• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder rig..

j4l

Got the main bits cut to size and dyed tonite.. will attach the hardware, and assemble it tommorow.. hoping it turns out as well as planned.. ;)

sr004.jpg

sr005.jpg

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Man, you're just making all kinds of stuff now. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Last edited:

j4l

ya, gets a bit addictive lol.
got this, plus 3 more knives on the bench to be made, sheaths for each, the beginnings of a thigh-drop holster rig as well, and a Walnut jewelry box for the wife.
And, as if this isnt enough, she's asking for 2 nightstands, a tv/entertainment-center and a bookcase- all in Cherry, to be built lol. :rolleyes:
At this rate, I'll never get back around to building my guitars lol.

More pics-hopefully of the finished rig- tommorow.

Last edited:

j4l

Sweet! Turned out rather nice. Just finished assembling it- am now just fiddling with the adjustments to get it to sit just right for my height, etc. Fairly comfy, complete freedom of movement of the arms,etc. and doesnt bind when bending or twisting around.

One thing Im going to modify right off the bat though, is the holster portion. I should have figured out a way to muck around with angles before assembling but.. figuring this all out on the fly, so..
Going to mod the holster portion for a vertical -or at least near-vert. angle (muzzle-down), rather than horizontal (grip facing forward) carry.

For a smaller,more compact auto, the horizontal would probably be just about right-but for a full-size .45 the grip extends too far forward, and prints a big lump underneath jackets and the like, no matter how I adjust the rest of the rig.. Results may vary, of course, for larger people, but for me.. :rolleyes:

Pics tonite when I get home, I think..

j4l

Completed- minus modding the holster for vertical-carry, and I need to make the mag pouch for this rig- (half-considering making a combo mag pouch/sheath for one of my knives for that)

sr1001.jpg

sr1003.jpg

sr1002.jpg

sr1006.jpg

j4l

Why, ty, sir. :monkey
Much more to come as I continue my binge lol

The one Im considering making the combo sheath for, is my smaller version of my full-size knife.

pugjr0002.jpg

j4l

Well, I may do that at some point, but wouldnt clog this with it-maybe via PM or something.

I have been making knives and sheaths so far for some folks I know, including some of my larger knives to some SF folks across the way,and another fellow who's a tactical officer with an LE dept in Cali.
But, I mainly started doing all this for myself, and a lack of satisfaction with what I can get "off the shelf" , so to speak.Once I had shown it to some of the buds mentioned above, they asked for some for them, and it all just kind of grew from there..

I'm a one-man "shop" with limited tools and materials, and Im mostly figuring out/improvising these things as they come to me lol. For the moment, Im already back-logged for about the next month or so, so wait times can be a few weeks for some things, as few as a few days for others.
Picking up speed as I develop my processes though..

Last edited:

j4l

wow....

I envy your skill.

How long have you been doing leather work?

Lol. Less than 6 months, I think? And totally figuring it out as I go, from scratch. Posted my 1st sheaths/holsters a few months back.
Whole thing came about for 2 reasons-
1) Couldnt find a LEATHER holster for my 845 that I liked- so decided I wanted to make my own, fit to my pistol.
2) Had built a couple of large fighting knives- but they have a non-standard blade-shape/profile (leaf-shape/spear point) and could'nt for the life
of me find one that fit it properly, off-the-shelf. Sooo... built my own.
So, ever since, I've been building my own sheaths, holsters, belts, mag pouches, wallets, etc.

Last edited:

j4l

That looks really good!

Ty sir.

Can make what you're after, I think, though the holster wouldnt be form-fitted to that specific pistol, as I have nothing to mold it to, or pattern it on. Would be based on a generic/frame-size format. It can be done left or right-side draw, and vertical or horizontal carry on the rig.
I'd have to do it after the holidays though, as Im booked-solid getting a couple knives out for customers, and christmas gifts that Im making.

j4l

Reminds me, BigSD - let me know if the sheath I made for you fit properly. If not, I'll make the adjustments right after the holiday.

j4l

Excellent, ty! And I do hope you enjoy it.
When I made the leg-strap to the dimensions you provided, I was sort of scratching my head, because I was like "??" Seemed like it may be a bit small/thin.
My own calf, requires about 14-16 inches for the same strap, so yours seemed like it may be a bit small lol.
But if it fits- excellent.

j4l

And- just got the mail. Ty, again.
And ty, for the kind letter as well, I appreciate the feedback.
Let me know anytime you need anything.