I was sure I was going to get some steel bracelets, he was talking about how he supports our cause and how more people should be carrying and even told me something to the point of "You and your gun are welcome to Boyd county anytime."

Badger Johnson

30 min later Sheriff deputy Lakes pulls up and after a 5 min conversation, during which I was sure I was going to get some steel bracelets, he was talking about how he supports our cause and how more people should be carrying and even told me something to the point of "You and your gun are welcome to Boyd county anytime."

I was going to compliment you on your courage and your convictions, but a 30 minute wait? Compliments on your patience and endurance. :)

09jisaac

My girlfriend and I was both carrying. I figured if the officer had to chase us down he would already be on the edge, one wrong move and she could catch a bullet she don't deserve.

The law was called because, once again, our age. She was 18 at the time and I was 20 (19 and 20 now). The security guard said that his bosses called but if it was up to him he wouldn't call. He kept saying something like "You've already waited 10 minutes, I can't ask you to wait any longer" but we just stood there talking to him. He seemed like a good guy, and even admitted to carrying guns.

When Lakes got there he made me walk with him and said the security guard called, and that he was only there to check things out. So I left happy that both my girlfriend and I were not in trouble.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
That security gaurd Works for bwh security, who is contracted through the mall, he had no authority to make you disarm, if it ever happens again walk him to an entrance, where there are framed posters stating mall policy just like the town center, however it states firearms allowed if authorized by law, so he had no idea what he was speaking of, he was a wanna be trying to act like he had authority. one of the owners of bwh is a county deputy, so I doubt his call even went through dispatch. Most of bcso's are level headed, good guys that have no problem with us exercising our rights. Some of apd's not so finest, an a few state troopers like to hassle, but when they realize you know more than them they tend to leave you alone. Im gonna contact mall manager for kyova and ask if they told bwh to not allow armed patrons. If they concur, then they are breaching there own policy, and I will try and remedy the problem, the main thing is we don't need security stating information that doesn't come directly from policy.

09jisaac

That security gaurd Works for bwh security, who is contracted through the mall, he had no authority to make you disarm, if it ever happens again walk him to an entrance, where there are framed posters stating mall policy just like the town center, however it states firearms allowed if authorized by law, so he had no idea what he was speaking of, he was a wanna be trying to act like he had authority. one of the owners of bwh is a county deputy, so I doubt his call even went through dispatch. Most of bcso's are level headed, good guys that have no problem with us exercising our rights. Some of apd's not so finest, an a few state troopers like to hassle, but when they realize you know more than them they tend to leave you alone. Im gonna contact mall manager for kyova and ask if they told bwh to not allow armed patrons. If they concur, then they are breaching there own policy, and I will try and remedy the problem, the main thing is we don't need security stating information that doesn't come directly from policy.

I would greatly appriciate that. I have only been to the movies once since. That was my favorite movie theater but I figure if they don't allow me my right to protect myself then I won't allow them to have my money.

neuroblades

Research

Well, it seems that the lady and I will be visiting Ashland again this weekend, what better time to stop in Border's and to research the "signs" in the Ashland Mall and perhaps another visit to Gabriel Brothers later this evening might be in order as well. *LOL* If anyone in the Ashland area has information as to where that "sign" prohibiting OC might be located, please post and I'll look into it while we're there. We'll be leaving out of here around 12 noon today. I'll check back before we leave.

09jisaac

In the Ashland mall the sign is in the entrance, and probably every entrance. If I recall correctly, it is a large framed sign with a list of rules. So its nothing you can read from across the room. It prohibits any weapons on mall property and don't distinguish between OC and CC.

If you were referring to my post were a security guard stopped me at the KYOVA mall and told me I could only carry concealed, as of last time I was there, there were no signs. He said that they were posted all over the mall, but I walked all over the mall and couldn't find any.

neuroblades

In the Ashland mall the sign is in the entrance, and probably every entrance. If I recall correctly, it is a large framed sign with a list of rules. So its nothing you can read from across the room. It prohibits any weapons on mall property and don't distinguish between OC and CC.

If you were referring to my post were a security guard stopped me at the KYOVA mall and told me I could only carry concealed, as of last time I was there, there were no signs. He said that they were posted all over the mall, but I walked all over the mall and couldn't find any.

Thank you for the information, I'll have to check for them the next time we're down, should be in 2 or 3 weeks. We ended up leaving here around 11:45 yesterday and then we didn't even make it to the Ashalnd Mall. :( We went to Border's to look for "goodies". *lol* Then off to the military surplus store to pick up a flag that she had ordered. We didn't really have anything there to pick up or look for at the Ashland Mall and the lady wanted to venture over into the Ohio side of the river so we took the blue bridge over there then back into Huntington and to Gabriel Brothers & then CiCi's for supper. I didn't have any encounters of the bad kind (LEO type).

