• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Violence Policy Center goes ballistic!

paramedic70002

There have been a handful of permit holders who have murdered or committed other crimes. It is impossible to amass a group of people and not expect some of them to screw up something. Even the CIA has had a couple of spies turned and the Army has had soldiers commit fratricide. Lets not give them ammo by denying the truth. I'm sure the percentage of criminal permit holders nationwide is statistically insignificant at best.

There has been also one, ONE, police officer who committed a murder with a fully automatic rifle. I guess they'll be calling all police officers "machine gun killers" once us permit holders are vanquished.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I read in one of my monthly gun magazines that leo's kill innocent people 8 times more than legally armed citizens, doctors are way past that percentage, cars, electricity, water, plastic bags are too, yet they want to attack firearms and the folks that legally carry them!?!? I do believe they have lost their argument, and now, more than ever, they are gonna lie, lie, lie, hoping someone will believe them. The good news is the percentage of Americans that own firearms is at an all time high, and the percentage of people that want handguns banned and so called " assault weapons," is at an all time low. More democrats own firearms than years previous as well. Everyone is coming around, the facts are on our side, More Guns=Less Crime is not just a feel good statement, it's the truth!

MKEgal

skidmark said:
Last time I was there (a few years ago) they had a security door. Not sure if it was bullet-resistant or not, but I'd bet it was. And no, I don't think they were paranoid for having it.
Why would they need a bullet-resistant door?
DC prohibits firearms outside the home unless unloaded & encased, or carried by a LEO.
That prevents gun crimes, right?
[/sarcasm]

Eventually, those who are rabid anti-rights types will be all alone in their self-imposed hellhole of fear while those who are only supporting them out of ignorance finally pay attention to the mountain of facts & realize they've been royally had.

since9

Campaign Veteran
And this from the same folks whose website says: "Household Gun Ownership Hits New Low--Fewer Than One Out of Three American Households Has a Gun."

In reality, it's been increasing. The problem, according to the American Firearms Organization, is "research into firearms and violent crime is fraught with difficulties, associated with limited data on gun ownership and use, firearms markets, and aggregation of crime data." - Source They report somewhere between 40% and 50% of all households have firearms, while the VPC says it's less than 33%.

Therefore, right off the bat, the VPC is at least 7% off, and could be as high as 17%. That's not huge, but it raises the question as to why they're fudging the numbers. I suspect it's to try and drum up support, sort of a "We're winning! Contribute now and help us swing the door shut on this issue!"

Phooey. The stats I've read put the percentage in the high 40s, and one study claimed it crested 50% in the last year or two.

The point is, the VPC is willing to lie, so they've no credibility anyway. As the NRA states, "Studies for Congress, the Congressional Research Service, the Library of Congress, the National Institutes of Justice, the National Academy of Sciences, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have found no evidence that gun control reduces crime." - Source: Roth, Koper, et al., "Impact Evaluation of the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act of 1994," 3/13/97, www.urban.org/url.cfm?ID=406797; Reedy, Koper, "Impact of handgun types on gun assault outcomes: a comparison of gun assaults involving semiautomatic pistols and revolvers," Injury Prevention 2003, http://ip.bmjjournals.com/cgi/reprint/9/2/151; Koper et al., "Report to the National Institute of Justice, An Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban: Impacts on Gun Markets and Gun Violence, 1994-2003," 6/04, www.sas.upenn.edu/jerrylee/jlc-new/Research/Koper_aw_final.pdf; Wm. J. Krouse, Congressional Research Service Report for Congress, "Semiautomatic Assault Weapons Ban," 12/16/04; Library of Congress, "Firearms Regulations in Various Foreign Countries," 5/98, LL98-3, 97-2010; Task Force on Community Preventive Service, "First Reports Evaluating the Effectiveness of Strategies for Preventing Violence: Firearms Laws," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 10/03/03, www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm; Nat`l. Research Council, "Firearms and Violence: A Critical Review," Nat`l. Academies Press, 2005, http://books.nap.edu/books/0309091241/html/index.html.

I think those references are sufficiently objective, varied, and professional so as to blow any claim by the VPC to the contrary clean out of the water.

No wonder the VPC is going ballistic (nuts). They're already nuts, married to an ideal, and out of touch with reality.