• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet ANOTHER report of an attempted abduction in Spotsylvania

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Isn't this one of those cases where you should just give the attackers what they want?

Seriously though, I hope they put a stop to this soon. The description of the vehicle is unique, sounds like a promising lead.

Last edited:

TFred

Your point is well taken.

In reality, this is a chilling thing to be going on. I can't help but recall an incident that happened about a year and a half ago, which inspired me to somewhat grudgingly accept the fact that I probably should have an EDC gun that holds more than five shots. In the parking lot of a nearby Target store, a minivan full of adults, with some out running around, chased, cornered, corralled and "abducted" a teenage girl, all in plain view of dozens of witnesses. (You can see why I decided that "5" is not always a good number.)

Multiple reports were called in to 911, and they later stopped the car on I-95 south, I believe, and determined that it was a family, in transit during a move from up north to down south, and the teen was still fighting the idea.

A scary reminder to always be sure of the situation before you jump in with both feet, but at the same time, it could have just as easily been the beginning of a horrible crime.

There are many situations where it is completely legitimate for an adult to appear to be coaxing a child or a teen into a car. Unfortunately, there are also situations where it ends in tragedy.

TFred

Well, that's interesting... I did not insert the link to Target.com... spooky BB software indeed!
Even spookier... when I edited the post, the link was removed!

Last edited:

Patriot2A

This is worrisome, I hope it's just 1 guy who's doing all these attempted abductions, the school I use to attend, woodberry forest, had an attempted abduction there too.

JamesB

Snip...There are many situations where it is completely legitimate for an adult to appear to be coaxing a child or a teen into a car. Unfortunately, there are also situations where it ends in tragedy.

TFred

There was a case recently in the small town where I grew up, population 5,000. The police put out a warning on the local radio station about an attempted child abduction along with the standard "call crime stoppers if you have more information." About twenty minutes after it aired, the local family physician turned himself in to the police and said "I just didn't want her to have to walk home in the rain, and offered her a ride."

Charges were never filed and everything worked out fine in this case, but ...

Just put on an extra hundred pounds, makes it much harder to be forced into a van.

Baked on Grease

There was a case recently in the small town where I grew up, population 5,000. The police put out a warning on the local radio station about an attempted child abduction along with the standard "call crime stoppers if you have more information." About twenty minutes after it aired, the local family physician turned himself in to the police and said "I just didn't want her to have to walk home in the rain, and offered her a ride."

Charges were never filed and everything worked out fine in this case, but ...

Just put on an extra hundred pounds, makes it much harder to be forced into a van.

And less likely to be the target of such in the first place. Or hey, carry a gun! I am still wondering how much voltage is too much when I start letting my kid(s) wander about on their own. Since they can't carry a firearm maybe a tazer, I'll have to see if underage persons can carry.

I know... The voltage will rise and fall with our National budget. So 4.5 trillion volts at the moment. Sweet.

Sent using tapatalk

sidestreet

Just my opinion...,

but I see several likely possibilities here. First, it could be more than one person, but I'm starting to doubt it, just isn't as likely, but I definitely don't discount that it could be more than one person, and I'll keep it filed in the back of my mind. Two, whoever is doing this, must be getting pretty desperate to be saturating the area with multiple incidents, and this is not good for anyone but LE. Three, just like the DC snipers, if they become aware that LE is looking into or concentrating on the area of that "cluster" of incidents, they may decide to expand their "territory", and the media is famous (or infamous) for pointing this out. They could be coming "to a location near you!"

The point is, I believe that this person or persons will continue until they are caught. I don't believe they're going to get scared and stop outright, and all of us (especially with kids) need to be hyper aware and take notes (literally) of anything we feel that "just seems odd". Sometimes cases turn, or begin to be solved on the smallest (and often overlooked for whatever reason) bit of information. Write it down somewhere while it's still fresh in your mind and save it until you're satisfied that it may be useful or not..., and then keep it around for a while longer.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Blk97F150

Side, it appears these are unrelated incidents, there is very little to no consistancy with any of them... and I'll go even further and state that based on the information released, I don't consider some of them 'abduction attempts' at all.

One of these so-called 'abduction attempts' was nothing more then a couple guys driving past a 20yo female on the sidewalk and saying something to the effect of 'come on, lets go'.... thats it. There was no other actions at all. They didnt grab at her, they didn't chase her, nothing. Thats an adduction attempt?? To me that sounds more like some sort of cheesy teenage pickup line. LINK

That said, a couple of the reported incidents are VERY concerning. In one case an 8yo was approached and actually chased by a man. Totally different circumstances, totally different details, different victim characteristics, etc.

Overall, I think the local media (The Free Lance Fishwrapper... the one that used to post CHP permit applications every month....) has blown some of it out of proportion and tried to make it sound like there were/are many more 'abduction attempts' then there actually were by combining unrelated incidents.

Why? Did I mention that the Sheriffs race in Spotsyl'tucky.... where many of these 'attempts' occurred... is a very tight three way race? The quasi incumbent is the current #2 man in the sheriffs department and has been acting as the 'face man' for the department in the media. I wonder how many voters may have changed their votes because they 'didn't feel safe' under the current sheriffs department because off all of these 'abduction attempts'? Just sayin.... :uhoh:

Badger Johnson

Are people even reading the reports? It's been a different set of persons each time. Once it was three guys in a car, once, reported as two Hispanic males.

I think it's copy-cats.

Plus, abductions by a group? Someone will talk.

sidestreet

Thanks for the link Blk97F150...,

this just happens to be one of my most sensitive subjects. It would be fair to say that I am SUPER sensitive about abductions and missing children. It is one of my worst nightmares, and although I offered only a few opinions, as I said, I don't discount anything.

I was waiting for my daughter's bus just last week when a small red pickup with two young males pulled over and stopped just in front of where my daughter's bus usually stops. They appeared to be waiting for something, but just when her bus popped over the rise they peeled out down the street too fast for me to get a license plate number. A young lady out for a jog with her canine friend also noticed the scene and asked if I saw what took place. I said yes I did and I have a partial description. I then spoke with the bus driver and she explained that the two young men were former riders of hers and that they had been following her bus and "carrying on", and get this now, she had one of her riders text the pickup's driver and tell him to stop what they were doing because he was upsetting the children. That's when they decided to peel out and leave them alone.

Yesterday, there was an item in the news about an 18 year old in Chesterfield that had been arrested for approaching and grabbing at some younger girls in their neighborhood or something on that order. IT JUST NEVER, EVER STOPS!@^^#!%&(*$^##@&!!!!!!!!!!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.