There was one small encounter that might be of interest to those in the Kentucky side. On the drive back from our journey last night, I had grown weary and decided to stop for a bottle of water and some cigars top help me stay awake. We stopped at the John Clark BP station that's beside the Giovanni's on the left. I have stopped in this station for various and sundry items on many of my late night drive's back from Ashland for doughnuts and have never had any issues prior. On this encounter though, the attendant was young guy in his early 20's, he was standing outside having a smoking and talking to an older gentleman. As I started in he stopped me to inform me that "I couldn't carry in there". I was rather surprised at this and falling back into my "educational role" as an OC'er, I stepped back and looked at the front of the store and not seeing any signage, I asked him why not, being that there were no signs stating as such. He said that they had supposedly been robbed 2 or 3 times as of late. We talked for a couple more minutes and then he asked if I had my CCDW and I asked what that had to do with it and he said that if I had that, it was OK to carry on. I told him that I did but that that had nothing to do with OC'ing. We talked for a few more minutes and he explained that it wasn't him personally but that the John Clark company that owned the station had a policy that there were to be no OC in the store now. He told me that he had his CCDW and they refused to allow him to carry in any shape, form or fashion. I then finished my transaction as I needed the cigars to stay awake, otherwise I would've left and headed on down the road. As I exited the station, he asked me if I'd like to see what they DID allow them to have in the event of a robbery? I, of course, couldn't resist seeing this as he had told me prior that they wouldn't allow them to have a sidearm, taser, or even a stun gun. They only thing they allowed them to have for protection, a hollow steel pipe about 10" long! *LOL*

I took this opportunity to educate him more as to the his Rights of OC in Kentucky and promised to look into this issue with the John Clark company. I also suggested that he look us up on here and join the forum.

09jisaac

I frequent a Clark's station thats only a couple hundred feet from my house.... They know me there but they have never told me I couldn't have a gun in there....

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Did you ask what your opEnly carried holstered handgun had to do with them being robbed? Or why if they're afraid of a MWG robbing them then why concealed carry is ok hut OC isn't? That makes zlotys sense. Could you please be a little more informative of this stations location? There are actually more than one John clarkea by a Giovannis. Both are very common in this area.

neuroblades

Reply Received From John Clark Oil

Being that this topic was started within a separate topic thread, I will be creating a thread for it alone, separate from this thread so that if other might need to quickly locate it without having to run a search, they can find it .

I finally received a reply from John Clark Oil the other day, I've been away a couple of days. The reply is as follows:

Ken,

We do not have a policy on guns legally carried into the stores. It just frightens our cashiers due to so many robberies that occur in our business.

I apologize for the misunderstanding and we will talk to our employees on this issue.

Thanks,
Martha Humphrey
Supervisor
Clark's Pump N Shop

I have written back in reply thanking her for her clarification on this matter.

09jisaac

I visited the KYOVA mall yesterday to see a movie and their rule states "Unless prohibited by law",(I remember that part word for word, the rest is paraphrased) no visitor can be in possession of a firearm on mall property.

It don't say you can be in possession of a firearm if you're within the law, it says only the people that they can't legally disarm can be.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I visited the KYOVA mall yesterday to see a movie and their rule states "Unless prohibited by law",(I remember that part word for word, the rest is paraphrased) no visitor can be in possession of a firearm on mall property.

It don't say you can be in possession of a firearm if you're within the law, it says only the people that they can't legally disarm can be.

Ok folks, I went to kyova mall to take a picture of this sign because some people are obviously confused, but the sign is to high! Here is what it says EXACTLY!, " unless PERMITTED by LAW, visitors can not carry deadly weapons". The emphasis on permitted and law are my own, because these are the two key words. State LAW allows us to carry
concealed if we have a cdwl, and state LAW allows us to carry openly without a license because of our constitution. People not allowed BY LAW, like felons, people under certain court orders, etc., are no permitted BY LAW to carry, therefore the malls policy also excludes such folks that would be carrying illegally. This is simply worded so people ignorant of the law won't carry, however it's easily understandable. This is feel good
wording, much like the Boyd county public library sign. Mall policy=if law allows you to carry, you can carry! Plain and simple.. Unless PERMITTED by LAW, is quite different than your incorrect quote of "unless PROHIBITED by LAW! Carry on in kyova mall!!!

Last edited: