• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Huntington Mall, Gabriel Brothers, Ashland Mall Clear!

neuroblades

Ashland Mall

Me & the lady paid a visit to Ashalnd Mall after a tiresome drive down to stop at Border's only to find out that they closed early on New Year's Eve. :( Upon approaching the front door I looked very closely for the supposed warning signs about no firearms allowed and saw nothing posted at the main front entrance. I carried on and had no encounters, I even passed a couple of mall security guys strolling along and not a single word. :)

Ya gotta love the Commonwealth! ;)

KYGlockster

Activist Member
If your looking for them they can't be missed. The ones that say you can't carry in Ashland, and the ones that say you CAN carry in kyova are at every main entrance, and about the size of a big poster. The town center doesn't actually have a sign with a gun on it, they have the no deadly weapon stipulation listed on their mall policy poster. But glad to hear you didn't get harassed, the mall security must not have noticed you were carrying, because they are total wanna be's, and would certainly stop you. I know of two on their security team that have tried numerous times to pass APD's pre employment PT test, and fail everytime. Or they could have actually hired some that don't wanna trample on folks rights..

maxjivi05

Okay, this has been killing me reading this thread...
State Law States...

"In addition, Kentucky law does not prohibit the owners of private premises from excluding persons carrying firearms. Failure to vacate private premises when asked to do so could result in a criminal trespass charge."

It's always required by the "Owner" of the property to have signs at every entrance, so if you walk to one entrace and there is a sign and you decide to try another entrance and no sign, you can walk in. Like the other day I walked in through JC Pennys no sign, walk into the mall no sign again and if told no guns permited I would of stated there is no sign stating otherwise and if they want to restrict OC'ing or CC'ing they are required to have signs posted at "every" entrace to the building.

Like in Greenup the Old Court House you can carry all around it but at the Shierff's office there is a sign inside the courthouse leading to the office and outside leading to the office you can carry all throughout that building except the Sheriff's Office.

self preservation

State Law States...

It's always required by the "Owner" of the property to have signs at every entrance, so if you walk to one entrace and there is a sign and you decide to try another entrance and no sign, you can walk in. Like the other day I walked in through JC Pennys no sign, walk into the mall no sign again and if told no guns permited I would of stated there is no sign stating otherwise and if they want to restrict OC'ing or CC'ing they are required to have signs posted at "every" entrace to the building.

Not for sure where you got your info, but this doesn't sounds right. I don't believe that any business owner is required to post signs. If you walk in with a red shirt and the owner/manager asked you to leave because they don't allow red shirts....leave!! Last but not least, you say that "I would of stated there is no sign stating otherwise" (SIC)....Don't encourage these people to place up signs...Never give them that idea. I understand that such a response is natural..But never use the lack of a NGA sign as an argument.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
State Law States...

"In addition, Kentucky law does not prohibit the owners of private premises from excluding persons carrying firearms. Failure to vacate private premises when asked to do so could result in a criminal trespass charge."

Like in Greenup the Old Court House you can carry all around it but at the Shierff's office there is a sign inside the courthouse leading to the office and outside leading to the office you can carry all throughout that building except the Sheriff's Office.

I don't know where you have read that private establishments have to post "no weapons" signs in order to prohibit weapons, but it is false. A private establishment does not have to post a sign, but even if they do post signs on every door entering their establishment you can ignore it. The only time you must leave a place with your firearm is if you are asked to do so by management.

KRS 237.115 states government bodies that ban the carrying of CONCEALED firearms INSIDE buildings under that government's control must post signs at every entrance, but this only applies to government buildings, and not private establishments. Even if a local government or other government agency has banned the carrying of concealed firearms in buildings they control, you can still carry concealed because no criminal penalty can be attached to an ordinance that prohibits the carrying of CONCEALED firearms in the buildings they control. You can always carry openly if you would rather obey a "no concealed weapons" sign on government buildings.

If there is a sign on the Greenup county Sheriff's office that prohibits the carrying of firearms -- whether carried concealed or openly -- then it is illegal. I would go and speak to the sheriff and advise him of KRS 65.870 (take a copy with you) and ask him to remove the sign, or change it to where it only bans CONCEALED firearms. Tell the sheriff he is breaking the law by prohibiting carry in his office, and that in January he can be sued to have the sign changed, and also criminally charged with Official Misconduct. If he refuses then you can wait until January and have the courts force him to remove the sign.

Last edited:

neuroblades

State Law States...

Greetings and welcome to the OCDO forum, I assume that you're new here, noticed that this was your first post here. In Kentucky, like some other states, while businesses can and some do post signage denoting "No Firearms", those signs hold no weight of law, with the exception of the noted federal locations. I quite often carry both openly and concealed in many places, my mode of carry is determined by where I'm going, what I'm doing, and the environment of my destination. As stated, those signs hold no weight of law BUT, if a business owner or store manager notices that you're carrying and asks you to leave, just leave and refuse to do business with them! If you do not leave when asked, it can and in most chances will result in a CRIMINAL TRESPASSING charge, that's something that you do not want!

As for the locations that I have mentioned and written about in this thread and many others, I have never encountered any signage while OC'ing in most of the malls that I've been in. In fact, rarely has anyone even noticed my sidearm while I'm in open carry.

maxjivi05

Greetings and welcome to the OCDO forum, I assume that you're new here, noticed that this was your first post here. In Kentucky, like some other states, while businesses can and some do post signage denoting "No Firearms", those signs hold no weight of law, with the exception of the noted federal locations. I quite often carry both openly and concealed in many places, my mode of carry is determined by where I'm going, what I'm doing, and the environment of my destination. As stated, those signs hold no weight of law BUT, if a business owner or store manager notices that you're carrying and asks you to leave, just leave and refuse to do business with them! If you do not leave when asked, it can and in most chances will result in a CRIMINAL TRESPASSING charge, that's something that you do not want!

As for the locations that I have mentioned and written about in this thread and many others, I have never encountered any signage while OC'ing in most of the malls that I've been in. In fact, rarely has anyone even noticed my sidearm while I'm in open carry.

Okay, so the signs are for Concealed Only then... Maybe that's where I was misunderstanding my instructor & what I've read...
Thank you for clearing that up I am trying to read up on all of the rules/reg to understand but thanks for this post, so I can carry "Openly" anywhere till told to leave by upper management, if they are smart they wouldn't ask someone carrying openly to leave vs a criminal who is going to do it anyway... but guess that's the way the world works..

neuroblades

Okay, so the signs are for Concealed Only then... Maybe that's where I was misunderstanding my instructor & what I've read...
Thank you for clearing that up I am trying to read up on all of the rules/reg to understand but thanks for this post, so I can carry "Openly" anywhere till told to leave by upper management, if they are smart they wouldn't ask someone carrying openly to leave vs a criminal who is going to do it anyway... but guess that's the way the world works..

Some signs are for concealed exclusively but most are for ANY form of carry. As I see it, being that these signs hold no weight of law, if you're carrying concealed, then no one should know you're carrying. In those cases, my motto is: Carry On! *LOL*

Some examples of signage are those on the doors as you enter a bank, they make it sound asthough it is illegal to carry there which my virtue of the law, it is not! Those signs do not specify Open or Concealed Carry.

If you notice on the doors of most every Goodwill Shop, there's a sign as well, they are denoting No Concealed Carry exclusively. In that instance, I just open carry and have never had any issues while doing so.